Thinking about a mini-stove

Featured Posts

How about cutting a hole ( or use the hole you have for the vent ) and seal down with heat silicone a piece of fire board over it with a hole to fit the flu through it and use heat silicone around the flu to seal the gap between flu and board.  

I would make sure the distance between the flue and GRP is atleast 50mm aswell. more the better to combustable surfaces.

If there are any stove suppliers near you they will sell the flu vents or a some call them `witches hats`

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Point of order. Ebay don't deliver anything. The sellers individually arrange delivery of the things they sell using ebay.

Oh and another sunshine ray for you.

Bear in mind that no matter how well your stove installation works, it still needs to pass a BSS. And you'll need a new one after installing it as fitting a stove invalidates your current BSS, and therefore your insurance too (probably).

Happy new year!

The above is not strictly true.  The BSS site states that:-

"The owner's on-going responsibility: it is crucial to maintain the vessel in good condition in accordance with the safety requirements; and, any other licensing, registration or mooring conditions of the relevant navigation or harbour authority.  The validity of a BSS pass result may be affected and can be cancelled if the vessel is not properly maintained; and/or non-compliant alterations are made; or if a hire boat or other type of non-private boat is examined against the 'private boat' category of BSS checks."

So it would only be a problem if not correctly fitted.  As to insurance, if the boat were to catch fire around the new stove and this was identified by the insurance assessor then you may have problems making a claim if you can not demonstrate correct installation.  When I fitted my stove I had it checked over by a HETAS registered sweep who gave me a cert stating that the installation was compliant.  Eighteen months later I had my BSS and the stove passed without problems.

Added - source of the BSS quote above https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/arranging-the-examination/bss-certification-what-it-is-what-it-is-not/

Edited by Chewbacka

Well, it pays not to guesstimate measurements. It turns out the flue will need to be 4ft long to go from stove to the roof. Here was me thinking 3ft was plenty.

Went down to the boat (and B&Q) this afternoon and ripped out the cupboard. The plan is to have aluminium on both sides of the corner, and the bottom (that the stove will sit on) is a 1/2in stone slab. I'll need to cut the aluminium sheets in a couple of places, but I'll bend one behind the other, and both under the stone slab. I'll have enough off-cuts to make side pieces to protect the cushions. The flue will be a 50mm diameter flexi-tube (held away from the wall using clamps). It'll be 4ft long, and will go out through the hole currently filled by the mushroom vent. I have a roof flashing thing that I'll silicone to the roof and have the flue sticking out.

Hopefully, I have enough off-cuts of aluminium to make a quick, and dirty, rain cover.  :)

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. You folks are invaluable to n00bs like me.

I'll be sure to show a photo of it in a School Days 'Cruise Diary' post.  

19 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

The validity of a BSS pass result may be affected and can be cancelled if the vessel is not properly maintained; and/or non-compliant alterations are made;

Well yes but you quoted the 'gotcha'.

Only a BSS bod can confirm with authority the alterations are compliant, so you might as well get the BSS re-issued while he is there checking it!

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well yes but you quoted the 'gotcha'.

Only a BSS bod can confirm with authority the alterations are compliant, so you might as well get the BSS re-issued while he is there checking it!

Same as a car MOT, I can fit new spot lights or replace my horn and it will not invalidate the MOT, but I am still required to comply with the MOT requirements or I can get pulled over by the police.  However I would personally not get a new MOT just because I had fitted some driving lights, though I would ensure they complied with the regs for fitting.

• Greenie 1

22 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

Any idea what the proper name is for the things that you use to secure pipes to a wall, but keeping the pipe at a distance from the wall?

Trying to find a couple of them at 50mm/2in and metal.

Almost impossible.  :banghead:

Munsen rings?

E.t.a ; http://pipeworksuppliers.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=155

Edited by Iain_S
  • Greenie 1