Jump to content

Live-a-boards!


Jak
 Share

Featured Posts

On 14/06/2017 at 22:09, Jak said:

Is it just me, or since I joined 7 months ago all of the new posters want to buy a live a board, most having no experience of the cut.  I've always enjoyed boating and am proud that we own our own modest craft at last.  Moored on-line on a busy towpath guess what the main topic is from passers by?  Thinking of moving on to a narrowboat, but know very little about it, can you help?  And I do from the limited experience I have and then point them to here.  Does make me wonder if sometime soon the whole system is going to be clogged with people looking for a cheaper life that are put off by the other option "Park Homes".  Maybe I should shut up, but I got here through a love of the inland waterways and a dream to one day own a boat.  Not to find a cheap floating home.

Not me, I have no desire to live aboard, I just want a nice boat to enjoy weekends and holidays on :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 14/06/2017 at 22:09, Jak said:

Is it just me, or since I joined 7 months ago all of the new posters want to buy a live a board, most having no experience of the cut.  I've always enjoyed boating and am proud that we own our own modest craft at last.  Moored on-line on a busy towpath guess what the main topic is from passers by?  Thinking of moving on to a narrowboat, but know very little about it, can you help?  And I do from the limited experience I have and then point them to here.  Does make me wonder if sometime soon the whole system is going to be clogged with people looking for a cheaper life that are put off by the other option "Park Homes".  Maybe I should shut up, but I got here through a love of the inland waterways and a dream to one day own a boat.  Not to find a cheap floating home.

Some of us could only achieve our dream by living on it.

Keith

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The possible outcome of the increased number of folk on the canal living on their boats/owning boats but not wanting to move much if at all might in the future give some office bod in C&rt or who ever is managing the system at the time, will come up with the "well boats don't want to move anyway" so we don't need to dredge, repair locks, possibly breaches, longer stoppages,& the down ward spiral would reduce the ability for folk wanting to cruise & they will find it similar to the 60's & the possibility to cruise more difficult, so they give up & the downward spiral continues & canal tow paths & banks become linear floating? housing estates I have no problem with no move boaters,other than it would be an awful shame if the greater number of this type of canal user prevents the boater who wants to use the system as a means of leisure traveling activity can not or with great difficulty do so.a good number of boaters now are not the enthusiasts of the 60's canal user & don't wish to have a "fight to the death to get along the cut" I do hope this doe's not happen Could be my take is flawed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

The possible outcome of the increased number of folk on the canal living on their boats/owning boats but not wanting to move much if at all might in the future give some office bod in C&rt or who ever is managing the system at the time, will come up with the "well boats don't want to move anyway" so we don't need to dredge, repair locks, possibly breaches, longer stoppages,& the down ward spiral would reduce the ability for folk wanting to cruise & they will find it similar to the 60's & the possibility to cruise more difficult, so they give up & the downward spiral continues & canal tow paths & banks become linear floating? housing estates I have no problem with no move boaters,other than it would be an awful shame if the greater number of this type of canal user prevents the boater who wants to use the system as a means of leisure traveling activity can not or with great difficulty do so.a good number of boaters now are not the enthusiasts of the 60's canal user & don't wish to have a "fight to the death to get along the cut" I do hope this doe's not happen Could be my take is flawed

Well let us bear in mind the reality (shock horror!) which is that there are a lot of boats that do actually move a lot. Hire and share boats, for instance. The hire boat industry is a pretty powerful lobby which will hopefully keep pressure on CRT to keep navigations open. I bet they are ranting at CRT right now due to the disruption caused by the closure of Sutton Stop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well let us bear in mind the reality (shock horror!) which is that there are a lot of boats that do actually move a lot. Hire and share boats, for instance. The hire boat industry is a pretty powerful lobby which will hopefully keep pressure on CRT to keep navigations open. I bet they are ranting at CRT right now due to the disruption caused by the closure of Sutton Stop.

Quite right. The vast majority are hobby boaters who use them even if only in a small area but use them quite a lot. There are countless mile upon mile all over the country of spaces between boats. I have said before its only the crap areas that are full B)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 22:09, Jak said:

Is it just me, or since I joined 7 months ago all of the new posters want to buy a live a board, most having no experience of the cut.  I've always enjoyed boating and am proud that we own our own modest craft at last.  Moored on-line on a busy towpath guess what the main topic is from passers by?  Thinking of moving on to a narrowboat, but know very little about it, can you help?  And I do from the limited experience I have and then point them to here.  Does make me wonder if sometime soon the whole system is going to be clogged with people looking for a cheaper life that are put off by the other option "Park Homes".  Maybe I should shut up, but I got here through a love of the inland waterways and a dream to one day own a boat.  Not to find a cheap floating home.

 

What should be remembered is - if the dues are paid, it is financing the maintenance. How each boater makes use of the canal, within what is possible, is a matter of personal choice. It is not subject to anyone else's idea of what is 'proper' boating. One regulating authority is enough.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.