How do you know when the kettle is boiling?

Chertsey

Featured Posts

Studying the failure of things and the reasons for them is a very practical strategy for improvement . Why and how can be gateway words to a lot of knowledge . Failure and disaster have a lot to teach us .

Oh the kettle is boiling when it whistles in Big Northwich land and anywhere else where the kettle is capable of whistling

Studying the failure of things and the reasons for them is a very practical strategy for improvement . Why and how can be gateway words to a lot of knowledge . Failure and disaster have a lot to teach us .

Oh the kettle is boiling when it whistles in Big Northwich land and anywhere else where the kettle is capable of whistling

Don't you know the kettle is boiling on a big Northwich because your leg gets hot and wet?

Richard

The ist para is spot on, which is why poor old BSP spends hours watching me pokeing around fallen trees, fasinating stuff, well to me anyway.

Oh and tea is very important, pah to this modern coffee stuff

Yes, totally agree. This is why speculating on the cause of an accident when reported on here is so useful. Figure out how things went wrong and learn how to prevent the same thing happening to you/us/anyone interested. The chorus of objection to such speculation we sometimes get here seems deeply short-sighted to me.

Arrr! So you can imagine the dreadful devastating explosion occuring if the boiler of a large express steam loco with a working boiler pressure of say, 250 lb per sq inch bursts. Its happened, ''Locomotive boiler explosions'' by C.H. Hewison is a good read.

Reminds me of the Mississippi sternwheelers in their golden age.

When a serious race was on the engine man (I hesitate to call him the engineer because, like the Alton Towers man, no responsible engineer would do any such thing) used to instruct one of the 'boys' (negro stoker) to sit on the safety valve lever. As a result there were some spectacular explosions. The 'sacrificial boy' was not the only casualty of course.

I agree on both counts. except I don't like Scotch - my favourite tipple is Bushmills 10 yr old (or preferably 16 yr old but it's now so hard to come by it's priced in £hundreds).

Ice can work in cheap whisky but in a good malt, well its just wrong.

Never got into Irish but a good measure of Ardbeg and a dash of water, heaven

Reminds me of the Mississippi sternwheelers in their golden age.

When a serious race was on the engine man (I hesitate to call him the engineer because, like the Alton Towers man, no responsible engineer would do any such thing) used to instruct one of the 'boys' (negro stoker) to sit on the safety valve lever. As a result there were some spectacular explosions. The 'sacrificial boy' was not the only casualty of course.

Including Mark Twain's brother Henry who died of injuries received in the explosion of the Pennsylvania:

http://www.twainquotes.com/Steamboats/HenryClemens.html