Separett Composting Toilet Installation

tommyleyland

Featured Posts

Hi all, I'm looking at buying a separett composting toilet but it doesn't have a liquid/urine tank. Can anyone give me an idea of what they did or preferably pictures of their installation?

Personally I think it's a better toilet than the Airhead due to having a better liquid division wall, removable compost bucket and cleaner venting system but I might have to go with an Airhead due to the size difference, and they're both great so if anyone has any installation pictures that would be great too and any "fors/againsts" would be perfect.

Thanks in advance!

I bought the Kildwick Klassic seperator and the wood effect toilet seat http://www.littlehouse.co/shop/kildwick-klassic-urine-separator/. I use an old cut down 25l water container lined with a heavy duty bin liner for solids and a 10l plastic container that I found in a recycling bin for liquids. Six months on and there has never been any smell or problems. I might in the future add a computer fan ducted to the old pumpout tank vent but its not a priority job.

ir6OWjul.jpg?1

DS6xtiUl.jpg

I have three of the things to install and the major issue from my point of view is that the suppliers and manufacturers have not even given a nod to marine installations and just supply the kits as designed for off grid cabins, if these things are going to take off properly in the marine market then they need to get their act together and make life easy for installers, especially DIY installs. Though the basic unit install is simple enough the vent tube fitting is woefully inadequate and should be replaced (or at least an option offered) for a more appropriate roof vent or skin fitting if vented through the topsides. Another issue is the urine drain, this is designed to run straight out or into a tank, some installs I have seen are being sent straight over the side which is illegal on inland waters, believe me I have exhaustively researched that point and it is not right anyway regardless of regs. A tank that has to be manually emptied is therefore an essential fitment and whilst it does not need to be very large it does need to be big enough to hold a quantity until it can be emptied legally, also it obviously needs to be easily removable. As I said I have done extensive research and planning as I see these as the future if the inherent issues can be resolved, but that is a matter for the manufacturers to address as I wrote earlier. There is a Youtube video of how to install the Villa model but that is centred around install to off grid buildings and pretty meaningless for marine applications. I am beginning the install of the first one (with topsides vent) next week and may well take some photo’s of an IWA compliant install with some narrative, bill of extra materials required and send to the UK agent or direct to Seperatt in Sweden.

• Greenie 1

My parts from Kildwick (separator, seat, buckets, tank and some plumbing) are on order, so I can't speak for what they're like in practice I can tell you that the manufacturer is extremely helpful and active in running in a Facebook group on the subject: https://www.facebook.com/groups/compostingloos/

I'd back OldPeculier up in suggesting you look at this range as an alternative to the Separett or Airhead, the prices are reasonable and the support is excellent.

Couldn't agree more NMEA,

This is the reason I've decided to go for the airhead. It's made for boaters in mind and installation looks simple enough to fit myself.

The size is also a benefit, we have a tiny wetroom and the Separett is rather large.

I think we will be ordering this some time this week so I'll keep you all updated as I go!

I bought the Kildwick Klassic seperator and the wood effect toilet seat http://www.littlehouse.co/shop/kildwick-klassic-urine-separator/. I use an old cut down 25l water container lined with a heavy duty bin liner for solids and a 10l plastic container that I found in a recycling bin for liquids. Six months on and there has never been any smell or problems. I might in the future add a computer fan ducted to the old pumpout tank vent but its not a priority job.

ir6OWjul.jpg?1

DS6xtiUl.jpg

Good job, OldPeculier and based on the KISS system which I like very much. The makers of these separators are living on a boat themselfs and they are nice and hardworking people, always ready with good advice too.

Peter.

Hi. We have a Natured Head. Very similar to the Airhead. Both US made. Personally, I prefer the NH and a bit cheaper. Very well built and designed. It doesn't matter about a separate bucket as they are easy to empty. Just remove urine rank (15 seconds), undo thumb screws to floor, take outside, put 50l bin bag over (see me for exact one) and tip upside down to empty compost. It takes us 10 mins a month and doesn't smell. Double bag and place in either dog bin or standard bins. It looks just like musty peat even though it hasn't composted down by then. You can just store the bags for 6 months if you like. Would we go back to cassettes or pump outs? Not likely! PS use coco coir available on eBay in dried blocks

Nope not just you

I thought I had gone potty.

Even the most ardent supporters of the composting toilet claim a six months minimum composting time is required, I would contend that 12 months would be more realistic even given ideal composting conditions.

Then there is the knotty problem of disposal. As I understand it disposal of fully composted human faeces (raking into a vegetable patch/lawn) is permissible subject to your ownership of the land and proximity to watercourses etc. but dumping anywhere else is subject to all manner of LA and EA permissions without which would probably be viewed as fly-tipping hazardous waste. A quick Google reveals such behaviour punishable by an unlimited fine or five years porridge.

• Greenie 1

The recommended time to store to compost is 26 weeks stored in the engine bay. It looks like peat at this stage. It can then be double bagged or buried in a field. It's that easy.

It is not 'that easy', if I catch you burying bags full of potentially hazardous waste in my field I shall fetch you a clip round the ear and call the police young man:)

• Greenie 1

The recommended time to store to compost is 26 weeks stored in the engine bay. It looks like peat at this stage. It can then be double bagged or buried in a field. It's that easy.

Double bagging would I presume mean that the waste ends up in a bin and then in a landfill, I would suggest this is a waste of landfill.

I also do not believe the waste has been composted in any real way, its just been mixed with some substrate and sat in a box, if any real composting took place any sealed box would have err vented in a serious way.

A theoretical question .

These toilets will have " buckets " holding for example 20 litres . The Seperette Villa is 23 i think . If this is filled or mostly filled , removed and set aside for 26 weeks then you have a bucket of partially/ mostly broken down matter which if not yet compost is well on the way .

However , if you empty the bucket more regularly when it is say 25 % full and set it side will that smaller quantity break down into genuine compost any quicker ?

A theoretical question .

These toilets will have " buckets " holding for example 20 litres . The Seperette Villa is 23 i think . If this is filled or mostly filled , removed and set aside for 26 weeks then you have a bucket of partially/ mostly broken down matter which if not yet compost is well on the way .

However , if you empty the bucket more regularly when it is say 25 % full and set it side will that smaller quantity break down into genuine compost any quicker ?

The main thing is to get it hot enough to kill any pathogens, around 60-70*c The bigger the volume, the more heat that is generated. This heat also gets it composting quicker. The recycling centres that do composting can turn organic matter around in six weeks. They turn it every week to stop it getting too hot and to introduce more air which the good bacteria need..

Wood earthworms live in it?

The compost toilets at the National Trust's Gibson Mill, near Hebden bridge have tiger worms to help speed the compost breakdown.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hardcastle-crags

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hardcastle-crags/features/gibson-mill-celebrates-10-years-offthegrid

The compost toilets at the National Trust's Gibson Mill, near Hebden bridge have tiger worms to help speed the compost breakdown.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hardcastle-crags

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/hardcastle-crags/features/gibson-mill-celebrates-10-years-offthegrid

Looks like a smashing place with extensive grounds, absolutely ideal for a composting crapper or two.