Windows - this is gonna hurt the bank balance

heraboard

Featured Posts

ooking into new windows,(double glazed with thermal break) any recommendations for companies to supply, or supply and fit. got 12 of them :( -

I am already in contact with narrowboat windows - formaly worcester who made current ones, Channal Glaze and Wesley windows - and would welcome feed back on these too

I am not so sure about the longevity of such windows because I have has some reports of the seal between panes failing leading to condensation. There is a suggestion that they do not stand up to boat vibrations and bumps as well as they could. I doubt there have been enough around for long enough to get a true picture.

Several on here have stated that stick on film type double glazing products make a huge difference to the comfort inside the boat. I would not advocate that but if I were to spend long periods on my boat in the winter I would use perspex to double glaze the windows but at a time. i would start with the one over the bed and then see how it works before adding more.

Such windows will be subject to a degree of condensation on the original window but you have a drain system on the frame to cope with that. I doubt the plastic inner pane would get cold enough to allow condensation to form. In any case such condensation could be more easily dealt with that between sealed double glazed panes.

Just my thoughts.

PS, I have just noticed that my neighbours caravan has what looks like clear plastic blow moulded inner double glazing rather than sealed units.

thanks for the input, we have issues with some of the current windows leaking, glass not actually fitting windows so cannot close properly etc so rather than spend time and money on repair, feel best to update given they are 13 years old now and were probally the budget ones installed in the first place. Do not want the plastic stuff you need to use a hair dryer on - pain in the butt that stuff, and not sure how well the secondry double glazing would work if just get replacement windows from narrow boat windows who originally made the ones we have . - but looking into that - also may be cheaper option too - but want to to get the best product I can afford at mo.

Any particular reason why you are considering double glazing? Even if a boat has large windows, their area in relation to the surface area of the cabin sides and roof will be pretty low (<10%) so the amount of heat lost through them will not be all that great in comparison with what goes through the steelwork (top, bottom and sides). If it's primarily a comfort issue, do bear in mind that a boat cabin needs ventilation, and through a window isn't a bad way of getting some.

It is important that the window frames fit into the shell properly, though, to prevent water leaks (don't ask how I know this).

It is important that the window frames fit into the shell properly, though, to prevent water leaks (don't ask how I know this).

Absolutely. Our own boat has apertures that are too large for the windows so the securing screws missed the wooden lining on one side or the other. Luckily by adding an aluminium trim to the side of the lining it forced the screws to bite into the wood so I now have secure windows. However it all depends upon the design of the boat and windows.

PS, I have just noticed that my neighbours caravan has what looks like clear plastic blow moulded inner double glazing rather than sealed units.

Our last caravan had those and highly effective they were too. They have two little rubber bungs in small (1/8"?) holes in the inner pane which you can remove on a hot dry day to allow any condensation to evaporate.

We used magnetic tape. From ape tape I think but can be googled then had perspex cut to the same size and shape as the metal surround inside the boat. Put A side to perspex and B side to surround then perspex clicks on and off when required. We don't suffer with condensation like before. It cost about £400 in total for 11 windows I can upload pictures if you are interested

We are having new windows fitted in a couple of weeks, having looked around we settled on ChannelGlaze.

I have no idea how the windows will fit, but the company have been good to deal with, delivered the windows on time and are working with the boatyard to fit in around the re-paint when they fit them.

So far, so good.

We pick the boat up in about 4 weeks time, if you can wait until then I will update with a review of the final result.

As to why...

The old windows were leaking, we don't like condensation, we want to cut down on noise transmission and heat transmission and we want a modern design of window that doesn't rely on silly bits of stick on rubber strips to provide sealing against the weather.

We have double glazed windows on the narrowboat, except for the portholes in the engine room. The temperature difference between the two spaces is astounding when it is freezing outside.

We also tend not to light the stove as early as other boats around us when it starts getting chilly. It's not the general insulation - it is an old boat so only has slab polystyrene.

I would not have fitted them if they were not on the boat when we bought it, but it is something I would consider seriously for any future boat.

We had channel glaze fitted last year.

Double glazing makes a huge difference.

Just beware of the little plastic holders for the portholes to drop into, they break easily.

Channel glaze are trying to find an alternative

Pleased with windows though

thanks for that, sadly no portholes and the cost of metal work/paint job to alter some of the current full hoppers to such is a barrier - unless of course I win the lottery