Switching between 12v and 240v on a fridge/freezer

Markymark

Featured Posts

Just to throw another option into the mix.

You could get an A+++ rated 240v chest freezer (bear with me...) and fit a thermostat to maintain a temp inside of around 4-5 degrees. Then run that through an efficient inverter.

The advantage is that a chest freezer is far better insulated than a fridge and will stay cool far better than a normal larder fridge.

More info here: http://www.bimblesolar.com/cheap-solar-fridge

I've not tried this but the logic makes sense to me.

I'm liking that!!

Why? Gas fridges are designed to operate without a flue.

The flue kit you mention is just a placebo for people who know nothing about gas and insist on having one.

Sorry! My mistake. I didn't know that and had read somewhere, perhaps here, that they did need a flue.

I recently had some dealings with a motor home with a fridge like the one pictured above and it had a vent behind it and I'm sure the manual discussed the flue.

I know it's only a small flow of gas, but how do they get by without some kind of exhaust?

Does it have to be a particular type of fridge or are all gas fridges able to run without some kind of flue?

Just to throw another option into the mix.

You could get an A+++ rated 240v chest freezer (bear with me...) and fit a thermostat to maintain a temp inside of around 4-5 degrees. Then run that through an efficient inverter.

The advantage is that a chest freezer is far better insulated than a fridge and will stay cool far better than a normal larder fridge.

More info here: http://www.bimblesolar.com/cheap-solar-fridge

I've not tried this but the logic makes sense to me.

Only problem is they are more efficient due to the extra insulation so you get less space inside for the equivalent case size

No he did not. I meant a DOMESTIC gas fridge as supplied by North Thames Gas in 1966. Absolutely silent in operation. If you can find an 1940s/50s built house with its original kitchen you will often find the small gas pipe that was put in for the gas fridge.

I know the type,My Grandparents had one in their Bungalow

CT

• 3 years later...