inspection hatch

Featured Posts

hi all,after a trip out on my semi trad nb before Christmas i got a coal bag around my prop, i had a hell of a job to remove it mainly because of the access to the weed hatch,i had to crawl over a hot engine and somehow had to lift out the weed hatch cover at arms length,it seemed to be a rather simple job turned into a nightmare,so i thought about cutting a hatch in the back deck above the weed hatch to make it a lot easier to access the prop, my question is has anybody done this or does anybody no someone who could do this for me ,i`m in the notts/derby border area, many thanks

7 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Often easier to use a cabin shaft from the bank to pull stuff of the prop than to deal with a badly designed weedhatch. It's what those of us without a weedhatch have to do every time!

I quite agree.  However, there are occasions when this is a real pain.

I put a hidden weed hatch in Owl.  

weedhatch18.jpg.4c34230e8723e8a38fe5acb6eaae942f.jpg

weedhatch22.jpg.62b89145bed9776fc9ed8156e0d34364.jpg

weedhatch21.jpg.27781a7223b16f3e7434e28778472c18.jpg

Backdeck3.jpg.2d2e606659b9ad017d2189bfac5d34d4.jpg

Because there was plenty of space between the uxter plate and the back deck, I could reach through the weed hatch from inside the boat.  So I was able to put a wooden covering.  

10 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

10 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

weedhatch21.jpg.27781a7223b16f3e7434e28778472c18.jpg

I bet that would be pain to use. Can you actually get your head and shoulders in so that you can get an arm down the wedhatch to remove whatever and be able to see what you are doing at the same time?

Edited by David Mack

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I bet that would be pain to use. Can you actually get your head and shoulders in so that you can get an arm down the wedhatch to remove whatever and be able to see what you are doing at the same time?

I was surprised how easy it was to reach right down to the prop shaft.  I had put a trapdoor in the back deck under the wood, but I never used it.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Often easier to use a cabin shaft from the bank to pull stuff of the prop than to deal with a badly designed weedhatch. It's what those of us without a weedhatch have to do every time!

i`m going to show my ignorance now and ask what a cabin shaft is ? is it a barge poll with some kind of hook on the end ?

48 minutes ago, dreadnought said:

i`m going to show my ignorance now and ask what a cabin shaft is ? is it a barge poll with some kind of hook on the end ?

Yes it is - they are really useful bits of kit for many functions.

Alex Ramsey at Sileby Mill would be able to modify your rear deck to incorporate access above the weed hatch. Sileby has all the cutting and welding gear required to do the job.

2 hours ago, dreadnought said:

Yes. A shaft 6-8 ft long with a hook on the end like this:s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galvanized-Boat-Hook-Head-250mm/112714979429?hash=item1a3e561865:g:C5sAAOSwAC5ZbgIH

If you are going to use it to pull stuff off the prop you will need a proper steel hook as shown, and not the flimsy plastic or brass ones which may be easier to find in the chandleries.

3 hours ago, jddevel said:

Looking at the pictures makes me wonder whether anyone has every considered a plate glass lid to view during inspections?

I did try once with a 12mm sheet of Acrylic, it worked for a while, but over time it became opaque from the water blasting. 

18 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

I did try once with a 12mm sheet of Acrylic, it worked for a while, but over time it became opaque from the water blasting. 

Thanks for that. Think I`ll have a chat with glass supplier. Trouble is I suppose that the water is bound to contain some damaging items such as sand and gravel.