Bristol floating harbour

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, pete harrison said:

Quite, I feel fortunate that I am no longer a slave to my house - something I was talking to my lads at work about last night. At the same time I am a little disturbed that I will never be able to afford to move closer to my sons in the south when I retire :captain:

You could always live on a boat. There's this really knowledgeable chap on here called Pete ... oh hang on!

1 hour ago, pete harrison said:

And he is in the process of buying a boat :captain:

You need a unique boat though! I see ANNA is back up for sale after Alan sold her last year. (Lorenz #2 custom 1/2 scale model of a Leeds Liverpool short boat ... My wife wouldn't let me buy her, but Alan would have!)

Edited by TheBiscuits

I worked in Bristol for nearly ten years, and I would not give you tuppence for the place, traffic and air pollution were awful. I much prefer Bath, although I hardly ever go there either these days, the Wiltshire countryside is much nicer.

27 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I worked in Bristol for nearly ten years, and I would not give you tuppence for the place, traffic and air pollution were awful. I much prefer Bath, although I hardly ever go there either these days, the Wiltshire countryside is much nicer.

Agreed.

3 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Must admit I'm compleatly baffled as to where it is.

:)

Its the Jolly Sailor, i was wrong, its on the left not right, about 1 mile down from Saltford. Narrowboaters Minimal list on you tube done a review i believe on the indian food some time back. May have changed since then.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAbHpFGAwS0

Check at 11.00 mins.

Edited by Mike Hurley

the Jolly Sailor is at the next lock downstream - bloody difficult to use that lock when the pub is busy - peeps swear at you whenever you try to open the top gates because it is inconvenient for them to cross over to the beer garden.  go through at 9am next morning and the lock gear is covered in spilt food and empty glasses.  I hate that lock nearly as much as Bath Weston where I had an accident with the windlass key. 

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Batheaston is nice as is Lacock both places we ran pubs in the area and both enjoyable. I think Bath is nice due to it being small whilst Bristol being larger suffers from big city grott.

35 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Batheaston is nice as is Lacock both places we ran pubs in the area and both enjoyable. I think Bath is nice due to it being small whilst Bristol being larger suffers from big city grott.

Every large town or city has its 'grott', it just depends how 'rose tinted your glasses' are as to whether you can see it :captain:

3 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

Its the Jolly Sailor, i was wrong, its on the left not right, about 1 mile down from Saltford. Narrowboaters Minimal list on you tube done a review i believe on the indian food some time back. May have changed since then.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAbHpFGAwS0

Check at 11.00 mins.

Cheers

:)

54 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

Every large town or city has its 'grott', it just depends how 'rose tinted your glasses' are as to whether you can see it :captain:

True, but believe me Bristol has far more "grott" than Bath. I have worked in both of them, and my work took me into the poorer parts of both cities.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Which pub did you run in Lacock? The "Red Lion" is one of our regulars.

Edited by David Schweizer

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

True, but believe me Bristol has far more "grott" than Bath. I have worked in both of them, and my work took me into the poorer parts of both cities.

Which pub did you run in Lacock? The "Red Lion" is one of our regulars.

We ran the Red Lion. Had lovely rooms upstairs and we were very busy its a popular tourist location as  you will know.

4 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I would imagine the size of any town or city will be directly proportional to the amount of 'grott', and Bristol being considerably bigger than Bath will clearly have more :captain:

3 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Having lived in both I find Bath has far too many tourists, as a student in Bath we were often encouraged to find another pub to drink in so as not to put off the tourists.

Some people would suggest that there are too many Students.

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Yes we like the Red Lion, when did you run it?

95/96 Did realy well then moved to a superb place in Oxfordshire. (Same  brewery )

Edited by mrsmelly

4 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Having lived in both I find Bath has far too many tourists, as a student in Bath we were often encouraged to find another pub to drink in so as not to put off the tourists.

I was about to write something about the snobbery in Bath compared to Bristol but I resisted - well until now anyway :captain:

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

95/96 Did realy well then moved to a superb place in Oxfordshire.

You will remember Joan then, she is still there.

5 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I was about to write something about the snobbery in Bath compared to Bristol but I resisted - well until now anyway :captain:

I don't recall Bath being particularly Snobbish, It  certainly felt a lot safer and more friendly than some parts of Bristol, where it was decidedly unwise to venture at night.

Edited by David Schweizer

Just now, David Schweizer said:

You will remember Joan then, she is still there.

:lol: Small world. I used to call her " The old bat " we got on well with her and her husband Richard, she still sends me christmas cards. Next time you see her tell her you know she used to be called the old bat and swing from the ceiling and she will know straight away who you have been speaking (typing ) to :cheers: