Diesel Stoves

Clodi

Featured Posts

Are you sure you can run this on 35 sec oil. Check the Manufacturers Instructions. I think you will find that they are designed for 28 sec (kerosene) oil. Running on diesel may need burner modification for preheating fuel, and the flue implications need to be investigated.

37 minutes ago, Robbo said:

If your powering the hob via batteries then rethink it.

The problem with the 12V FB group imho is that it’s run by one chap who’s supported by our very own Graham.m and they brook no arguments. So it results in a very biased view of the world. 

12 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Are you sure you can run this on 35 sec oil. Check the Manufacturers Instructions. I think you will find that they are designed for 28 sec (kerosene) oil. Running on diesel may need burner modification for preheating fuel, and the flue implications need to be investigated.

The Heritage runs on diesel, the Uno is designed for narrowboats.

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

The problem with the 12V FB group imho is that it’s run by one chap who’s supported by our very own Graham.m and they brook no arguments. So it results in a very biased view of the world. 

I came off the group because of the admins behind it.

I'll answer your question as opposed to criticising your choices. 

We had a Heritage Duette Compact on a previous boat. It was, quite simply, the best thing since that oft quoted sliced bread. If I was spec img a new boat it would be a given. They're Quiet, radiators heated up as quick if not quicker than a good domestic installation and equally quick to heat up the calorifier. But with just the oven/s on the boat was nice n toasty much of the time. There is a downside though in summer, especially as the UNO has just the one burner. Contrary to the manufacturers claims, they do get hot to the touch so it's a case of hatches and windows open. My ideal would be to have a 2 burner gas hob fir the summer (maybe under a removable section of worktop) and of course other means of making hot water when not cruising although it could be turned on for an hour or so. The Heritage stoves (both domestic and marine) are popular with the engineers who service/work on them.  I can't remember the consumption but may have notes somewhere. Don't forget they also use power to fire up. 

7 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

I'll answer your question as opposed to criticising your choices. 

We had a Heritage Duette Compact on a previous boat. It was, quite simply, the best thing since that oft quoted sliced bread. If I was spec img a new boat it would be a given. They're Quiet, radiators heated up as quick if not quicker than a good domestic installation and equally quick to heat up the calorifier. But with just the oven/s on the boat was nice n toasty much of the time. There is a downside though in summer, especially as the UNO has just the one burner. Contrary to the manufacturers claims, they do get hot to the touch so it's a case of hatches and windows open. My ideal would be to have a 2 burner gas hob fir the summer (maybe under a removable section of worktop) and of course other means of making hot water when not cruising although it could be turned on for an hour or so. The Heritage stoves (both domestic and marine) are popular with the engineers who service/work on them.  I can't remember the consumption but may have notes somewhere. Don't forget they also use power to fire up. 

Thank you for an honest answer to my original question.

It always amuses me how people's first reaction is to criticise anything 'different' to their norm'.

Forty years ago we were criticised for opting to live 'afloat' and inland boaters basically could be split into 2 types, the 'shiny' boat type and the others, allowing for all sorts of wonderful eccentricities along the way, sadly, like society in general anything our open mindfulness & tolerance of 'difference' is disappearing.

1 hour ago, Clodi said:

Thank you for an honest answer to my original question.

It always amuses me how people's first reaction is to criticise anything 'different' to their norm'.

What was wrong with my suggestions?

1 hour ago, Clodi said:

The only criticism I’ve seen in this thread is of concepts that won’t work. Like a halogen hob. Nothing to do with the norm per se; things have only become the norm because history has taught us that they work.

However, it’s your boat, you do what you like with it. 

9 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

Contrary to the manufacturers claims, they do get hot to the touch so it's a case of hatches and windows open. My ideal would be to have a 2 burner gas hob fir the summer (maybe under a removable section of worktop) and of course other means of making hot water when not cruising 

Careful, you’ll be accused of criticising the OP because his ideas aren’t ‘the norm’. 

• Greenie 2

27 minutes ago, Robbo said:

What was wrong with my suggestions?

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

The only criticism I’ve seen in this thread is of concepts that won’t work. Like a halogen hob. Nothing to do with the norm per se; things have only become the norm because history has taught us that they work.

However, it’s your boat, you do what you like with it. 

Careful, you’ll be accused of criticising the OP because his ideas aren’t ‘the norm’. 

I'm grateful for all comments & your views and comments are very helpful, it's interesting hearing what works or doesn't for some people, for example the Halogen Hob, why won't it work in the summer months when there (hopefully) will be a surplus of solar energy going spare?

As for 'Careful, you’ll be accused of criticising the OP' ,  please don't worry, I'm not accusing anyone of criticising my ideas, indeed all opinions are most welcome. However what suits one person may not suit the next, it doesn't mean that only one way is right.

I'm not really worried about future resale value either, in fact the lack of gas on board a boat is a tick in favor in my book.

5 minutes ago, Clodi said:

the Halogen Hob, why won't it work in the summer months when there (hopefully) will be a surplus of solar energy going spare?

You don’t say how much Solar you’re fitting so let’s assume that you’re going quite big and fitting 1kW. On average, on the brightest summer days that’s likely to give you somewhere around 500W. A single 1kW hob ring will therefore be pulling something like 40A from the Batteries. Obviously when the sun isn’t shining as brightly this will be worse. The more you cycle your batteries the shorter their life will be. Gibbo’s maxim was always “anyone who uses electricity to generate heat on a boat is mad!” for a very good reason. 

Take a read of the link I provided earlier in the thread of a member here called Kev. He did a lovely fitout of a widebeam and ignored all the advice not to go for an electric cooker. Eventually experience forced him to accept that the advice was correct and he exchanged it.  

12 minutes ago, Clodi said:

I'm not really worried about future resale value either, in fact the lack of gas on board a boat is a tick in favor in my book.

Perhaps so but it will be a black mark against it for most potential purchasers. 

• Greenie 1

I f you have an air cooled engine a tube can e run from the bilge to the engines fly wheel vicinity, where the suction fan is. Any gas will be sucked out over board. With a water cooled engine a gas sealed electric fan pump could do the same to purge the bilge, like inboard petrol engined boats have, or should have.

1 hour ago, Clodi said:

I'm grateful for all comments & your views and comments are very helpful, it's interesting hearing what works or doesn't for some people, for example the Halogen Hob, why won't it work in the summer months when there (hopefully) will be a surplus of solar energy going spare?

Depends on how much you use the Halogen Hob and how much solar you use.   However surplus solar is only really available in the summer months and if your cooking tea it tends to be later in the day when solar won't help so you will be getting the majority of the power from your batteries.  What batteries are you planning?    So lets say you have your Halogen hob on making tea, 2kw and 1kw hob for around 15mins - you will be using around 50ah from the batteries.  This will take around 60ah of solar to replace (due to inefficiencies).   If you have around 1kw of solar which is a fair amount of roof space!,  this will take around 1hr to replace in summer in perfect conditions.   But what about the non perfect conditions?   We could increase battery bank size to cover non-solar days, lets say 3 days worth, this will be around 3 extra 110ah batteries, but then may need around 3hrs of perfect sunshine.  What happens if we have quite a few more dull days?   This is on top, of what a average boat uses of around 60-100ah per day.

So we have;  A roof full of solar and a increased battery bank size.   All this for a hob to make around 15mins of Halogen time / day in the depths of summer!

Even the other non-gas options are not perfect.  The Wallas hob i'm looking at, is fairly slow to heat up (10mins) and fairly expensive.   You can use it as a source of heating tho.   

If it was me, and I was installing the Uno and wanted no gas I would see how the Uno goes for you in summer time.   If your serious about the Halogen, you'll need to do a power audit and work from that to see if its viable.

Edited by Robbo

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

to purge the bilge, like inboard petrol engined boats have, or should have.

We own moorings on the Great Ouse and most of the (older boats there) don't, some don't even have an automatic bilge pump !

As for the Uno in summer, That depends on a lot of variables including the boats insulation etc.

We lived very comfortably with the Rayburn which was an older model and gave off a lot more heat than equivalent versions.

I haven't definitely sorted the solar/battery combination yet. Whatever I like the look of I shall be begging advice and reassurance on the forums. I hope to find a good deal at Chirk but know a fool and his dosh are easily parted which is why my wife guards my debit card.

Must admit I'm tempted to go down the Lithium route, or I may just buy cheap lead/acid hoping lithium batteries come down in price before they die.

But that's for another question.

Edited by Clodi