Diesel Problem

Rob-M

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, cuthound said:

If you have a flush diesel deck fitting, like this,

https://www.asap-supplies.com/deck-fittings-and-hardware/deck-fillers-filler-caps/diesel-deck-fillers/deck-filler-brass-305000

Then check the flat "O" ring isn't letting water into your tank every time it rains.  I change mine every couple of years. 

Mine is not a flat washer but a conventional O ring, the cap being machined to take one. I replace it at every fill. 

The cap on the water tank does have flat washer though. 

1 hour ago, pearley said:

Mine is not a flat washer but a conventional O ring, the cap being machined to take one. I replace it at every fill. 

The cap on the water tank does have flat washer though. 

Careful now, I got ridiculed for doing that! Seems it is foolish to replace a 50p o ring when adding 100 quids worth of diesel and additive of choice! I always cover the filler with a plastic sheet if moored for a longish time. Nearly trashed our Vetus at 12 months old, with water in the tank, so to me, a 50p washer is a no-brainer, as is covering the filler. But what do I know?

Edited by Guest

42 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Careful now, I got ridiculed for doing that! Seems it is foolish to replace a 50p o ring when adding 100 quids worth of diesel and additive of choice! I always cover the filler with a plastic sheet if moored for a longish time. Nearly trashed our Vetus at 12 months old, with water in the tank, so to me, a 50p washer is a no-brainer, as is covering the filler. But what do I know?

Well 100 rings from eBay for about £7 so will last me a few years. Mind you, at this time of year we fill every couple of weeks.. 

Edited by pearley

Personally if I bought a boat, even a brans new one, that had the flush type fuel filler I would be getting it changed for a raised one with a female screw down cap. Water can not run uphill so there is no need to worry about O rings etc.  Might no look as flash but a far less potential problem.

Even if you do fit new O rings frequently rain will collect around the cap above the O ring so when you take the cap out some water must drop into the tan. Once in there it will be covered with fuel so can not evaporate and over the years it gradually builds up.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, pearley said:

Well 100 rings from eBay for about £7 so will last me a few years. Mind you, at this time of year we fill every couple of weeks.. 

Good tip I will take a look on Ebay:) 

20 hours ago, cuthound said:

If you have a flush diesel deck fitting, like this,

https://www.asap-supplies.com/deck-fittings-and-hardware/deck-fillers-filler-caps/diesel-deck-fillers/deck-filler-brass-305000

Then check the flat "O" ring isn't letting water into your tank every time it rains.  I change mine every couple of years. 

That is similar to mine with a flat washer under the cap. I have found that replacement washers, bought from chandlers at about 70p a time are crap and swell, this results in them nipping under the filler and stopping it sealing properly. As I put in another post I have now sourced some Nitrile ones on ebay that I am trying. First look seems good.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263260243710

4 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Personally if I bought a boat, even a brans new one, that had the flush type fuel filler I would be getting it changed for a raised one with a female screw down cap. Water can not run uphill so there is no need to worry about O rings etc.  Might no look as flash but a far less potential problem.

Even if you do fit new O rings frequently rain will collect around the cap above the O ring so when you take the cap out some water must drop into the tan. Once in there it will be covered with fuel so can not evaporate and over the years it gradually builds up.

Agree 100% on all points. I hate the filler cap on our boat (along with the brass fender eyes, and roof vents.)

Edited by Guest

10 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Agree 100% on all points. I hate the filler cap on our boat. 

If its an ordinary filler that sits on top of the tank I would pay a welder to fit a BSP nipple and cap. There are ways to ft a padlock or otherwise cause problems for potential fuel thieves for raised fillers like this.

Even back in early 70s I only had one source for nice looking raised deck fillers and I have not heard of them for years.

Edited to add

Much to my amazement that company is still selling but no raised filler but found this https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/chrome-deck-filler

For a typical narrowboat I would drill a 8mm+ hole through the side of the bit that a hose might clip onto so air can escape once the level in the tank is higher than the end of the tube. That way a blocked breather would not cover the filler upper with diesel spray when it blows back. Great care would be needed in respect of sealing the fitting to the hull and also sealing the  fixings. I think I would rather trust a decent welder to get a  watertight weld but the linked to part is a DIY job as long as you can drill & tap..

Edited by Tony Brooks

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

If its an ordinary filler that sits on top of the tank I would pay a welder to fit a BSP nipple and cap. There are ways to ft a padlock or otherwise cause problems for potential fuel thieves for raised fillers like this.

Even back in early 70s I only had one source for nice looking raised deck fillers and I have not heard of them for years.

Edited to add

Much to my amazement that company is still selling but no raised filler but found this https://www.sheridanmarine.com/product/chrome-deck-filler

For a typical narrowboat I would drill a 8mm+ hole through the side of the bit that a hose might clip onto so air can escape once the level in the tank is higher than the end of the tube. That way a blocked breather would not cover the filler upper with diesel spray when it blows back. Great care would be needed in respect of sealing the fitting to the hull and also sealing the  fixings. I think I would rather trust a decent welder to get a  watertight weld but the linked to part is a DIY job as long as you can drill & tap..

our previous boat was thus, I should have known better!

I suspect a 1 1/4" nipple could be screwed and sealed straight into one of those flush deck fillers so a BSP cap can be screwed onto it. 

Thief resistance is achieved with a nice big gate valve in the hose inside the boat from the filler to the tank.

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thief resistance is achieved with a nice big gate valve in the hose inside the boat from the filler to the tank.

A lot of narrowboats don't have that as an option - certainly our last 3 have had integral tanks with the filler going directly into the tank - the rear deck IS the top of the tank. Makes it very easy for 'dipping' to decide if its time to fill up.

I had a piece of dowel calibrated in 20 litre markings with a 'never go below' mark.

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

A lot of narrowboats don't have that as an option - certainly our last 3 have had integral tanks with the filler going directly into the tank - the rear deck IS the top of the tank. Makes it very easy for 'dipping' to decide if its time to fill up.

I had a piece of dowel calibrated in 20 litre markings with a 'never go below' mark.

You too!

Phil 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I suspect a 1 1/4" nipple could be screwed and sealed straight into one of those flush deck fillers so a BSP cap can be screwed onto it. 

Interesting thought. What sealant would be best for diesel?

21 minutes ago, catweasel said:

My dipstick is in gallons; none of this "litre" nonsense on my boat ;)

Mine is in inches

That's because I use my extending steel tape measure; I poke it down the hole until it just ripples the surface so it doesn't get covered in diesel, and this me shows the distance from the top of the 28" tank

12 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Mine is in inches

That's because I use my extending steel tape measure; I poke it down the hole until it just ripples the surface so it doesn't get covered in diesel, and this me shows the distance from the top of the 28" tank

"Hello Mr Diesel Man, I'd like 24" of diesel please"