Content Ideas

Jon

Featured Posts

When I was in school, and it came to weekends we (me and my classmates) always ended up talking about what was happening at the weekend. The same old answer came out of their mouths - go down to the park, with either an array of drugs and alcohol, causing as much trouble as possible. When I told them what I was doing, they always used to say things like "you're going to that boring barge on the smelly camal AGAIN!"

I'd prefer to go to my "boring barge on the smelly canal" than 'hang out' with a bunch of half brained nob'eads every time..

Yeah, i was very much like you.

- I went on the canal, to vintage fairs, sailing, biking, Rc car racing on friday night.

And then just when 'to town' got pissed/stoned, and went to the collage to 'pt sum windo's tro" :lol:

YAY?

Daniel

I'd prefer to go to my "boring barge on the smelly canal" than 'hang out' with a bunch of half brained nob'eads every time..

31800[/snapback]

Old head on young shoulders! you will go far.. :lol: did'nt really have drugs and booze when I was in my late teens, but I used to spend all day light hours playing golf. :D

what no drugs in them days.

read OPERATION JULIE and you will know what the drug of choice was in the 70,s.

pounds shilling,s pence.

funny thing i cant remember how many D,s in a pound

the book is very funny in parts as well,the part were the police raid the farm and come under the influence is very funny.

edit

ps and that was when drugs were drugs,not like the sweets they sell the boys today.

you went up and you stayed up,for days.

Edited by gaggle

£1=20 shillings

1s=12 pence

Therefore £1= (20 X 12) pence = 240 pence.

See! I'm not brain dead yet. :lol:

31845[/snapback]

Explanation for the 'younger 'members

£1 = 20shillings

1s = 5p

Therefore £1 = (20 X 5) p = 100p :D

Edited by bottle

£1=20 shillings

1s=12 pence

Therefore £1= (20 X 12) pence = 240 pence.

See! I'm not brain dead yet. :lol:

31845[/snapback]

it popped back into my head as soon as i clicked on the log off tab.

ah when a ten bob note= 3 pints and 10 no 6 :D

Liam wrote,

Probably a lot safer on the boat too Liam. Sale Station/School Rd on a weekend evening now resembles a war zone. The council have permitted far too many bars to open. Plus there is the rowdy element coming from other areas, where there are hardly any pubs left, due mainly to drug or behaviour problems. :lol:

Liam wrote,

Probably a lot safer on the boat too Liam. Sale Station/School Rd on a weekend evening now resembles a war zone. The council have permitted far too many bars to open. Plus there is the rowdy element coming from other areas, where there are hardly any pubs left, due mainly to drug or behaviour problems.  :lol:

31891[/snapback]

Yeah that's the area.. unfortunately.

A few years back, the police visited the moorings, asking if we'd seen some fella which they described to us.. as this was going on some strange bloke walked onto the moorings and some woman jokingly said "they're not looking for you are they?"

Anyway, it turned out they were, and he'd tried to rob a local off license and when things went wrong he stabbed the shop assistant with a dirty needle and legged it.

He was obviously high and managed to jump over a 6ft fence with barbed wire on the top, onto the train tracks behind. I assisted the police in getting off the mooring (with a key) and told them where he'd run too.

For me, it was like something out of a James Bond movie - it was nice for the police to send a very official letter to me, thanking me for my help :D

This went on for some time, maybe an hour or so, as he was found to be hiding on at least 3 boats, under their cratch covers and tarps etc.

This went on for some time, maybe an hour or so, as he was found to be hiding on at least 3 boats, under their cratch covers and tarps etc.

31911[/snapback]

I know some of us feel getting tough with towpath offenders is a good idea, but wasn't cutting him up and stashing the body amongst numerous boats a bit harsh?

yeah i know :lol:

I know some of us feel getting tough with towpath offenders is a good idea, but wasn't cutting him up and stashing the body amongst numerous boats a bit harsh?

yeah i know  :lol:

32121[/snapback]

And yes he must have been 'high', at least he was when he cleared that 6ft fence with the barbed wire on top.

John, lol!

He was quite lucky really, as after he jumped over the fence, he landed on the train lines. It's a shame an express train didn't run him down.

He was caught though, after 4 police officers eventually had to wrestle him to the ground.

Ahh, life goes on..

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Back to content ideas....

Good idea! LOL

Actually - how about a 'single handed' tips thread?

I've met and talked to quite a few single handers, and have picked up a lot from them - For example: Having an additional roof mounted rope anchoring point fixed forward of the traditional centre point makes for ease of pulling through while locking... (A bit obvious I know, but something I'd not considered)

Bet there's an awful lot of painful lessons, good ideas, and the 'bleeding obvious'* worth sharing?

*Where do they teach the 'bleeding obvious' btw? I'll have to ask my 'ex' - she had a degree in it! :cheers:

Allan

• 4 months later...

dont know if thats been mentionned before, but when listing pubs, services etc, would it make sense to create a topic for each waterway or at least geographical area?

For example, a list of launderettes would prove useful, and probably even more so if it was sectionned in several topics you would just have to open the topic that lists information relating to your location?

the topic listing the best pubs for example was good, but a little hard to read, especially if you arent all that familliar with UK geography...

May I endorse the comment earlier about GRP boats? As we have one and it told me that's it's 'quite happy on the canals even when the big bruisers come to close' I also wondered if we could have a topic for them? There are some who just can't stretch to a narrow boat financially and then there's those like us where one of us (me) has a disability and couldn't physically manage to control the weight of a steel boat when it's on ropes, so if we didn't have a GRP boat we probably wouldn't be able to have any. I must say right away that we have never had any comments passed on to us saying we're 'imposters' or anything other than friendly comments, so when I hear of boaters saying that they feel 'out of place' all I can say is get yourself on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal, it's so friendly, we're on the pound that is East of Foulridge tunnel and if we travel East it's spectacular scenery, going West it's a bit 'daggy' but from our mooring through Skipton on to Bingley it's fantastic. So, I'm all for a topic area for GRP boats.

Best to all for 2007,

Denis :rolleyes:

Welcome Dennis and Betty Anne,

Nobody should feel out of place on this forum, whatever type of boat they have (or haven't got). There's room for everyone. Any questions, just ask - you'll be inundated with helpful (sometimes!) replies.

We've only got a dinghy and outboard - we've probably cruised past you several times as our nearest canal is the L&L.

I'm sure you'll be made very welcome.

Janet

Having had the mooring pins pulled out our boat by a large group of kids on friday night I reckon it would be worth having some kind on list of hot spots worth avoiding, and decent places to moor near them as it's usually town centres.

Having moored in and around Rugeley lately we'd not recommend staying at the visitor moorings or anywhere near the town. Theres been a lot of vandalism and several assaults lateley. However we wouldn't want anyone to right the whole area off. A short distance either side of the town there's some nice places to stop for a day or two. On one sides there's BW long term moorings near Spode Hall House(I think that's the name!) and the villages of Armitage and Handsacre. Canalside pubs and bus stops nearby both. And the other side moorings at Wolesley Bridge/Great Haywood. Some beautiful countryside and again, pub and bus stops nearby and not far from the Chase if you want a decent walk.

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I'm a new member who is 2/3 of the way through a scratch build 60 ' trad. I have a Petter PJ3W and self changing gears gearbox. This fits to the bell housing around the flywheel. I would like some advice from the electrical members if they can help. Is there some kind of formula to calculate respective pulley sizes from engine to alternator. Also, as built my engine has a perfectly good generator system (It was a stationary engine) to charge the starter battery. Is it (a) possible and (:D advisable /or not, to combine generator for starter battery and alternator for "house" batteries bank. The generator system is positive earth so I hope I can isolate both poles so that no current passes through engine or hull