Help required

Featured Posts

i have seen a post on eBay of a narrow boat for sale was in storm it is now re-afloat and in need of a good clean and overhaul.  It has a 1.5 bmc engine which was refurbished just before I brought the boat, this will also need attention,ie emptying of water and re-filling with oil and diesel. When i did the rebuild in 2010 every thing was brand new, ie:- Gas cooker, Gas boiler,Valour multifuel stove, Shower, Pumps,Lighting, Wiring 12v and 240 hook up,etc. These should all be ok with a good drying out and clean. how much time and money would it cost to do this as the inside looks very damp and sustained water damage would it be a total refit? or could this just be cleaned up. new to boating this would be our first project.

s-l1600-8.jpg

s-l1600-7.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Just now, system 4-50 said:

I understand the pictures but I don't understand your post.

I think he's saying "Will it be ok when it's all dried out?"

I think the answer is "No, get a skip". 

11 minutes ago, ocobie said:

basically need to know whether its worth buying and refitting or is it a money pit?

It's certainly a lot of money to refit. Whether it's worth it depends on how much they want for the boat, what condition the hull is in and whether the engine runs. 

Don't place any value on anything other than the empty shell.

Treat any machinery or equipment as shot, unless you clearly see it operating.  Even then regard it as having a short future life.  Then if it's still working in time it's a bonus.

Regarding the need to strip the fit-out or just clean.  How are you going to clean behind the woodwork without stripping it?  Do you know what is behind the panelling? Insulation is going to have soaked up muddy dirt and I'd have thought will stink to high heaven for years.

Have you ever worked in the bottom of a dry dock?  That's what that boat will smell like.

• Greenie 1

I guy where I more bought a refloated boat and he dug out the best part of a skip full of silt from the bilges, also anything that absorbed any water at all stank and had to be thrown away.  Basically he bought a shell at a good discount because of all the work needed to get back to the shell condition.  He was lucky as the engine cleaned up and works, so overall he feels he got a very good deal.

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

I guy where I more bought a refloated boat and he dug out the best part of a skip full of silt from the bilges, also anything that absorbed any water at all stank and had to be thrown away.  Basically he bought a shell at a good discount because of all the work needed to get back to the shell condition.  He was lucky as the engine cleaned up and works, so overall he feels he got a very good deal.

With the cabin on this one being wood, all you'd be buying is a bath tub of unknown quality. 

8 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Probably why there are no bids.

Indeed. 

Assuming that the hull is sound (in which case why did it sink?) it's a blank canvas to build your own narrowboat, if you're so inclined. 

I've never heard of a storm causing a nb to sink.

I think I could believe months of neglect and poor maintenance to allow it to wallow with full bilges, a leaky roof etc and a tatty bit of cheap blue plastic sheeting not helping.

Then perhaps a strong storm might have tipped the scales.

16 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I've never heard of a storm causing a nb to sink.

I think I could believe months of neglect and poor maintenance to allow it to wallow with full bilges, a leaky roof etc and a tatty bit of cheap blue plastic sheeting not helping.

Then perhaps a strong storm might have tipped the scales.

I thought that then considered poor mooring on a river as a possibility, but agree it sounds ifffy. I seam to remember someone had one sink in a storm on a large river but that was about 5 -8 years ago