Safe Birmingham Overnight

lydfordcastle

Featured Posts

I've been invited to a birthday party to be held in June at the Holly Lane Social Club (B24 9LH) and I see it's within easy walking distance of a number of towpath access points on the Fazeley canal. Can anyone recommend a safe and quiet(ish) overnight mooring that's either within walking or taxi distance of the club.

Star City to the south and Curdworth to the north are the recognised mooring sites. I wouldn't say either are walkable to the location. Neither would I moor anywhere in between them that is within walkable distance.

Personally I would think about mooring in the city centre and catching one of the very frequent trains to Erdington to get there and maybe a taxi back.

JP

26 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Star City to the south and Curdworth to the north are the recognised mooring sites. I wouldn't say either are walkable to the location. Neither would I moor anywhere in between them that is within walkable distance.

Personally I would think about mooring in the city centre and catching one of the very frequent trains to Erdington to get there and maybe a taxi back.

JP

These days in Birmingham, if there's more than two of you travelling together, Uber is generally cheaper than public transport.

I would agree with what other have said, not really anywhere I would want to stay overnight that is within easy walking distance.  So look at bus or train from either the City centre or out towards Tamworth depending on what suits best.

7 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Depends who's operating the train, surely?

A company operating a service for profit. Same as Uber. Same as all the other services you buy.

Anyway the UK's rail franchising system is merely a detail in the overall argument. I was thinking bigger.

JP

17 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

A company operating a service for profit. Same as Uber. Same as all the other services you buy.

Anyway the UK's rail franchising system is merely a detail in the overall argument. I was thinking bigger.

JP

Ok.  So walking would be best then.

1 hour ago, IanM said:

I reckon Star City is your closest 'safe' mooring to there.

Others with more local knowledge will probably be along in a bit.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion. Do you mean moorings on the offside rather than the towpath side? Is there usually space there at weekends?

Just now, lydfordcastle said:

Thanks for the helpful suggestion. Do you mean moorings on the offside rather than the towpath side? Is there usually space there at weekends?

Offside on a pontoon I think.

We have moored at star city a few times and had no problems BUT when we were there recently an unoccupied boat on the pontoon had been vandalised within the last week (perhaps by stones from the towpath across the canal?). On chatting to a CRT guy later he said that star city was renowned for having boats attacked 

I reckon it is like any mooring you can be lucky or unlucky 

Haggis 

Considering there are 24 locks between Birmingham city centre and Star City does the nature of the wider journey being made have a bearing on the outcome?

If you are approaching from Fazeley Junction then Star City would be obvious. Not necessarily so if you don't have to venture that way otherwise.

JP

1 hour ago, Dave_P said:

Ok.  So walking would be best then.

No. I think this exchange may be based on my post about the train in preference to taxi appearing to be a dig at Uber. It wasn't intended as such. I was merely advocating the use of public transport and particularly the train.

JP

3 hours ago, Victor Vectis said:

Really, really, really off topic (what's happened to the 'Off Topic' emoticon?)

The train driver and the guard, if there is one, are likely to be members of a trade union doing a proper job.

I fear the same cannot be said of the Uber driver.

No, 'cos as far as I'm aware the taxi drivers union won't let them join, and the bosses are sufficiently Victorian to get rid of anyone who tries to join one!