Icy dawn

rgreg

Featured Posts

18 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

A good day cruising today, if a bit cold, as I have never done any ice breaking before.

Wait til you see what it does to the blacking around your waterline Dr Bob (not to mention on those moored boats you pass) and it might also be your last ice breaking session. :boat:

Just now, Sea Dog said:

Wait til you see what it does to the blacking around your waterline Dr Bob (not to mention on those moored boats you pass) and it might also be your last ice breaking session. :boat:

If there is any ice, we never move inside the boat incase it scrapes the blacking off. Always wait for it to thaw. 

One year we didn't move for three weeks 

16 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If there is any ice, we never move inside the boat incase it scrapes the blacking off. Always wait for it to thaw. 

One year we didn't move for three weeks 

I scrape my blacking in locks and against the edge in the summer. If I didn't move in case I scratched it I might well have bought a static caravan  

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I scrape my blacking in locks and against the edge in the summer. If I didn't move in case I scratched it I might well have bought a static caravan  

Not really the same thing, DC. Everyone gets scrapes, of course, many are unavoidable and not all are taken by the rubbing strakes. Nevertheless, when it comes to ice breaking, taking a scraper to your waterline is a bit closer an analogy than normal day to day scrapes.

46 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

No it was fine today. We opened the front door, turned the EcoFraud round and blew the ice out of  the way to leave a clear path for the boat to go through. Don't you all do that?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Went ice breaking to Braunston, January this year. Ice was only about 1/8" thick. Boat needed re blacking after we got back to the marina

20170116_102732.jpg

20170116_102744.jpg

IMG_20170114_090055059.jpg

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Fascinating. I did a bit of ice breaking several times last winter up to about an inch thick and not even the slightest scar on any of mine.

An inch is norty, specially if it was on the K&A, some of them boats down there are paper thin. But I tend to agree, I suspect the blacking was already failing on the water line, or was put one without removing the loose rust first, it looks rather recent too. With gentle ice breaking, up to maybe 1/4 inch or so, I would expect to see no damage at all

.............Dave.

12 minutes ago, dmr said:

An inch is norty, specially if it was on the K&A, some of them boats down there are paper thin. But I tend to agree, I suspect the blacking was already failing on the water line, or was put one without removing the loose rust first, it looks rather recent too. With gentle ice breaking, up to maybe 1/4 inch or so, I would expect to see no damage at all

.............Dave.

The blacking at the time was about 20 months old, so the boat was due to be reblacked anyway. Your assumption of it being "rather recent" was incorrect. The boat has since been re blacked.

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

.............Dave.

I dint do it near no moored boats....

Was a shame for another lovely poster here last winter, whose widebeam got caught and iced in on the water point at Kintbury for five weeks. Responsibly, they decided not to do any icebreaking :giggles: