GLOUCESTER DOCKS - MYSTERY WIDE BOATS

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Came accross this ariel picture of the docks at Gloucester. What seems odd is the dozen or so wide beam boats tied up. They look identical and all have cross beams. Are these London style wide boats and if so what are they discharging or taking on? S&CCC tugs are visible on the opositte quayside.

gallery_5000_522_34026.jpg

​An enlargement:

gallery_5000_522_72346.jpg

Edited by Laurence Hogg

No idea if it is related or not but on the G&S in a couple of locations there are some big boats moored up on the offside that are basically like huge BCN day boats if you like. So could these be the same boats?

Where do you mean? I cant think of any except Bushley moored just north of Saul & the concrete barge by the Purton timber ponds which sank a couple of years ago.

Steve

Where do you mean? I cant think of any except Bushley moored just north of Saul & the concrete barge by the Purton timber ponds which sank a couple of years ago.

Steve

I think those are what I was thinking of. Isn't there 2 north if Saul.

But as I said possibly not relevant.

Edited by john6767

I think the Sabrina barges had hatches and coamings, to work on the Estuary proper. Will check that.

I believe they did.

Also, I don't think that they built enough of them for the numbers that are visible in the photo.

I think the Sabrina barges had hatches and coamings, to work on the Estuary proper. Will check that.

I think the photo predates the "Sabrina" boats being around 1930, also as others have commented they had coamings and covered holds.