Anyone stayed at Coventry Basin?

OliveOyl

Featured Posts

Just now, john6767 said:

Trouble is we done know where our undercover OP is going, I would not say Lawworth is 30 mins to Cov, but then neither is Copt HeTh.

Copt Heath to work is under half an hour. I've done it twice.

1 minute ago, OliveOyl said:

Copt Heath to work is under half an hour. I've done it twice.

Too much guessing here, If you can get to Cov from Copt Heath in under 30 mins, then you are doing well it takes my wife most days an hour and a half from Solihull.

39 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Lapworth then. The roads from there to Cov are not too hard

Richard

We moor in Kingswood Basin at Lapworth.

There is an elsan tip, a pump out machine (self service) and a services block one lock down. There is a water point there too but you will really really annoy anyone using the shower in the services if you use it!

There is another water point hiding by the bridge at the top of Lock 21, same level as the basin, and another between Lock 19 and the road bridge.

Are the winter moorings in the basin or on the link? The are electricity bollards (CaRT account not pre pay) in the basin but not on the link.

Lapworth works for us but some people don't like the train noise or the noise from the M40 when the wind blows from that direction.

Say 'hello' to 'Red Wharf' if you go there.

ETA Thinking about it I seem to recall the winter moorings are on the GU. Further away from the railway, so less noise but the towpath is very muddy along there.

Nearer to the pub though.

Edited by Victor Vectis

I'd recommend that you ask at the Saltisford in Warwick. It's a very nice place and very convenient for south Coventry. About 15 minutes to Warwick Uni or Whitley in the rush hour. They have full services as well. Only downside is that there are lots of boats there at the moment so it may be full. But one option might be to moor just outside the basin on the towpath between it and the Cape, and move the boat back into the basin to use the facilities when needed.

Edit: Saltisford is actually within easy cycling distance of south Cov as well, which might appeal.

Edited by John Brightley

14 hours ago, John Brightley said:

I'd recommend that you ask at the Saltisford in Warwick. It's a very nice place and very convenient for south Coventry. About 15 minutes to Warwick Uni or Whitley in the rush hour. They have full services as well. Only downside is that there are lots of boats there at the moment so it may be full. But one option might be to moor just outside the basin on the towpath between it and the Cape, and move the boat back into the basin to use the facilities when needed.

Edit: Saltisford is actually within easy cycling distance of south Cov as well, which might appeal.

Thank you for the info John B, but if you knew me, you could never, ever, ever, ever, imagine poor Olive cycling anywhere - let alone to work ^_^:D I am a real fair-weather maid, and the thought of 'smudging me massacre' on a bicycle brings a very broad smile to my face!

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

No Ditch, I avoid social media like the plague (yet here I am, on a forum!).

On 22/10/2017 at 21:41, Victor Vectis said:

We moor in Kingswood Basin at Lapworth.

There is an elsan tip, a pump out machine (self service) and a services block one lock down. There is a water point there too but you will really really annoy anyone using the shower in the services if you use it!

There is another water point hiding by the bridge at the top of Lock 21, same level as the basin, and another between Lock 19 and the road bridge.

Are the winter moorings in the basin or on the link? The are electricity bollards (CaRT account not pre pay) in the basin but not on the link.

Lapworth works for us but some people don't like the train noise or the noise from the M40 when the wind blows from that direction.

Say 'hello' to 'Red Wharf' if you go there.

ETA Thinking about it I seem to recall the winter moorings are on the GU. Further away from the railway, so less noise but the towpath is very muddy along there.

Nearer to the pub though.

Near Navigation pub.