advice re 1st time dealing with currents

wobbly ollie

Featured Posts

Newbies with the task of moving our boat to Newbury from Aldermaston via Woolhampton once the lock opens again in late December. We understand Woolhampton Bridge and lock can be a bit of a challenge where the canal combines with the river. With winter rain etc we have concerns particarly as we have no experience of rivers and currents. Would it be adviseable to hire an experienced hand for the trip or is it just a case of taking extra care?

I would suggest that on pretty much any river in the Winter (floods, strong currents etc) that you :

1) Have self inflating lifejackets for each person aboard.

2) Have a suitable anchor (not a 'tiddly' little danforth or grapnel)

3) Have sufficient anchor chain to allow 6x water depth

4) Have the anchor chain SECURELY fastened to the bow of the boat (NOT via the T-Stud which can snap-off)

If the boat is 'new to you' it could be well worth doing a full service (including fuel filters, belts,& air filters, in addition to 'oil') AND (not knowing what 'crap' is in the fuel tank, have the fuel tank cleaned out.

• Greenie 1

Newbies with the task of moving our boat to Newbury from Aldermaston via Woolhampton once the lock opens again in late December. We understand Woolhampton Bridge and lock can be a bit of a challenge where the canal combines with the river. With winter rain etc we have concerns particarly as we have no experience of rivers and currents. Would it be adviseable to hire an experienced hand for the trip or is it just a case of taking extra care?

In this particular case just choose a day when it hasn't rained for a while. The current increases considerably as levels rise but quickly drop when the Mill owner opens the sluices on the bypass weir by Frouds Bridge marina, just downstream of Woolhampton.

If not in a hurry tie up downstream of swing bridge and enjoy a few pints and maybe a meal in the adjacent Rowbarge pub. Thus will give you time to suss out your tactics.

Suggest before moving you prepare the adjacent lock. Have someone then open the electrically operated swing bridge and power through. As you approach lock mouth turn bow into the stream coming from your left. Once bow has entered lock mouth, probably at a fair angle, you can push tiller the other way to line up boat for lock entry. If all goes wrong the permanently moored boat to right of lock mouth is well fendered wink.png

If singe handing, choose a quiet time to least inconvenience motorists while swing bridge remains open.

I would suggest that on pretty much any river in the Winter (floods, strong currents etc) that you :

1) Have self inflating lifejackets for each person aboard. and wear them whenever you are out of the cabin, on deck and most important when operating Locks.

2) Have a suitable anchor (not a 'tiddly' little danforth or grapnel)

3) Have sufficient anchor chain to allow 6x water depth

4) Have the anchor chain SECURELY fastened to the bow of the boat (NOT via the T-Stud which can snap-off)

If the boat is 'new to you' it could be well worth doing a full service (including fuel filters, belts,& air filters, in addition to 'oil') AND (not knowing what 'crap' is in the fuel tank, have the fuel tank cleaned out.

Do not be in a be in a hurry. If it is frosty and the deck is frosted wait and if there is a lock let the frost and ice thaw on the walkways etc. Your feet can be out from under you in the blink of an eye.

Work out the time you think the trip will take and double it. It is OK to arrive early rather than not arrive because you tried to rush.

Also make sure you have plenty of spare dry warm clothing aboard.

Edited by Geo

you are going downstream so fix the anchor at the stern. Open the bridge before exiting the lock. By steering the stern towards the bank the bow will be pushed in by the current tie the stern first. Woops you are going upstream so set the lock and open the tailgate before opening the bridge.

Edited by The Bagdad Boatman (waits)

only points I would add

* when coming into moorings etc you should focus on getting the upstream line ashore first. so the bow line as you are going upstream.stern line if you are going downstream

* give way to boats going downstream, as they have limited control.

* it is easier if slower going upstream. you may want to practice stemming the current with low engine revs & boat not moving over the ground. you may be surprised how much control you have.

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

May be a good idea to run the anchor line down the length of the boat with the anchor on the aft end so the steerer can deploy the anchor quickly in emergency.

Good idea

Run the anchor down the outside of the boat, not as I saw once through the boat. :)

Okay folks ....all very helpful but has just highlighted how limited our experience is. Have no idea about using an anchor. Only discovered it in the forward locker earlier this week! We are booking onto a Helmsman course in January using our own boat but i think for this trip i meant call on an experienced skipper....?

Okay folks ....all very helpful but has just highlighted how limited our experience is. Have no idea about using an anchor. Only discovered it in the forward locker earlier this week! We are booking onto a Helmsman course in January using our own boat but i think for this trip i meant call on an experienced skipper....?

Is there enough room on the boat for both you and crew plus a skipper?

If so it might be a good idea to see if the skipper will be happy to teach you as you go.

There's a lot of good advice above, nothing I would really disagree with, except perhaps to say that IF there hasn't been much rain, going upstream from Aldermaston to Newbury in mid winter shouldn't be particularly difficult. In your shoes I would do the following:

Follow Alan de Enfield's advice anyway, especially if you plan to go out on the Thames one day in the future. Otherwise you are confined to the K&A.

In general, make sure your boat works and is properly equipped for navigation anyway; if possible talk a friendly nearby boater who knows their stuff into looking it over.

Depending on your timetable, once Woolhampton is re-opened, if possible wait for a day with nice weather (not icy, not raining, and above all after a dry enough period that the flow on the Kennet is not too bad). I've done Aldermaston to Newbury twice, both times when the river was low, and it wasn't scary, but I can imagine it's more difficult after rain.

Bearing in mind that it can be done comfortably in one day even in winter if you start early, try to find someone off the forum who will crew for you for a day. If they live nearby they won't need to sleep on the boat. I would volunteer but I've got my Christmas boat trip pencilled in already.

Remember you'll need a BW key for the bridges, and there's one near the start of your trip in Aldermaston. It really helps to have crew with you there, and to have the lock gate open before opening the bridge; if there's another boat coming down the lock, discuss the sequence with them.

If you plan to go on above Newbury, bear in mind that lock 82 will be closed from 4th January until 1st February.

The vast majority of boats doing the Kennet do not have an anchor set ready to deploy, I am not saying this is a good thing, just making an observation.

Woolhampton is the only really hard bit. Ideally get an experienced boater to have a look at the flow and tell you whether it is wise to go through. Get the lock ready and open even though the lock approach is quite long. The technique is NOT to aim directly for the lock but to try to follow the flow the river as best as you can (overhanging trees don't help) so you will stay towards the right as you go up. Don't go too fast, just enough revs to keep moving. Once at the lock mouth, which you will be approaching at an angle, stick on lots of revs and turn sharply in.

Its probably very full above the lock (Winter moorings) but you might be able to getin just off the swing bridge landing a few hundred yards beyond the lock from where you can walk back for a couple of pints. Good beer and food at the Rowbarge if a little costly.

Newbury is a case of steady nerves and using just enough revs to keep moving (which might be quite a lot). The push from the Kennet is not quite as bad as looks. It helps if you have the lock ready and open, but if not we usually go right up to the lock then do a little reverse back onto the lock landing. Nice pint of Fullers ESB at the Lock Stock and Barrel but very very expensive.

Oh and take care coming out of Ham lock if there is any flow, you need to turn left but the current might try to turn you right.

...............Dave