The Practicalities of Life Aboard a Broads Cruiser

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

For the first 12-18 months we will be marina based whilst we get the boat as we want it so not a big problem.

After that we intend to be away from the marina for 3-4 months during the summer, cruising within a range that is within a reasonable distance from our jobs in Sheffield. Luckily we have plenty of waterways to choose from that would give about an hours commute. This is when the hot water will be more of an issue as we will be away from the boat all day Monday to Friday not getting back until around 7pm. It would have to be a case of get home, fire the engine up.

In that case, 1 hour engine run as Alan points out - go for a decent Genny and wear that out, I can't speak highly enough of our EU20.

Diesel heated hot water is by far the best option though.

A well insulated calorifier will keep its heat well enough.

We were drumming up a list of pros and cons for the broads boats this weekend whilst out on NC. So far the list reads:

Cons:

• Mooring. We are used to being able to squeeze NC into little spaces left on visitors moorings. At 45ft long that isnt really going to be an option with the Broads boat.
  • Turning around. We are used to being able to turn NC around wherever we fancy. With the Broads boat this is going to need more thought. It should go around in the Fossdyke but it will be tight in places.
  • Maneuverability. The stern drive handling we are used to will be replaced by shaft drive with a piddly rudder and a huge keel fighting against the boat turning around.

Pros:

• No canvas to faff around with.
  • Loads more space.
  • Slow speed handling. It will actually do slow speed!
  • Domestic sized appliances.

We have decided that either early or late next year we will hire one of the similar boats that Herbert Woods have and see just how well we get on with the boat.

We found one more downside to this plan at the weekend. No more of this sad.png

20160917_095915.jpg

20160917_100103.jpg

20160917_100403.jpg

We don't spend much time going fast, but when we do get the chance we do enjoy it.

Liam is now concocting ways to fit some decent davits so that he can have a quick rib rolleyes.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Do any of you have electric towel rails on board your boats?

The lodge we hired last week had them and it got us thinking if it was viable to fit them in a boat.

Units like this:

https://www.electricradiatorsdirect.co.uk/kudox-dry-element-210w-budget-heated-electric-towel-rail-chrome

are only 210w so not massively powerful.

Obviously these would only be used when we are shore power or for short periods whilst away from shore power. But is it viable?

DQ has a 500 watt element in the towel rail, which is also heated by the Webasto central heating.

Useful when on a shoreline, or to dry towels when cruising (as long as you remember to turn it off as the switch and tell-tale light are in the galley, not the bathroom).

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have decided to do a try before you buy with the Broads boat so have booked a holiday out if season right at the back end of next year in a boat which is the same as our favoured type and layout.

This should hopefully give us some idea of whether the layout will work for us but also whether the boat will be big enough for us. We are also hoping that we will get some typical autumnal weather so that we can test out the heating and other matters.

This is the boat that we have booked:

http://www.richardsonsboatingholidays.co.uk/boats/viscount/

So hopefully this time next year we will be on the hunt for one of our own. wub.png

It won't pass under Potter Heigham bridge. Missing out Horsey and Hickling broads which in my my opinion are two of the best natural bits of the broads.

No it won't but we have done those bits before so not too concerned about that.

Richardsons are a bit pessimistic with their air draft figures, probably for good reason. We know that these boats with the canopies back are about 6'6" where as Richardsons are quoting an air draft of 7'2".

The air draft with the canopy up is in the region of 8' which is more important to us as it means we won't have to drop the hood to get under the bridges local to where we will be keeping the boat.

Edited by Naughty Cal

We found one more downside to this plan at the weekend. No more of this sad.png

20160917_095915.jpg

20160917_100103.jpg

20160917_100403.jpg

We don't spend much time going fast, but when we do get the chance we do enjoy it.

Liam is now concocting ways to fit some decent davits so that he can have a quick rib rolleyes.gif

Picture sent to CRT so action can be taken for speeding!!!!!! lol

The boat we are interested in and her sister vessels are currently fitted with a 3.5kw blown air heater. But they are not hired out in the dead of winter.

Water heating will be via an immersion when plugged in or running the engine. Not ideal I know but the engines heat the water pretty quickly on these things and putting extra hours on the engine is hardly going to hurt it given the hire hours it will already have!

If it's a decent air heater why replace? Just add too it, a 4kw diesel water heater with air heat exchanger so you can use the existing infrastructure and also heat the water. This way you will have a backup, a total if 7.5kw for the cold days, but the ability to only use one for the not so cold days which will reduce it coking up.

If it's a decent air heater why replace? Just add too it, a 4kw diesel water heater with air heat exchanger so you can use the existing infrastructure and also heat the water. This way you will have a backup, a total if 7.5kw for the cold days, but the ability to only use one for the not so cold days which will reduce it coking up.

We are currently looking at ways to squeeze in a Glembring 4kW heater like this:

http://www.kurandamarine.co.uk/glembring-4kw-heater

If we get one of the Alphacraft boats with the rear saloon (which we are currently favouring) it will make routing the flue easier as it will be at the rear of the boat away from the sliding roof.

We are currently looking at ways to squeeze in a Glembring 4kW heater like this:

If we get one of the Alphacraft boats with the rear saloon (which we are currently favouring) it will make routing the flue easier as it will be at the rear of the boat away from the sliding roof.

if you get one that heats water as well, you could still add the heat exchanger for moderate heat to the other side of the boat.

Taylor's and Dickinsons do bulkhead heaters which may be more suitable, the flues will be a lot easier to route as well.

Rachael, I fitted one of these to my previous boat, a GRP Broads cruiser and have to say it was a great bit of kit.

Phil

We are leaning heavily towards a rear saloon version of the Alphacraft so that we can fit one of the Glembring stoves. Quite like the idea of it and the layout of the rear saloon boats would make fitting one much easier.

if you get one that heats water as well, you could still add the heat exchanger for moderate heat to the other side of the boat.

Taylor's and Dickinsons do bulkhead heaters which may be more suitable, the flues will be a lot easier to route as well.

We have looked at these but prefer the look of the Glembring. We could make more of a feature of the Glembring within the footprint of the saloon area.

How much!? ....... mind I do like the idea of gravity fed. I'm too reliant on 240V even on my diesel aga.

The min heating setting of the 4kw version is 1kw, I think the lockgate is 800w. Remeber the min setting is just as important as the max setting. The Dickinson I was looking at was only 1.8 min which is too high in normal use.

How much!? ....... mind I do like the idea of gravity fed. I'm too reliant on 240V even on my diesel aga.

Not cheap granted, but I don't like being cold!

The min heating setting of the 4kw version is 1kw, I think the lockgate is 800w. Remeber the min setting is just as important as the max setting. The Dickinson I was looking at was only 1.8 min which is too high in normal use.

Noted thanks.

Not cheap granted, but I don't like being cold!

Noted thanks.

lol! very true! I dont think any of us do! I didnt bother putting the heating on on the boat Friday night, after it had stood all week, as I went straight to the pub but lived to regret it! Was laid there shivering like a shi***ng dog but too tired to get up and put it on! Whats that all about?! ..... Anyway I'm a little concerned about my pending winter excursion and thinking I need an alternative heating source, maybe blown air, as the aga is relying on too many components, including the inverter, which one of thems bound to fail in the depths of winter!

lol! very true! I dont think any of us do! I didnt bother putting the heating on on the boat Friday night, after it had stood all week, as I went straight to the pub but lived to regret it! Was laid there shivering like a shi***ng dog but too tired to get up and put it on! Whats that all about?! ..... Anyway I'm a little concerned about my pending winter excursion and thinking I need an alternative heating source, maybe blown air, as the aga is relying on too many components, including the inverter, which one of thems bound to fail in the depths of winter!

Blown air heating on a timer.

Wouldn't be without ours on NC. We arrive at the boat and it is toasty warm.

Blown air heating on a timer.

Wouldn't be without ours on NC. We arrive at the boat and it is toasty warm.

Oh its fully central heated with a 7 day timer but since loosing my china mans hat I remove the chimney and fit a cap during the week. I also got tired of changing the timer settings from working weeks to holidays to spot visits. And if I had a really late night/ early morning I didnt want the heating coming on and waking me at half 7! So just found it easier leaving it off. Need to get myself sorted really! biggrin.png For my secondary system Im thinking blown air from a heat exchanger from the engine. The heat exchanger is £300(10.8kw) but the ducting and insulation is twice as much again!

I'm taking note of all comments on heating options at the moment, and I notice on another current thread one member considering changing from a Glembring drip feed heater to eberspacher blown air because of the constant smell of diesel.

We had a Kabola drip feed stove once and it wasn't smelly, is it a particular problem with Glembrings or does it indicate a problem with installation/use?

I'm taking note of all comments on heating options at the moment, and I notice on another current thread one member considering changing from a Glembring drip feed heater to eberspacher blown air because of the constant smell of diesel.

We had a Kabola drip feed stove once and it wasn't smelly, is it a particular problem with Glembrings or does it indicate a problem with installation/use?

I did see that post and my initial thought was that it may well be an installation problem.

The poster of that post also considered swapping to a solid fuel stove though which would surely just swap the smell from diesel to smoke rolleyes.gif

Perhaps a Glembring owner could clarify?