Water Pump Issues.

Greylady2

Featured Posts

I asked this question once before but my water pump keep coming on for 1 second every 30 minutes or so but it only happens at night.

Could this be something to do with the Accumilator pressure ?

I remember the cruisingthecut youtube guy having a similar issue ?

Cheers

If the pumps comes on at intervals it is likely to be loss of pressure. this will be a leak, which in a bad case there will be water coming from it, if you have an accumulator it could be an air leak that passes unnoticed until there is no air left, and then water will leak. Are there any signs of water. where there shouldn't be any? or is it something minor like a dripping tap.

Or as already stated loss of pressure due to hot water cooling and contracting in the tank.

There is a possibility that your pump has a slightly leaking inlet valve,(a little bit of muck or dirt lodged in it) so that water slowly leaks back into the supply pipe - thus no tell-tale signs of external leaks or taps running.

How long does the pump run? - if a while then it sounds like an accumulator top-up, but the cause is the same

When you run a tap does the pump cut in and out? If flow is low enough the pump should run for a few seconds, stop for a while and then repeat. If it runs non-stop the accumulator might have lost its air. If the pump stops as soon as you close the top, you've lost the air in the accumulator.

Edited by mross

I asked this question once before but my water pump keep coming on for 1 second every 30 minutes or so but it only happens at night.

Could this be something to do with the Accumilator pressure ?

I remember the cruisingthecut youtube guy having a similar issue ?

Cheers

If everything was OK for a longish period of time previously, then it looks like either a tiny leak or the air pressure in, assuming you have one fitted, the accumulator needs pushing back up. If the accumulator pressure is low I would expect the pump to cycle faster than it did in the past. i.e. to come on almost at once when you turn the tap on for a short time then go off with the tap running slowly and then come on again.

ETA Is there a filter on the input to the pump? If so it might be an idea to clean it and the pump valves. Just a swill around in a bucket of clean water.

Edited by Geo

I had the same problem. It turned out to be the pump had a tiny leak from the seal in the middle.

I couldn't be bothered with messing around with a seal replacement kit.

Replaced the sureflow pump for a Jabsco, problem sorted.

Do you find the Jabsco to be better? I think our Shureflo is on its last legs, and wondered what make to get.

I changed my Shurflo for a Jabsco when it started to leak. The Jabsco has quick connect couplings which you can connect to the pipes first. This makes fitting the pump easy if access is tight. You can repair most pumps but it's almost as expensive as a new one. Midland Swindlers have a 15% discount, one day only, on the 25th November.

Do you find the Jabsco to be better? I think our Shureflo is on its last legs, and wondered what make to get.

Don't find any difference. Just thought, if this one is prone to leaks, try a different unit.

Was told Jabsco are more reliable. The Jabsco was also a couple of quid cheaper at the time.

It comes with options for the inlet/outlet couplings for different types of plumbing.

Easy swap over from the Surflo

At a guess you accumulator pressure needs checking as overnight your hot water cylinder cools down and the water in it contracts lowering the pressuer, a quick shot of the pump pushes it up again.

Hmm that sounds possible and thinking about it its happening when i dont run the Eber at night.

Thanks dc.

Could be a very small leak.

I thought this and checked under the sink unit where the cold water pump is but no sign at all, i will unmake the double bed and check the calorifier for leaks tomomorow, i looked 4 month ago and all was well. (With leaks)

If the pumps comes on at intervals it is likely to be loss of pressure. this will be a leak, which in a bad case there will be water coming from it, if you have an accumulator it could be an air leak that passes unnoticed until there is no air left, and then water will leak. Are there any signs of water. where there shouldn't be any? or is it something minor like a dripping tap.

Or as already stated loss of pressure due to hot water cooling and contracting in the tank.

There is a possibility that your pump has a slightly leaking inlet valve,(a little bit of muck or dirt lodged in it) so that water slowly leaks back into the supply pipe - thus no tell-tale signs of external leaks or taps running.

How long does the pump run? - if a while then it sounds like an accumulator top-up, but the cause is the same

You know what i did repaint the integral water tank in the summer it was really clean so hopefully no paint has fallen off :-( it was rubbed down proper).

I dont have a inline water purifier so it cant be that, i do have a gauze filter on the water pump which i will check.

The water pump runs really well in the day with plenty of power but it does pulsate when the engine is running ?

I think i need to check the wood under the calorifier for any guilty damp.

I hope its what ditchcrawler first pointed out. :-)

Edited by Greylady2

You know what i did repaint the integral water tank in the summer it was really clean so hopefully no paint has fallen off :-( it was rubbed down proper).

I dont have a inline water purifier so it cant be that, i do have a gauze filter on the water pump which i will check.

The water pump runs really well in the day with plenty of power but it does pulsate when the engine is running ?

I think i need to check the wood under the calorifier for any guilty damp.

I hope its what ditchcrawler first pointed out. :-)

Check what Geo said before ripping the boat to bits

My pump intermittent running has always been due to leaking pumps (2x surflo), as other people have suggested

Though you say your's is only at night, is it perhaps that you're busy through the day so don't notice it?

No am never busy lol, it just behaves in the day, when i first run the hot water in the morning its got some kick behind it for a few seconds then it goes back to normal. (Like over pressure)

If it only runs for a second, I doubt if you have an accumulator. Most pump instructions now say an accumulator is not necessary, but fitting one is advantageous. You only need the slightest weep on a tap washer to give you the problem you have.

Yer i have a big red accumilator with a valve on it. I will show everyone a picture tommorow.

Lol

Cheers everyone if i have missed anyone off my replys you know i appreciate your help. :-)

Back tommorow.

Many thanks.

If everything was OK for a longish period of time previously, then it looks like either a tiny leak or the air pressure in, assuming you have one fitted, the accumulator needs pushing back up. If the accumulator pressure is low I would expect the pump to cycle faster than it did in the past. i.e. to come on almost at once when you turn the tap on for a short time then go off with the tap running slowly and then come on again.

ETA Is there a filter on the input to the pump? If so it might be an idea to clean it and the pump valves. Just a swill around in a bucket of clean water.

Just a gauze filter like a needed thumb gaurd.

The tap pulsates when on very slow i hope that might help me some how?

Thanks.

The tap pulsates when on very slow i hope that might help explain symptoms some wat?

Thanks.

Edited by Greylady2

Don't find any difference. Just thought, if this one is prone to leaks, try a different unit.

Was told Jabsco are more reliable. The Jabsco was also a couple of quid cheaper at the time.

It comes with options for the inlet/outlet couplings for different types of plumbing.

Easy swap over from the Surflo

Cheers.

Yer its a jabsco wi no leaks but i dont know if its Kaputski inside, it works in the day spiffin but at night it plays up (a bit like me dog)

Add pic.

Ow bugger i could of gone in from the top looking at that picture.

post-26650-0-97438300-1479846678_thumb.jpg

Edited by Greylady2

No am never busy lol, it just behaves in the day, when i first run the hot water in the morning its got some kick behind it for a few seconds then it goes back to normal. (Like over pressure)

Yer i have a big red accumilator with a valve on it. I will show everyone a picture tommorow.

Lol

Cheers everyone if i have missed anyone off my replys you know i appreciate your help. :-)

Back tommorow.

Many thanks.

The tap pulsates when on very slow i hope that might help me some how?

Thanks.

The tap pulsates when on very slow i hope that might help explain symptoms some wat?

Thanks.

But the pump keeps running.

That is saying to my brain the pump is on the edge of switching off because with the tap almost turned off the pressure in the pipes is almost at its turn off pressure. Now there should not as far as I know be pulsating taps, the accumulator should allow the pump to get to full pressure and turn off. If the air pressure in the accumulator is too low the pump keeps pumping and almost turns off hence the pulsation. That is what it is saying to me. I would check the air pressure in the accumulator, I think you will find it a long way down.

But the pump keeps running.

That is saying to my brain the pump is on the edge of switching off because with the tap almost turned off the pressure in the pipes is almost at its turn off pressure. Now there should not as far as I know be pulsating taps, the accumulator should allow the pump to get to full pressure and turn off. If the air pressure in the accumulator is too low the pump keeps pumping and almost turns off hence the pulsation. That is what it is saying to me. I would check the air pressure in the accumulator, I think you will find it a long way down.

When the engine is running 1200 rmp tje taps pulsate.

Its not done the none tap use pump burping all day but it does it at night ?

Ditchrawler could be bob on if my Calorifier mount'ss/joint's are dry.

I have no clue i really don't, maybe an under floor level finned heater is leaking.

All inspection panels seem dry. Lol

Edited and altetered wondering mind.....

Edited by Greylady2

The pulsating tap indicates that your accumulator (assuming it is positioned near the pump) is not doing its job at all. A working accumulator will act to smooth out pressure variations from the pump.

Test your accumulator is working - from an earlier post on another thread :-

Simple accumulator functional test. Turn off all taps. Turn on pump, wait until pump stops, turn off pump. Turn on a tap and collect the water in a measuring jug and measure how much water you get. If you get about half the volume of the accumulator then everything is set up fine. If you get nothing then either the accumulator is isolated from the system, empty, or there is too much pressure in it. Release some pressure and repeat the test see if that improves things. Adjust the pressure in the accumulator until you get about 1 litre from a 2 litre accumulator.

if nothing comes out then there is no pressure and probably the the air valve has leaked, just pump it up to about 10-15 psi. and test again.

Well if all dry then the more it looks like a get the pump out and pump up the accumulator.

I suspect that as an aside the cable to the pump is not heavy enough and the volt drop is the cause of the difference between engine running and not running. But solve the accumulator first :)