No Change then at Gifford Park????

bigcol

Featured Posts

I'm having trouble understanding the fuss about Gifford park.

A guy digs the grass which I assume is about a boat length. So moor further along to avoid any confrontation and just let the landlord (crt) deal with it.

A guy appears to be checking boat numbers and takes down a plate number and knocks to check name of boat. Politely tell him the name or tell him the plate number will give the name when checked by crt.

Why all this about something trivial when everyone should be enjoying their boating.

OR am I missing something, please tell.

If that was directed at me; what makes you think that isn't exactly what happened?

I wasn't moaning about the occasion, simply making a statement to confirm there was a crt vol checker working in the area a couple of weeks ago.

BTW - we do enjoy our boating happy.png

Just what crt are doing about it is not clear but surely they are the only ones with authority to put an end to this man as you say causing criminal damage, although I would be more bothered if he was interfering with say a bridge rather than digging over come grass edging.

Which is precisely why I have raised the question with CRT, as to whether they are aware he is at it again, and what are they doing about it.

If I get that question answered, I will share the reply in this thread.

If that was directed at me; what makes you think that isn't exactly what happened?

I wasn't moaning about the occasion, simply making a statement to confirm there was a crt vol checker working in the area a couple of weeks ago.

BTW - we do enjoy our boating ^_^

Certainly not directed at you in any untoward way at all Betty. Just used your description of your experience as to what this individual was doing.

Yes I suppose on reflection mostly we all do enjoy our boating life and incidents like these are just discussion points.

I have received this reply from Vicky Martin, South East Waterways manager, which she is happy that I post here.

Digging of towpath – yes the Trust is aware of an historic issue with a Gifford Park resident digging up the towpath outside his house to prevent boats from mooring there. Our solicitor wrote to the residents earlier in the year advising that legal action would be taken if further damage occurred. A local team member has visited Gifford Park this morning but could not see signs of damage, so I can only assume that the report you heard relates to the historic issue, which was dealt with earlier in the year.

So from CRT's perspective, although this has occurred in the past, they can not find evidence of recent digging. Vicky has also emphasised to me that if anybody is CRT certainly wish to be told, so can I please ask that anybody who believes this chap is still doing it actually takes some photographic evidence and sends it to CRT.

The query about use of volunteers is being handled by someone else, and I will report back on that as well, when I am able to.

I have received this reply from Vicky Martin, South East Waterways manager, which she is happy that I post here.

So from CRT's perspective, although this has occurred in the past, they can not find evidence of recent digging. Vicky has also emphasised to me that if anybody is CRT certainly wish to be told, so can I please ask that anybody who believes this chap is still doing it actually takes some photographic evidence and sends it to CRT.

The query about use of volunteers is being handled by someone else, and I will report back on that as well, when I am able to.

Yes it's quite unfortunate that the two separate issues of an old geezer digging up the towpath and a data logger in the same area overstepping his authority and seemingly trying to intimidate the boaters are getting conflated.

There have been suggestions that the data logger might be the son of the old geezer, but no evidence of this seems to exist.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Would it create a huge problem if we just avoided mooring outside his home ?

As a general rule I try to avoid mooring by houses so as not to irritate or annoy anyone, plus I don't have to be concerned that my every move may be being observed.

Surely one boat length left unoccupied on the Grand Union is not going to create an issue. Just as a courtesy.

Rog

Would it create a huge problem if we just avoided mooring outside his home ?

As a general rule I try to avoid mooring by houses so as not to irritate or annoy anyone, plus I don't have to be concerned that my every move may be being observed.

Surely one boat length left unoccupied on the Grand Union is not going to create an issue. Just as a courtesy.

Rog

As always with thin ends of wedges, the concern is when neighbours see what he has achieved, it will eventually turn into two boat-lengths, then three, then ten, then probably NO MOORING at all.

• Greenie 1

As always with thin ends of wedges, the concern is when neighbours see what he has achieved, it will eventually turn into two boat-lengths, then three, then ten, then probably NO MOORING at all.

Or the old guy will become less able to patrol, and the whole thing is forgotten as everyone gets on with living. It's just a phase.

Rog

• Greenie 1

And here, published with her permission, is the information I have been given about use of volunteers in that area by Jacqui Flint, Volunteer Development Coordinator, South East Waterways......

Hello Alan

I can confirm Matthews comments below that we currently have one Mooring Ranger volunteering in Giffard Park who gathers sightings once a week of boat index numbers and names. He does not check licence details and certainly would not challenge a boater about their licence. I have walked the stretch with this volunteer and he is clear about his responsibilities and the boundaries of his role.

I am also currently in the process of recruiting Towpath Ranger volunteers to work along the MK canal corridor between the Black Horse pub and Fenny Stratford. They will have a much wider role than a Mooring Ranger but will include an element of collecting sightings data as required. More details about this role can be seen here for your information.

Kind regards

Jacqui Flint

Although I'm not in the area being discussed may I thank you for your time and effort in communicating with CRT to gain this information.

I have found CRT very good at responding to written enquiries and telephone calls. Just yesterday I called CRT to report an extremely,nigh on impossible to operate swing bridge just outside Skipton. I was on the call for less than three minutes.

Although I'm not in the area being discussed may I thank you for your time and effort in communicating with CRT to gain this information.

I have found CRT very good at responding to written enquiries and telephone calls. Just yesterday I called CRT to report an extremely,nigh on impossible to operate swing bridge just outside Skipton. I was on the call for less than three minutes.

How long before the call gets a response to remedy the problem is what they should be judged on.

information I have been given about use of volunteers in that area by Jacqui Flint, Volunteer Development Coordinator, South East Waterways......

Hello Alan

I can confirm Matthews comments below that we currently have one Mooring Ranger volunteering in Giffard Park who gathers sightings once a week of boat index numbers and names. He does not check licence details and certainly would not challenge a boater about their licence. I have walked the stretch with this volunteer and he is clear about his responsibilities and the boundaries of his role.

I am also currently in the process of recruiting Towpath Ranger volunteers to work along the MK canal corridor between the Black Horse pub and Fenny Stratford. They will have a much wider role than a Mooring Ranger but will include an element of collecting sightings data as required. More details about this role can be seen here for your information.

Kind regards

Jacqui Flint

As per discussion 2 years ago. The volunteer did look through windows!!! didn't understand that licenses were to be printed !!

By the boater, and accusation of forgery was made.!!!, time we be staying there for!!

That stay 2 years ago we had 2/3 days of this gentleman looking really looking inside our boat,

This was reported,and was told that they knew the ranger,and he would be invited for re training.

Although later we had another situation,where it really did erupt. Another long standing forum member was there also,

didn't see much,but heard the commotion but I never reported the volenteer due to it possibly being

6 and half a dozen, but still he defiantly was not professional dealing with me.!! And that's a fact, displaying some issues.

He was very thorough doing his checks, and telling me that his sick of boaters abusing the system. Shufflers, drunk abusers

Having a go at a boater,there was a beer can on his roof. That's no way to live.

This was reported,CRT of course knew the ranger,and would be invited for re training.

Last year I stay out of his way,going inside the boat and pulling our blinds down

But folks had told me last year,that he's still upsetting folks, hearing experiences from othe boaters.

A couple of weeks ago we have more folks who just recently came across this volunteer, being rude to the wife, asking question about licences, and how long they were there,and when their leaving,the wife asked for is ID and he went off on one,again she asked and he put it right up to he face aggressively. The volenteer raising his voice upset the lady. The husband wasn't their at the time. This confrontation lasted about 5 mins!!

This isn't bad considering CRT said they didn't have a volenteer at Gifford,but now as above they have now, and maybe he has had more training,and the trainer has walked with him, but it seams he's still a obesnate rude jobs worth.

Would be better if he liked boaters, !!!! and CRT take on folks that have a like and understanding of canals and canal users.

This would be a good idea. because he certainly didn't come accross that he does.

2 years ago I saw him myself creating bad feeling, and he seems to still managering that.

It seems that CRT are not telling the truth about complaints re the area,or people don't notify the charity

And if no one has the time to make a complaint, CRT can't be blamed,and this will continue.

As yet, due to bad health I haven't moved the boat this year, but if I do I like to go to Gifford again, and see if it's a better experience this year.

Last year our Resident Gardener was still digging over his garden, and CRT know it.

And if he still is, CRT and British waterways have let him get away with it Certainly for 3 years!

I hope that if I do get to Gifford it will be different. Possibly polite volunteers not crouching down peering in and asking me how long I be staying, and a untouched grass tow path for the length of the mooring

Col

Last year our Resident Gardener was still digging over his garden, and CRT know it.

And if he still is, CRT and British waterways have let him get away with it Certainly for 3 years!

So why not take some current pictures that support this statement, and mail them to CRT for comment?

I have done my best to get answers here, but unless I actually go there myself, (not possible at the moment, as I am on the Coventry canal), then, on the one hand, I have second hand reports saying that he is still digging, and CRT telling me that they have sent someone to check, and can find no evidence.

I have absolutely no reason to doubt the local Waterways manager telling me that if he is still at it, they want to know about it, and can't see what they stand to gain if they say he is not, and he actually still is. So take some photographic evidence, and send it to South East waterways.

(I also suggest you post it on here, so people can judge what is actually being talked about, and how serious it may actually be.)

Hi Alan

Anyway as you highlighted in your last post I did write, ( if he still is)

As you know Alan, I did sent evidence to yourself via email when he was still doing it.bac2 years ago

CRT also came out and it was evident he was still digging the tow path over,in fact increased the length.

This with photographic evidence was also sent to CRT at the time.

It also has been reported yet again this year February on this forum

See below

#1 Problems At Gifford Park: post #1 nbGulliver

Members

PipPipPip

10 posts

Boat Name:Gulliver

Posted 03 February 2016 - 09:19 AM

Our not-so-friendly-resident boat harasser at Gifford Park, who apparently is once again piling mud alongside the towpath at the bottom of his garden, may finally be taken on by the CRT legal department.

I am talking to Glyn Bumford at CRT who is liaising with the CRT Legal team to take this guy on (possibly on the grounds of vandalism).

What I need is any feedback (ideally first hand) that I can pass on to Glyn that might give CRT the evidence they need to sort this boater intimidation out.

If you can update this link with any personal experiences at Gifford Park (with contact details if poss) then maybe we can finally do something about this idiot.

Looking at the various forum notes it looks like he's been getting away with harassing boaters for a couple of years now and it's time we stamped it out.

Many thanks

JohnH

+ 0

MultiQuote

Blog This

I have also spokeen to contact at MR Glyn BumFord at CRT on the telephone,and sent again the evidence to Him, sending a email back promising it be dealt with,

This was this year, maybe peaple on their boats could post back if indeed he's now stopped.??

He certainly hadn't beginning of this year.

That's 3 years at least

Anyway maybe he has now stopped now, and that would be because of boaters reporting it.

Let's cross our fingers

Col

Apologies Edited due to spelling

Edited by bigcol

CRT quite

Hello Alan

He does not check licence details and certainly would not challenge a boater about their licence. I have walked the stretch with this volunteer and he is clear about his responsibilities and the boundaries of his role.

Kind regards

Jacqui Flint

End of quote

Ist sentence

yes but he did and was, and still does it seems.

2nd sentence

Maybe hopefully they will take on people who likes boating and boaters.

A forum member who has contacted me, this morning, is going up that way soon, albeit only for one night I have asked if he can take some photos.

Anyway morning has broken, another lovely day, ducks and swans outside, being fed by my wife.

Canal is beautiful, life is a gift, lots more positive.

It's so easy to moan, should be looking at what we all have and enjoy.

Col

Edited by bigcol

Col, I'm completely lost in your posts, quotes and comments. I cannot tell what is/was a quote and what is your comments on the quotes

Richard

MORE: Have we established that the CRT appointed volunteer and the over zealous volunteer are the same person?

Edited by RLWP

Col, I'm completely lost in your posts, quotes and comments. I cannot tell what is/was a quote and what is your comments on the quotes

Richard

MORE: Have we established that the CRT appointed volunteer and the over zealous volunteer are the same person?

I'm not sure.

Lol Sorry Richard

II've now deleted my quote on my quote.i confused my self

Shouldn't post whilst on my medication.

If I read it again, I may delete if ifs too much of a mess.

The post before my last, starts of with Alan's quote from the CRT trainer

Which I commented on the 2 sentences.

Apologies for confusion,

As an aside I finally saw my acquaintance yesterday who is a CRT bod. Interestingly he says his role title is "Volunteer Warden". So there are still CRT vollys about called 'Wardens' (which was questioned earlier in the thread.)

And he has an ID card the size of a credit card on a lanyard which he wears around his neck when on duty, so people can see he is official. Sometimes he tucks it into his outer clothing as it tends to attract a stream of boaters approaching him with complaints about infrastructure problems not on his patch. E.g. "Ah a CRT bloke! There's a shallow bit we got stuck on last week, about 20 miles back that way, near Bath", for example...

(Edit to add a missing word.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

As an aside I finally saw my acquaintance yesterday who is a CRT bod. Interestingly he says his role title is "Volunteer Warden". So there are still CRT vollys about called 'Wardens' (which was questioned earlier in the thread.)

Can you find a link to a Volunteering role with "warden" in the name?

What is the actual job description for a "volunteer warden"?

Below is a copy of a link in your post

They are now our guardians of the canal

IT skills required to log boaters

They are the canal Rangers

Waldens, they seemed to promote them selves as.when they stop you,they introduce them selves as.

Last year met a lot of Rangers walden a guardians of the waterway, plenty at stoke bruene, and all of them were nice and helpful.

Just have to be careful who they take on surely.

People who like people, and like the waterways,and its users is a good start.

Our waterways are a living tourist attraction, much loved by visitors to them and the communities around them. Towpath Rangers are our guardians of the local waterway, a friendly face who is happy to chat to towpath users including boaters, walkers, cyclists and anglers when needed. On your regular (weekly or more often) walks along your towpath patch, you’ll get to feedback anything you think we should be aware of too.

As a Towpath Ranger the activities you undertake will vary but are likely to include some of the following:

• Regularly walk a stretch of the canal and be the public face of the Canal and River Trust, talking to towpath users, answering queries and providing excellent customer service

• Support the Contracts team to monitor frequency and quality of grass and tree cutting

• Carry out simple environmental and wildlife surveys

• Survey and maintain signage, Graffiti removal and litter picking

• Record mooring sightings and upload on line

Benefits

This is a great opportunity to have a positive impact and make improvements on your local waterway

Meet other local volunteers, learn new skills, and hear about other volunteering opportunities if you would like to get more involved.

Enjoy some gentle exercise, getting out and about on your local stretch of canal and helping people engage with the waterways.

Skills required

Ideally you’ll have local knowledge and an interest in the waterway and the surrounding area, but this is not essential. Most important is the ability to communicate and help others, with a friendly and outgoing manner.

You will need access to the internet to be able to log boat sightings you take.

You’ll need some flexibility, being prepared to work on your own or with others.

Enjoyment of working outdoors is important, whatever the weather - possibly for up to one or two hours a day (depending on the location and your availability).

A basic knowledge of IT would be beneficial, although full training will be given.

We will provide relevant safety advice and provide you with a uniform and necessary equipment.

Reasonable out-of-pocket expenses can be claimed.

Nope! Which is why I said it's 'interesting' that he believes his job title is specifically 'warden'.

He's been at it for a quite a while so it may be a 'legacy' job title. Or maybe he is plain wrong if he checks his paperwork (which I'm not planning to ask him to do!) But is suggests the word 'warden' is embedded in his mind as his role. Maybe the training course uses the word 'warden' colloquially when the official title is something else.

He said his role is to walk the towpath being the eyes and ears of the CRT office. He is looking for problems the office needs to know about. He specifically commented on damaged infrastrucure, boater crap spilling out onto the towpath, and obvous long term overstaying as things he is expected to tell the office about for them to co-ordinate action. He says is not supposed to be getting into challenging boaters directly about things, e.g. stuff on the towpath or licences being displayed or not.

I can see you are having problems with quoting, but when you introduce a load of words into a quote by myself that were never there in the first place, it is confusing to say the least!

It may well be that some of these volunteers give themselves a self-styled title of "warden", preferring it to "ranger", but I don't think CRT actually call any of these roles "warden" do they?

Which was my point, (but I'm kind of losing the will to live on this particular point now.................)

I can see you are having problems with quoting

Which was my point, (but I'm kind of losing the will to live on this particular point now.................)

Yes your right,my apologies

Totally agree,!!! when you see what's happening around the world, all the hate, and fighting

Seems just too much, need a bit more prospective is needed

Thankyou Alan

Your welcome

It is a nice place seriously

Great moorings.

Great pub,cheap meals,has wifi,nice walks.

Has shops, water bins and Elsan.

Great fish and chip shop and a Chinese.

Friendly CRT Waldon/ ranger

And a keen gardener.

Although I think maybe the gardener has got another hobbie.

Col

Ps have a good time