Why are battery filler caps hidden?

Featured Posts

Three new leisure batteries fitted a few weeks ago that appeared to be of the sealed type (no big problem.) On closer investigation it turns out that large and thick plastic labels cover the filler caps which I have now removed (likely void warranty rolleyes.gif.) They can be topped up! Why do manufacturers hide the filler caps? Many thanks..

Three new leisure batteries fitted a few weeks ago that appeared to be of the sealed type (no big problem.) On closer investigation it turns out that large and thick plastic labels cover the filler caps which I have now removed (likely void warranty rolleyes.gif.) They can be topped up! Why do manufacturers hide the filler caps? Many thanks..

The caps are so mean and cheap they're probably embarrassed about them and so cover them up. Unlike the old big proper stoppers that could be grasped properly that batteries once had. Also in the hope that the purchaser won't find them, run out of electrolite and knacker the battery, but just out of warranty of course.

The caps are so mean and cheap they're probably embarrassed about them and so cover them up. Unlike the old big proper stoppers that could be grasped properly that batteries once had. Also in the hope that the purchaser won't find them, run out of electrolite and knacker the battery, but just out of warranty of course.

That was my first thought.

In the usual "car battery" environment with clever charging by modern alternators there is little need to top up a battery during it's reasonable life. Most users of batteries have lost the skill of topping up a battery if they ever could, probably keeping the acid secure against other uses is a part of the plan. Possibly the moulded thread and the moulded plug simply add a few savable pence to each battery.

In the usual "car battery" environment with clever charging by modern alternators there is little need to top up a battery during it's reasonable life. Most users of batteries have lost the skill of topping up a battery if they ever could, probably keeping the acid secure against other uses is a part of the plan. Possibly the moulded thread and the moulded plug simply add a few savable pence to each battery.

I think you perhaps misunderstand slightly. The threads and plug are in place, but covered by a thick sticker. At first they look like sealed batteries, but on removing said stickers are in fact open cell.

I can only assume it is to save money by not needing to punch six holes into the sticker, and as Bizzard suggests, they won't normally be topped up so may run dry prompting one to buy more.

Edited by Guest

I would be inclined to believe that most people are perfectly capable of unscrewing a battery stopper and topping up the electrolyte to just above the plates with distilled water.

I would be inclined to believe that most people are perfectly capable of unscrewing a battery stopper and topping up the electrolyte to just above the plates with distilled water.

You haven't met my family then? :)

I am sorry to say I think you are wrong, some people have problems knowing which way to unscrew the cap off a bottle.

My Auntie Bessie was sharp as needles but I doubt she would recognise a battery if presented with one, let alone grasp the fundamantals of topping one up.

Some people know they are not competent to top up their batteries and call upon the professionals to do it. Working as a petrol pump attendant (several years ago) I was the professional in respect of car batteries. A gentleman asked me to top up his battery for him. Fine, but then insisted that I used tap water not distilled water even though it was free. Asked why, he said the acid in the batteries would kill off all the bugs so there was no need for faffing around with special water.

There are all sorts out there.

They are probably "maintenance free" so should need no topping up during a normal life cycle unless subjected to abnormal charging. The plugs? how else do you expect them to put the electrolyte in?

Me too, but I find a worrying number of people unable to find their own arse with both hands unless their mum helps them, let alone perform tasks like topping up electrolyte.

I wonder what James May would have to say about supposedly intelligent people who are incapable of topping up a battery:

'When people say, "Oh, I'm so impractical. I can't even wire a plug", because they think that makes them sound more intellectual, I think, "No, that means you're thick, because the instructions are on the plug and if you can't do that, you are a moron. Then people say, "I'm very technically minded, but I don't know anything about writing and I can't do punctuation." I think, "No, you're just thick, because those things are quite simple." I'm sure people with properly developed brains can do a bit of both.'

Perhaps googling 'how to top up a car battery' might be a good start if your not sure on how to do it. smile.png

Just to edit from what I can make out the only difference between a sealed and non sealed is the style of the stopper. Sealed batteries still need topping up if the charging method over gasses the electrolyte.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

They are probably "maintenance free" so should need no topping up during a normal life cycle unless subjected to abnormal charging. The plugs? how else do you expect them to put the electrolyte in?

Me too, but I find a worrying number of people unable to find their own arse with both hands unless their mum helps them, let alone perform tasks like topping up electrolyte.

Couldn't agree more. However, my question was not how the manufacturer filled the batteries, but why were they hidden? The last set I had were not covered in this fashion, despite being almost identical. Why are these?

Edited by Guest

Couldn't agree more. However, my question was not how the manufacturer filled the batteries, but why were they hidden? The last set I had were not covered in this fashion, despite being almost identical. Why are these?

I think they are hidden because they are supposed to be maintenance free and require no user service.

I think they are hidden because they are supposed to be maintenance free and require no user service.

Well, quite. In the olden days when my MG had a dynamo and a mechanical regulator, it was crap at managing the battery and it regularly needed to be topped up

When I fitted an alternator, i never had to put in any electrolyte ever again. The batteries lasted longer too

Richard

I wonder what James May would have to say about supposedly intelligent people who are incapable of topping up a battery:

'When people say, "Oh, I'm so impractical. I can't even wire a plug", because they think that makes them sound more intellectual, I think, "No, that means you're thick, because the instructions are on the plug and if you can't do that, you are a moron. Then people say, "I'm very technically minded, but I don't know anything about writing and I can't do punctuation." I think, "No, you're just thick, because those things are quite simple." I'm sure people with properly developed brains can do a bit of both.'

Perhaps googling 'how to top up a car battery' might be a good start if your not sure on how to do it. smile.png

Just to edit from what I can make out the only difference between a sealed and non sealed is the style of the stopper. Sealed batteries still need topping up if the charging method over gasses the electrolyte.

When I was at work we had a saying, "every one can put a plug top on and every one can tune the TV" it was said in sarcasm I might add. If Mr may had seen the number of incorrectly fitted plug tops that I have seen he wouldn't say that. Why do you think its law that all appliances come with a fitted plug top now.

When I was at work we had a saying, "every one can put a plug top on and every one can tune the TV" it was said in sarcasm I might add. If Mr may had seen the number of incorrectly fitted plug tops that I have seen he wouldn't say that. Why do you think its law that all appliances come with a fitted plug top now.

I remember getting a hell of a belt of a steel cased battery charger when I was on the tools. The guy who brought it for me to fix thought that the green coloured conductor was the one that went to "L" pin. frusty.gif

Well, quite. In the olden days when my MG had a dynamo and a mechanical regulator, it was crap at managing the battery and it regularly needed to be topped up

When I fitted an alternator, i never had to put in any electrolyte ever again. The batteries lasted longer too

Richard

I can see that, but I do wonder about boats fitted with battery boilers? They can take the charge voltage higher, and I recall the Sterling one I once bought stated that one could expect to "use water" when it was fitted. That was 12 years ago and things move on of course. I never actually fitted the battery boiler and sold it.

For the record we have a 14.4V reg on the alt and have used no electrolyte in this set of batteries since leaving home in early June. Also the charger bungs 14.8 in, but i don't use that much these days thanks to solar panels. So discovering the filler caps was not really any advantage in this case. Thinking about it, I don't ever recall topping the starter battery up after 3600 hrs and twelve years.

Seems the most likely explanation, and might be OK in a caravan, but not always ideal on a boat (battery boilers at play.)

Maintainance free wet batteries are called VRLA (valve regulated lead acid ) batteries.

When a normal battery fizzes the gas escapes and eventually the lost content has to be replaced with purified water (I'm not up for arguing what is best). A VRLA however has a casing designed to withstand an amount of fizz up until the safety limit of the regulated valve. Under normal use this should very rarely happen and therefore the battery should be maintenance free.

• Greenie 2

And as an afterthought for a second greenie.....

Since a charged/fizzy VRLA is under pressure you would have to be a splatter faced numpty to undo the filler cap to see what was happening (might be last thing you did see).

Message ends.

• Greenie 1

Maintainance free wet batteries are called VRLA (valve regulated lead acid ) batteries.

When a normal battery fizzes the gas escapes and eventually the lost content has to be replaced with purified water (I'm not up for arguing what is best). A VRLA however has a casing designed to withstand an amount of fizz up until the safety limit of the regulated valve. Under normal use this should very rarely happen and therefore the battery should be maintenance free.

So that's how they work. By ensuring the charge rate is kept below the 'safety valve' limit then they won't need topping up. Makes sense. Have another greenie

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Some VRLAs use a catalytic "implant" to recombine the H and O2 back to water

Most if not all VRLA's recombined H & O2. That is why they are also known as requested omination cells.

If you open one up, the gaps between the plates are filled with cloth like fibres, to absorb any liquid.