Cruising at night

leeco

Featured Posts

I guess, if your on the pontoon the effect isn't as pronounced, we are on a swinging Mooring.

Either that, or you had a good night on the Albatross

More likely the Globe cheers.gif

They can still roll you around on the pontoon. Think we have just got used to it we have been so many times now!

Won't be going next year at all for the first time in 8 years. sad.png

More likely the Globe cheers.gif

They can still roll you around on the pontoon. Think we have just got used to it we have been so many times now!

Won't be going next year at all for the first time in 8 years. sad.png

Think we've been there about 10 years! How time flies

• 3 weeks later...

A few days of Northerlies makes it a really bumpy place to be. We tend to stay in the harbour if its been blowing for a few days. Still , not a bad place to be stuck. Bob and staff are always helpful and friendly, and you can always kill a few hours on the Albatross.

Nov 8th, lucky not to be damaged on the sea wall.

https://twitter.com/hmwellsnextsea

Edited by rusty69

Cruising at night need be no less safe then cruising during daylight hours.

We often don't get a choice if we have a tidal window to meet.

But there is a big difference between making a night passage on open / coastal windows to make a tidal window as against cruising along the cut at night.

About 50% of my 'boating' experience is night hours, but like Davem ( and a few others on this forum) that is because I am paid to be there and great difficulty putting the "pins in" mid Atlantic on a tanker.......

When on the cut I am personally not interested on cruising at night but have no issue with other people in doing it. For those consider doing it would suggest wearing of a head torch, life jacket and ideally be crewed up rather than single handed.

I just put my head lamp on my mastbox lamp on and have a battery light on the engine room roof that when at a lock i turn on and a hand held lamp worked well on saterday the other week. Although its intresting seeing how many people at night have fake im on board lights see this as a pointless exercise when you have a big padlock on the outside front and back. But hay.

I find travelling at night far better but trying to get use to it for the jan run.

They appear to have been lucky and not sustained any damage.

I'm surprised they left it on their swinging mooring so late in the year though!

Yes, Very lucky.

Most boats at Wells are either ashore, or have been moved to the shelter of the creeks by November, although a couple are left in the main harbour.

Although its intresting seeing how many people at night have fake im on board lights see this as a pointless exercise when you have a big padlock on the outside front and back. But hay.

I often see boats just like that with people onboard. I would never be inside a long metal tube with one end locked on the outside.

I often see boats just like that with people onboard. I would never be inside a long metal tube with one end locked on the outside.

No i agree. It was more them being locked at both ends but lights on. Especially when you go past cut side and all curtains are open. But each to there own.

I spend a lot of time aboard with a big locked padlock on the rear doors/hatch on the 68ft boat.

Should a fire occur, I'm reasonably certain I'll be wanting to get out through the front door, the side hatch or one of the engine room side doors.

I just put my head lamp on my mastbox lamp on and have a battery light on the engine room roof that when at a lock i turn on and a hand held lamp worked well on saterday the other week. Although its intresting seeing how many people at night have fake im on board lights see this as a pointless exercise when you have a big padlock on the outside front and back. But hay.

I find travelling at night far better but trying to get use to it for the jan run.

I have often considered one of these things

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/tv-simulator-1?deal_option=deb790fe-50f0-4077-8767-85a3ba97bce3&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=uk_dt_sea_ggl_txt_tim_pads_cbp_chp_nbr_target*_adposition*1o2_prodtarget*291372809164_adtype*pla_productpartitionid*291372809164_campaignid*681402625_adgroupid*34554142443&mr:referralID=c4cfb6db-b6eb-11e6-bac4-005056941669&gclid=CILf-JCp0NACFcIV0wode4YKYw

post-261-0-31344400-1480503629_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-18808600-1480503693_thumb.jpg

As long as not too bright as the bightness just blinds rather than light up objects but i only run paraffin so mine itsnt exactly very bright

I is a piece of kit that flickers like a TV being switch on inside the boat in the evening while your down the pub with the padlock on the back door. Not to mount on the roof to light 3 miles of canal

I is a piece of kit that flickers like a TV being switch on inside the boat in the evening while your down the pub with the padlock on the back door. Not to mount on the roof to light 3 miles of canal

Interesting looking device.

The link doesn't however say how it is powered. Anyone got one? Is it 240v, 12v, or batteries?