Filling gas bottles

ChimneyChain

Featured Posts

With no paperwork / maintenance history it is just so much scrap metal. Hence the "gate guardian" suggestion! Anyway, gliding is proper flying, using an engine is cheating!

When are you selling the narrow boat and getting one of these then?

broadssailing2.jpg

captain.gif

On the back of the shortage of Calor 4.5kg bottles I have organised a camping gaz 907 cylinder and regulator adaptor for emergency use, hideously expensive but a lot less hassle than farting about trying to fill from one bottle to the other or using autogas LPG.

Not much point swapping to 3.9kg propane as they are in short supply too, I'd need a new reg too.

Refiling may work for live aboard boaters that have a car or filling station with autogas close by, not so good if you are miles from a station and only got shank's pony to rely on.

I think you are right about the shortage of Calor 4.5 kg. I tried to get one in Norfolk the other day and was told that size bottle had been on their order list for some weeks, but Calor were not delivering. The chap in the shop reckoned Calor are trying to phase them out. I ended up buying a 3.9 Kg propane instead with a new regulator. I now have three types of cylinder on the boat now!

I think you are right about the shortage of Calor 4.5 kg. I tried to get one in Norfolk the other day and was told that size bottle had been on their order list for some weeks, but Calor were not delivering. The chap in the shop reckoned Calor are trying to phase them out. I ended up buying a 3.9 Kg propane instead with a new regulator. I now have three types of cylinder on the boat now!

Dad is a broads boater and was told the bottles are being refurbished/replaced.

I can't see them doing away with butane completely tbh.

Our supplier in Wellingborough didn't give a reason for the shortage but was less than happy at having limited stock of his most popular summer gasses!

He had trouble getting all sizes 3.9 - 13kg propane, butane and patio gas.

Edited by gazza

Our supplier in Wellingborough didn't give a reason for the shortage but was less than happy at having limited stock of his most popular summer gasses!

Probably because so many bottles have been removed from circulation by amateur refillers, and constructors of gas bottle BBQs

• Greenie 1

Probably because so many bottles have been removed from circulation by amateur refillers, and constructors of gas bottle BBQs

If Calor sent a wagon around the recycling places, they would recover hundreds of the things. When they stop depriving people of their "deposit" they might get a few back legitimately.

Interesting comment about Butane, when we were on the Broads almost everybody used Butane, in fact I can't think of anybody who used propane.

Oh we left the Broads 6 years ago.

Phil

Not a very big BBQ, a 45 gallon drum is the favoured diy BBQ.

Gas bottles (13kg particularly) make excellent log burners.

Interesting comment about Butane, when we were on the Broads almost everybody used Butane, in fact I can't think of anybody who used propane.

Oh we left the Broads 6 years ago.

Phil

As i understand it Butane has a higher heat output per gramme so is more useful in summer but freeze's in the winter, we don't use the boat much in winter so pointless swapping to propane for us. I guess this is true for most leisure boaters - remembering that storage is a premium on most typicall cruisers.

I'm any body finds my 'will to live' can it please be returned?

Reminds me of a colleague delivering a presentation to a particularly acerbic director, who loved trying to put people off when they were delivering presentations to him, and sometimes succeeded in making grown men cry.

Director: Yawn

Colleague carries on presenting.

Director: YAWN

Colleague carries on presenting.

Director: Yawn, I'm losing the (expletive deleted) will to live here, get to the main point.

Colleague : Well you will just have to (expletive deleted) die then, I have spent a week producing this presentation, and I'm not going to change it for you or anyone else.

Director: splutter, splutter, well I'm lost for words!

• Greenie 1

If Calor sent a wagon around the recycling places, they would recover hundreds of the things. When they stop depriving people of their "deposit" they might get a few back legitimately.

Hmm.

Are they depriving people of their deposit though?

As I understand it, a cylinder agreement is for a duration of 50 years, And you pay £40 for it.

If you return the cylinder in the early years, you get a fair bit of that back, but ultimately it falls to £10 that you get back.

Look at what you are paying another way;

When you hire a bottle, you pay a deposit of £10 and advance rental of £30. You can always get the deposit portion back.

The rental portion is for the first 7 years. The remainder of the term is rent free.

Hmm.

Are they depriving people of their deposit though?

As I understand it, a cylinder agreement is for a duration of 50 years, And you pay £40 for it.

If you return the cylinder in the early years, you get a fair bit of that back, but ultimately it falls to £10 that you get back.

Look at what you are paying another way;

When you hire a bottle, you pay a deposit of £10 and advance rental of £30. You can always get the deposit portion back.

The rental portion is for the first 7 years. The remainder of the term is rent free.

Debatable, but why aren't folk returning them? You seem to want to chastise people who don't return them, but on the other hand deprive them of their deposit entitlement. In the pre plastic litter age when we regularly returned things for a deposit (glass bottles for example) we got the money back. If Calor are struggling for bottles, as has been suggested, perhaps they need to rethink their returns strategy? I notice that you offered no argument re. Calor collecting their own bottles from recycling centres etc? Why not cut the middle man out?

With the added benefit that you can return a rented container for a new (or refurbished) one at any time, free of charge.

I suggest they are not free of charge, but the on cost is included in the price of the recharged cylinder. Nothing is free in this life.