Mystery location

Chertsey

Featured Posts

ok so i think it may be here but looking the other way

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-the-ashby-canal-at-shenton-leicestershire-england-uk-19780585.html

it's not the llan...i think i would recognise it instantly if it were

That does look very similar doesn't it. We're moored on the Cov now so the Ashby is the next must-do short trip. I will take the photo with me!

Thank you for tracking that down LoneWolf.

I am!

So, the next question...

Why the hell did my mother have this photo?

I would answer this question by consulting the log (continuous since 1972!) which would probably say something like "6 hours, 12 locks. Saw a heron, dog fell in, went to pub, spag bol for supper", which might give you a clue..

The more I look at it the more I do not think it's the ashby, the towpath at the top of the ashby is not as wide as the one in the photo, plus the background does not look right, its really flat at the top of the ashby...

The more I look at it the more I do not think it's the ashby, the towpath at the top of the ashby is not as wide as the one in the photo, plus the background does not look right, its really flat at the top of the ashby...

It's not the top of the Ashby but about 2/3 up I think. There's an interesting dead tree on the offside & a corner field of sunflowers in roughly that area as well

I've only been twice 7 & 5 years ago so i could be mistaken but my memory stores things on a map ... i may look for more photos now...i'm finding this intriguing

I'm thinking of the Monty below the locks and before it straitens out. Seems to fit, but of course, it could be anywhere without a defining landmark.

you mean just below Frankton Junct? are there other locks? I've never done the Monty.

I'll be up that way in a month or so...