What make is our river cruiser!?

Ben phillips

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Ben phillips said:

Hi 

can anyone help us identify our project boat we have bought please!

appreciate the help

thanks ben

IMG_9639.JPG

Good to speak to you at Sileby this morning. I said if you posted on this forum someone would know what it was!!!

Thanks Richard for your help! I'm sure we will be down again in the near future. 

I agree rusty you have more of a challenge than us! But like we had to do is look past the crap and see the potential. Good luck with yours too!

17 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

Good luck with the project, but before you tow that too far, are you aware that the hitch on the trailer is 2" rather than the modern 50mm?

They can and do jump off a 50mm ball.

Are you sure ?

Rice Horse Trailers and Ifor Williams used exactly the same hitch and it was 50mm - the reason they can 'jump-off' is that the spring loaded catch that engages with the hitch-lock fails and the hitch can jump off

For short distances / get you home you tighten it up as above and cable tie the catch into position

Edited by Alan de Enfield

If it is a 2" hitch then, as long as the car's tow hitch has a standard plate at the back, you can remove the 50mm ball and fit a 2" one. If the towball is a gooseneck then obviously you can't do that. 

The torque setting for the ball bolts is FT. 

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you sure ?

Rice Horse Trailers and Ifor Williams used exactly the same hitch and it was 50mm - the reason they can 'jump-off' is that the spring loaded catch that engages with the hitch-lock fails and the hitch can jump off

For short distances / get you home you tighten it up as above and cable tie the catch into position

Fairly. The blue trailer in with no boat on in one of the pics has a standard 50mm ball hitch, the one on the trailer the boat is quite a different shape with a different handle and as far as I know all that style of hitch is 2".

We had the 2" type on some of the farm trailers and I was brought up on warnings of disaster if the wrong ball was used. I simplified this by refusing to tow anything that didn't have 50mm marked on the hitch head - which again, as far as I know the 50mm hitches all do.

We had an Ifor with that style that was definitely imperial.

Edited by Rose Narrowboats

2 hours ago, Ben phillips said:

I agree rusty you have more of a challenge than us! But like we had to do is look past the crap and see the potential. Good luck with yours too!

Not my challenge, but certainly worth a read if you have the time, hes doing a great job

• Greenie 1

Yep i would say a Norm aswell. 

What needs doing and whats the plan ?

Dam good boats and well built. 

54 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Not my challenge, but certainly worth a read if you have the time, hes doing a great job

Thanks Rusty