Towpath moorings query

Boisdevie

Featured Posts

Just now, cuthound said:

Given that CRT regularly updated contact numbers on their signs by sticking little stickers with the new number over the old one, I really think it should be possible for them on put stickers saying "nights" over the bit where it says "days". Obviously it would have to be a smaller font to get the extra letters in.

Would be nice if they actually updated signs full stop, Ansty and moorings next to the napton bridge pub for one are out of date that i know of.

1 minute ago, Dave Payne said:

Would be nice if they actually updated signs full stop, Ansty and moorings next to the napton bridge pub for one are out of date that i know of.

Out of date in what respect.

What do they say, and what do you think they should say?

Ansty says long term permits holders only, on the south side of bridge 14, this is no longer correct as no long term permit holders moor here.

North side of bridge 111 at the napton bridge pub it states no mooring for a part just north of the winding hole as the trip boat moors there in the summer, no trip boat anymore.

10 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

CRT have repeatedly confirmed that 2 days actually means 2 nights, so that was their current interpretation, irrespective of whatever is stated "in law".

Another typical C&RT 'ism.

So a day can between the hours of sunrise and sunset, it can be any 24 hours, or it can be a 'night' depending on which circumstances they wish to apply at the time.

Then of course there is the dictionary definition : "each of the twenty-four-hour periods, reckoned from one midnight to the next, into which a week, month, or year is divided, and corresponding to a rotation of the earth on its axis."

I though C&RTs definition of 'place' was bad enough with only two options - a place being a boat shaped and boat sized specific position (Dictionary definition : a particular position, point, or area in space; a location) where your boat can be kept, or, a place that is a minimum of 1km from the last place you were at (presumably the 1km 'space' between places is not a place)

52 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Another typical C&RT 'ism.

So a day can between the hours of sunrise and sunset, it can be any 24 hours, or it can be a 'night' depending on which circumstances they wish to apply at the time.

Then of course there is the dictionary definition : "each of the twenty-four-hour periods, reckoned from one midnight to the next, into which a week, month, or year is divided, and corresponding to a rotation of the earth on its axis."

I though C&RTs definition of 'place' was bad enough with only two options - a place being a boat shaped and boat sized specific position (Dictionary definition : a particular position, point, or area in space; a location) where your boat can be kept, or, a place that is a minimum of 1km from the last place you were at (presumably the 1km 'space' between places is not a place)

I think that in this case, they tried to be less prescriptive, and made a mess of it.

Basically, they intend 2 days to mean that if you arrive on Monday, you must leave on Wednesday, but that you could arrive at 10am Monday and leave at 2pm Wednesday and still be OK.

1 hour ago, Dave Payne said:

Ansty says long term permits holders only, on the south side of bridge 14, this is no longer correct as no long term permit holders moor here

Well CRT's "Waterside Moorings" still thinks there are permanent moorings at Ansty.

Linky.

As far as I can see, that site thinks all are let, with no vacancies.

Who has told you otherwise?

For correctness surely there are also signed visitor moorings at Ansty, (admittedly not very much of them, and some not very useable!).

1 minute ago, mayalld said:

I think that in this case, they tried to be less prescriptive, and made a mess of it.

Basically, they intend 2 days to mean that if you arrive on Monday, you must leave on Wednesday, but that you could arrive at 10am Monday and leave at 2pm Wednesday and still be OK.

The mooring ranger I know checks the two day moorings on his patch every couple of weeks, he tells me....

2 minutes ago, mayalld said:

Yes, this is exactly what they have said it means.  You have at least 2 days/48 hours, always.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Well CRT's "Waterside Moorings" still thinks there are permanent moorings at Ansty.

Linky.

As far as I can see, that site thinks all are let, with no vacancies.

Who has told you otherwise?

For correctness surely there are also signed visitor moorings at Ansty, (admittedly not very much of them, and some not very useable!).

Thats the north side of Bridge 14, no visitor moorings that side, only the long term permit holders and the water point.

Before you get to the bridge, on the sharp bend where the pub beer garden over looks the canal, there is a strip with rings from bridge 15 to 14, sign posts say permit holders only, which i believe it used to be but is no longer.

2 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Thats the north side of Bridge 14, no visitor moorings that side, only the long term permit holders and the water point.

Before you get to the bridge, on the sharp bend where the pub beer garden over looks the canal, there is a strip with rings from bridge 15 to 14, sign posts say permit holders only, which i believe it used to be but is no longer.

The fact that a particular length is no longer let as LTMs doesn't make it into VMs.

Particularly where the mooring site is offside, it could just be no mooring now.

On ‎10‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 17:39, Lysander said:

36. Make sure you are not hammering your mooring pin into a wasps' nest. I need hardly tell you how I know this.

especially good when about a foot away from the nest you didn't notice and your hammering has now made them a tad angry, you then have two choices;

1) remove pin ASAP whilst windmilling free arm or dancing about like that Flatley chap hoping you dodge the jaspers.
2) skulk off to the other end of the boat for 10mins whilst they calm down and the particular end decides to make its way back to the centre of the cut.

option two also spawns an extra dilemma, do you warn the rest of the crew or not :giggles:

11 minutes ago, mayalld said:

The fact that a particular length is no longer let as LTMs doesn't make it into VMs.

Particularly where the mooring site is offside, it could just be no mooring now.

Ok, but its not on the offside, and on the two below sites it claims to be visitor moorings.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network

http://www.waterscape.com/things-to-do/boating/guides

Signs at site say long term only.

13 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

As an aside, the problem with 24 hours, 48 hours, etc, is that unless checkers visit a spot at the same time each day, (which generally we are told they will not), then trying to be more precise tha "days", (for which read "nights"!) is pointless.

Car park attendants dont go round every hour , just somewhere between the hour you are allowed to park and the 2 hours before you return, So as long as the mooring warden notes the time he goes round, if you are there for more that the allotted hours then there is no argument, if he goes early one day its possible that you could get an extra 24 hrs without being recorded as overstaying.

What are these mooring wardens claiming they will do if you stay longer than " permitted" ?

Because BW's QC stated to parliament that their only control of moorings was by the two relevant bylaws, which only allow them to physically move a boat if it is causing an obstruction,  ( at their own cost ) this is what the 1995 act was based on, any other methods to control moorings were thrown out of the act, charges or fines were never even mentioned by BW as an option open to them, if they have now changed their minds they need to propose a new act or bylaw or shut up.

Edited by Muddy Ditch Rich

On 11/07/2017 at 20:31, Mike the Boilerman said:

Have you ever seen a one day mooring? 

They are usually labelled 24 hours.

If you want an example of a mooring signed as "1day" (not as 24 hours) then try the bottom of Foxton. We have just come through there and as well as 2 day moorings there are 1 day moorings by the pub.

"1 day" mooring at Wootton Rivers visitor moorings, I have just left there after bang on 24 hrs! I doubt anyone checked, though there is a rumour that someone in the village 'monitors' the moorings ..............

4 hours ago, Meanderingviking said:

"1 day" mooring at Wootton Rivers visitor moorings, I have just left there after bang on 24 hrs! I doubt anyone checked, though there is a rumour that someone in the village 'monitors' the moorings ..............

The fishing bailiff, not sure if he is official. I was walking back to the boat and saw him noting it in his book so engaged him in conversation, mistake, I couldn't get shot of him, then a couple of days later we saw him in a shop somewhere and he latched on to me again. 

On 14/07/2017 at 18:50, Meanderingviking said:

By Jove I think you're right.

I stopped there are few weeks ago and before I'd finished mooring on that 1 day mooring (30 yards from the lock)  I was approached by a bloke telling me I'd left the lock all wrong. I explained I was single handing and would go back and shut the gate once I'd secured the boat. I then commented he'd noticed quickly and he said he'd seen me from his window, pointing at the cottage right by the lock, and that he 'likes to keep an eye on things around here' or some such similar expression.

So this is quite likely to be the bod rumoured to 'monitor' the moorings.

The signs change past the water tap to "two days" IIRC.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

The fishing bailiff, not sure if he is official. I was walking back to the boat and saw him noting it in his book so engaged him in conversation, mistake, I couldn't get shot of him, then a couple of days later we saw him in a shop somewhere and he latched on to me again. 

That sounds like Terry - did he have a bike? 

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

By Jove I think you're right.

I stopped there are few weeks ago and before I'd finished mooring on that 1 day mooring (30 yards from the lock)  I was approached by a bloke telling me I'd left the lock all wrong. I explained I was single handing and would go back and shut the gate once I'd secured the boat. I then commented he'd noticed quickly and he said he'd seen me from his window, pointing at the cottage right by the lock, and that he 'likes to keep an eye on things around here' or some such similar expression.

So this is quite likely to be the bod rumoured to 'monitor' the moorings.

The signs change past the water tap to "two days" IIRC.

It could be the guy at the lock cottage, though I was under the impression it was someone else.

Yes I noticed the change of sign as well, guess it's take your pick what you want to do ........ :D

On 15/07/2017 at 14:37, Meanderingviking said:

That sounds like Terry - did he have a bike? 

It could be the guy at the lock cottage, though I was under the impression it was someone else.

Yes I noticed the change of sign as well, guess it's take your pick what you want to do ........ :D

I stayed for one day on the one day mooring, then I moved a boat length up to the two day mooring, where I styed two days...