shot/quill blasting - is DIY possible?

Featured Posts

If I ever want to strip all the paint off, I would prefer to pay to get it done quickly, than fooling around for ages (or longer) trying to do it myself.

Peter.

Agreed!

Richard

having watched lots of blasters and also airless spray operatives who normally have a finger or two missing its stuff I wouldn't want to play with.

Every machine has it's dangers, even cars and motorbikes, if you would only know how many people that drive (or have driven) one of these have lost or damaged a member (or worse) and you still drive a car while knowing what could (but luckily doesn't have to) happen.

Even a (narrow)boat can be dangerous, you hear stories about people that fell overboard, most of them managed to get out, but sadly some didn't.

Did that stop you from boating ?

Drive carefully,

Peter.

And a further tip, don't go near any edges or crevices, leave them for the grinder.

This is really good advice. The discs are great but if you get the tungsten tips on the rubbing strakes they tear off. I use one every time I black the boat and by getting a good key the bitumen is good for nearly four years.

Every machine has it's dangers, even cars and motorbikes, if you would only know how many people that drive (or have driven) one of these have lost or damaged a member (or worse) and you still drive a car while knowing what could (but luckily doesn't have to) happen.

Even a (narrow)boat can be dangerous, you hear stories about people that fell overboard, most of them managed to get out, but sadly some didn't.

Did that stop you from boating ?

Drive carefully,

Peter.

But how many more would be killed or injured if they didn't have any training.

But how many more would be killed or injured if they didn't have any training.

I've been around many barge repair yards over the years, in Holland, Belgium, France and Germany and I can honestly say that I didn't see any blaster- or spray operators with missing fingers.

But I have seen several carpenters with missing fingers and one (an uncle of mine) missing half of one hand with a circular saw accident, that happened to him more than 75 years ago, before the machines had better protection.

How about angle grinders, they are a regular cause for accidents, working can be very dangerous, but even if you don't work (anymore) you're not safe as the roads are full of fools, and even football stadiums are a hazard nowadays.

It's much better not to think too much about everything that can happen, and just be as careful as you can, and enjoy life.

Peter.

• Greenie 1

I've been around many barge repair yards over the years, in Holland, Belgium, France and Germany and I can honestly say that I didn't see any blaster- or spray operators with missing fingers.

But I have seen several carpenters with missing fingers and one (an uncle of mine) missing half of one hand with a circular saw accident, that happened to him more than 75 years ago, before the machines had better protection.

How about angle grinders, they are a regular cause for accidents, working can be very dangerous, but even if you don't work (anymore) you're not safe as the roads are full of fools, and even football stadiums are a hazard nowadays.

It's much better not to think too much about everything that can happen, and just be as careful as you can, and enjoy life.

Peter.

Fine Bye

As mentioned grit blasting is very noisy and the dust gets every where and you will still need to buy the Jblast grit.,We have used the high pressure water blasting on

Concrete repairs but again it is very noisy and very expensive. As someone has mentioned you can use a wet sand blast this uses kiln dried sand and you can buy the attachment

that will fit most jet washers I think they are about £50 and they work very well, If it was me I would always get a company in to do grit blasting.

If you`ve the time may I recommend soda blasting. Far more environmentally friendly and doesn`t damage

glass rubber etc. Also and more importantly supposed to leave a protective film to allow time before

repainting. Bought the Miller kit for myself to use on my classic cars although not yet used it. Sold on

the idea having watched their video. However obviously unless you do a bit at a time a narrow boat might

be very time consuming.