Drinking and boating

dogless

Featured Posts

Already doing that... ;-)

Having said that, even though it's been going round in ever-decreasing circles, with over 150 posts the subject is obviously one that many people have strong opinions about and leads to "robust discussions" (I think that's what the politicians say). Locking a thread because some people (including me!) think it's got boring doesn't seem justified; if you're bored, stop reading it...

• Greenie 1

As was said earlier, you can't avoid all risks, and people are injured or die from all sorts of causes which you can't avoid if you want to have a life. You certainly shouldn't go into a kitchen or bathroom, climb stairs, cook anything, cross the road, ride a bike, eat peanuts, do DIY of any description -- all these kill and injure far more people than steering a narrowboat under the influence.

It doesn't mean we shouldn't feel sorry for people when they do have rare but unfortunate accidents, but this doesn't mean legislation is needed to prevent them happening again, otherwise almost all human activities would have to be banned.

Getting into this world is perhaps the most hazardous stage - although getting out of it allows no retry.

I reckon an experienced and sensible boater with a few pints inside him is still a lot safer than an inexperienced boater in a big hurry, its all a matter of degree and common sense. Couple of weeks ago we came down the Caldon, stopped in Stoke late afternoon and had a good few pints in the Holy Inadequate, then did a late evening cruise up to the Harecastle tunnel entrance. Very quiet canal at that time of day and no locks. Going through the industrial decay of Stokes potteries in the sunset was one of the nicest cruises this year.

........Dave

Shocking, absolutely shocking.

Shocking you neglected to mention the Badgers' Arse we drank when cruising our way to the Holy Inadequate.

Glenn

I reckon an experienced and sensible boater with a few pints inside him is still a lot safer than an inexperienced boater in a big hurry, its all a matter of degree and common sense. Couple of weeks ago we came down the Caldon, stopped in Stoke late afternoon and had a good few pints in the Holy Inadequate, then did a late evening cruise up to the Harecastle tunnel entrance. Very quiet canal at that time of day and no locks. Going through the industrial decay of Stokes potteries in the sunset was one of the nicest cruises this year.

........Dave

Shocking, absolutely shocking.

Shocking you neglected to mention the Badgers' Arse we drank when cruising our way to the Holy Inadequate.

Glenn

I regularly have beer whilst cruising, never before lunch mind, its part n parcel of narrowboating and has been going on for years!

I even installed a beer fridge fitted where my Epping stove should be in my rear cabin so I can reach cold Stella's easy whilst single handing...

Far more important than keeping warm in there!! boat.gif

I don't think Cold Stella and traditional boating should be on the same page, let alone paragraph, Di. and I usually share a pint of Badgers while we have lunch, one thats not been in the fridge.

I don't think Cold Stella and traditional boating should be on the same page, let alone paragraph, Di. and I usually share a pint of Badgers while we have lunch, one thats not been in the fridge.

Don't you find it difficult getting the badgers into the blender? And if the result hasn't been kept in the fridge won't it go stinky rather quickly?