Thinking about a mini-stove

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

and best to avoid sparks, would a manual pump do?

Bilge blowers are ignition protected. They’d not be a lot of use if they caused the very thing they’re designed to avoid. 

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

I can get flexible car exhaust pipes. That'll come in handy with getting the flue to the window. It'd save in buying a lot of angle pieces.

For a small flue I'd be tempted to take it out the roof where the air vent now is.

Could make a small 'false hatch' over the hole incorporating some sort of collar and some rockwall insulation. Hatch frame could be stuck down with acrylic sealant and fixed to the existing air vent holes via metal straps or plates.

6 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Any idea what the proper name is for the things that you use to secure pipes to a wall, but keeping the pipe at a distance from the wall?

Trying to find a couple of them at 50mm/2in and metal.

Almost impossible.  :banghead:

Munsen rings. You can get them from Screwfix or eBay.

Edited by David Mack

3 minutes ago, smileypete said:

For a small flue I'd be tempted to take it out the roof where the air vent now is.

Could make a small 'false hatch' over the hole incorporating some sort of collar and some rockwall insulation. Hatch frame could be stuck down with acrylic sealant and fixed to the existing air vent holes via metal straps or plates.

or one of these 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/142530508702?chn=ps&adgroupid=46622246639&rlsatarget=pla-380277475171&abcId=1128946&adtype=pla&merchantid=114993827&poi=&googleloc=9041111&device=c&campaignid=857250873&crdt=0

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Munsen rings. You can get them from Screwfix or eBay.

Christ knows how I was meant to guess 'munsen rings'!  :D

Tricky to get at 50mm, but I think I've sourced some on eBay at a fiver each.

8 minutes ago, rasputin said:

Wouldn't the rubber melt with the heat from the flue?

Oops! Does temps of up to 250C.

This looks like another change of plan! Vent out, one of these squashed traffic cones to support the flue.

19 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Wouldn't the rubber melt with the heat from the flue?

Oops! Does temps of up to 250C.

This looks like another change of plan! Vent out, one of these squashed traffic cones to support the flue.

I have one on my van and one on my boat, no problem with either

I know you're not looking for potential problems but at a glance, three come to mind. One being the length of the flue-especially as it is of a smaller diameter, another being the window next to where you plan to install the stove-if it opens Co could easily enter your cabin. The last is the seat cushion, which as others have mentioned is vulnerable to stray embers. 

Just now, ronnietucker said:

Any tips on what to seal it down with, and to seal the flue to it?

Was looking at fire concrete stuff.

nooo, seal down with that heat proof silicone stuff , no need to seal the flue, you cut the hole smaller than the flue, it seals itself, mine dont leak and get removed and replaced regularly. 

1 minute ago, rasputin said:

nooo, seal down with that heat proof silicone stuff , no need to seal the flue, you cut the hole smaller than the flue, it seals itself, mine dont leak and get removed and replaced regularly. 

Heatproof silicone was another one I looked at. I'll grab a tube of that stuff.

2 minutes ago, BWM said:

I know you're not looking for potential problems but at a glance, three come to mind. One being the length of the flue-especially as it is of a smaller diameter, another being the window next to where you plan to install the stove-if it opens Co could easily enter your cabin. The last is the seat cushion, which as others have mentioned is vulnerable to stray embers. 

The length of the flue should be no more than 3ft long (due to change of plan). The window should be OK now as with the Dektite thing (mentioned above) I can put it through the vent hole. Seat cushion will definitely have some aluminium covering the side of it.

19 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Heatproof silicone was another one I looked at. I'll grab a tube of that stuff.

The length of the flue should be no more than 3ft long (due to change of plan). The window should be OK now as with the Dektite thing (mentioned above) I can put it through the vent hole. Seat cushion will definitely have some aluminium covering the side of it.

I think he means too short not too long, 3ft is quite short.

1 hour ago, ronnietucker said:

Any tips on what to seal it down with, and to seal the flue to it?

Was looking at fire concrete stuff.

You just cut the top along one of the marked rings to give a hole slightly smaller than the flue pipe (as in the 3rd pic in the eBay ad linked above) and push the pipe through.

Any reasonable sealant for the base e.g. marineflex or stixall. Doesn't need to be high temp.

32 minutes ago, rasputin said:

Ebay seems to be taking well over a week to deliver anything, i think it might be something to do with the bankholiday

Google dektite flashing and loads of suppliers come up.

14 hours ago, rasputin said:

Ebay seems to be taking well over a week to deliver anything, i think it might be something to do with the bankholiday

Point of order. Ebay don't deliver anything. The sellers individually arrange delivery of the things they sell using ebay.

Oh and another sunshine ray for you.

Bear in mind that no matter how well your stove installation works, it still needs to pass a BSS. And you'll need a new one after installing it as fitting a stove invalidates your current BSS, and therefore your insurance too (probably).

Happy new year!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Point of order. Ebay don't deliver anything. The sellers individually arrange delivery of the things they sell using ebay.

Indeed, by eBay I mean ALL the sellers of this stuff.

Apart from one who could deliver by Friday. Except he wasn't accepting payments. Great.  :banghead:

I think I found an alternative make on Amazon.

Edited by ronnietucker