The Almighty

rivergate

Featured Posts

Not seen her since the 90s, when he was working on Sweden(?) at Shardlow.  He moored it on Crocker's field.

First saw her in the 60s ramming the cill to get out of a lock on the Watford flight.  You could see the ripple travel the length of the boat.

1 hour ago, Derek R. said:

Wasn't it otherwise known as GRUS, then CECIL, then an ALMIGHTY intervention.

Image from a while back on the National Ships Register:

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org.uk/register/1993/almighty

That page claims to be last updated in 2013, and says " ALMIGHTLY is currently waiting for the funds to restore her".

However if it is indeed the boat that Chris Pink had paired with "Kestrel", (as it seems to be), I'm sure it seems longer ago than that that he told me it had been scuttled.

If it is still extant and restorable, (and I have the right boat!), I think it would have needed raising first.

Thanks guys..Chris was moored at Bullborn working on a boat there while I was working on a friends bantock in 90's...it was a lovely boat and I wondered if there was more news than the register...seems like its gone then..shame..

Cheers for replies :) 

It seems my memory of what Chris told me about Amighty was not totally spot on.

This was what he said in 2012......

My wooden motor, Almighty, is now sunk, I gave it away when my son built the new boat - a Northwich replica - but unfortunately the new owner couldn't keep it afloat. It's in 10 foot of water on the Tidal Bristol Avon so it's not going anywhere. Do you want it ;-)

9 hours ago, rivergate said:

Thanks for the info Alan :) ...I don't think I will be diving for it anytime soon - shame about her national tho...

I wonder if that was removed from the boat prior to it sinking, as Chris Pink was advertising for sale a dismantled National around about then.

(I can't imagine him giving away a boat containing a valuable engine like a National.)

1 hour ago, rivergate said:

..oh...interesting..do we know what happened to the bits..?

Nope. I expressed an interest and he said it would be a trivial task to assemble them up into a working engine, so I said ok, assemble it up and I'll buy it.  At which point the stream of excuses began, and he eventually got abusive and said he'd list it on ebay, which I never saw happen. I suspect he still has it but something crucial is busted or missing. He wanted £5k for the box of bits IIRC.

9 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Just had my head pushed this way anyone know if chris still has the box of bits? Or if a bruntons gearbox happens to be in that box?

I think many of us are convinced Chris is still regularly posting on here, albeit using one of his many aliases.

I'm fairly confident he will have seen this thread!