Swivel Bridge

BruceinSanity

Featured Posts

Walking back from the Farm Shop at Haywood to our mooring on Tixall today, SWMBO asked "why is it called Swivel Bridge?"  I've had a search on the site but can't find if it's been asked before. It doesn't look like it's ever been a swing bridge. Is it a local name?

Thank you Bruce for asking this question which we've wondered about for 30+ years. We've been unable to find the answer altho' we didn't ask the Forum. Canalplan states that its also known as Cavan's bridge.

I have also wondered why it is swivel bridge but also not yet found an explanation.

All I found was the brief comment "The final bridge leading to the water meadows, is called the swivel bridge, although now it is a simple brick arch. " on http://www.tixall-ingestre-andrews.me.uk/tixall/txlcanal.html so maybe it used to be a swivel bridge.

Early canals often used swing or swivel bridges as they were cheaper to build than brick or stone bridges. However, where the road was well used, or used by someone of influence, they could be converted. The 1790 L&LC Act had a clause specifically prohibiting swing bridges, except where agreed with local people and land owners, the clause being inserted because of the problems cause by existing swing bridges. Swing bridges usually had no attendant, but because Lord Derby was held up by a bridge having been left open, the L&LC employed a bridge keeper at that bridge who was called Handcock, hence Handcock's Bridge at Aintree.

7 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Walking back from the Farm Shop at Haywood to our mooring on Tixall today, SWMBO asked "why is it called Swivel Bridge?"  I've had a search on the site but can't find if it's been asked before. It doesn't look like it's ever been a swing bridge. Is it a local name?

It was originally a swing bridge, see page 29 of link.https://www.staffordbc.gov.uk/sites/default/files/cme/DocMan1/Planning Policy/Conservation/Conservation Areas/Conservation Areas List/Staffs-and-Worcs-Canal-Conservation-Area-Appraisal.pdf

Edited by Flyboy

5 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Very interesting. Not sure about the issue of the lack of a string course and there's a lack of evidence other than assumption from the bridge name, something we could all manage. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that it's a weak argument in the absence of original documents.

The approaches are well built up, so if there was a replacement, it must have been very thorough. I'm not aware of swing bridges being used anywhere else on the Staffs and Worcs.

12 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Very interesting. Not sure about the issue of the lack of a string course and there's a lack of evidence other than assumption from the bridge name, something we could all manage. I'm not saying it's wrong, just that it's a weak argument in the absence of original documents.

The approaches are well built up, so if there was a replacement, it must have been very thorough. I'm not aware of swing bridges being used anywhere else on the Staffs and Worcs.

This is Farnhill Hall Bridge on the L&LC. It was built to replace the swing bridge here circa 1840, and is of similar quality to the other arch bridges on the canal. You can tell tyhe date of construction of L&LC bridges by their style of stonework. Almost all the bridges between Aintree and Liverpool were originally built as swing bridges, being replaced as road traffic increased.

Farnhill Hall Bridge.jpg

15 hours ago, Pluto said:

Early canals often used swing or swivel bridges as they were cheaper to build than brick or stone bridges. However, where the road was well used, or used by someone of influence, they could be converted. The 1790 L&LC Act had a clause specifically prohibiting swing bridges, except where agreed with local people and land owners, the clause being inserted because of the problems cause by existing swing bridges. Swing bridges usually had no attendant, but because Lord Derby was held up by a bridge having been left open, the L&LC employed a bridge keeper at that bridge who was called Handcock, hence Handcock's Bridge at Aintree.

Further to this, nearly all the Coal Canal's accommodation bridges were swivel bridges when it opened, including one carrying the towpath of the Kennet and Avon over the entrance lock. As the funds became available most (bit not all) were replaced with masonry arches, including the one at the entrance. The entrance bridge has now come full circle and is a lift bridge again. 

We are also considering restoration of islolated lengths using Oxford type lift bridges as canoes and dinghies will fit under them, and larger craft will be very infrequent: same idea, when funds permit proper bridges will be built.

• 2 weeks later...

Ian Langford was of the opinion that bridge 108 Swivel, or Cavans, Bridge was rebuilt after 1835 (as this was the time when machine made bricks started to be be incorporated into buildings etc) and the existing structure is built using brindled engineering bricks. Ian noted that as far as he knew only two swing bridges existed on the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal. the other was north of Kidderminster.

The Kidderminster Swing Bridge was near Broadwaters Forge as shown on the 6in Ordnance Survey (1882)...

Broadwaters.png

Edited by Heartland