Please be careful

boathunter

Featured Posts

A couple of days ago a perfectly fit and able friend took a tumble down the back steps into a narrowboat and knocked himself spark out for 2 minutes. For the next 2 hours he couldn't remember the previous week or who anyone but me was. He's OK now.

Then yesterday my neighbour burnt out every DC cable battery side of the isolar switch. One hot cable sliced through a battery. There was smoke and flames and acid. He'd been attempting to replace the isolator switch without first disconnecting ... anything at all. 3x180ah batteries connected to a rat's nest. We were reduced to tearing cables off after his wife politely knocked on the window. We do speak! He know's I know something of these things. He knew I was on my boat farting about. He thought it would be quicker his way than disconnecting the batteries.

They also have an old 22ft inboard petrol engined grp cruiser, use it every day, mum and dad (very nice family) sleep in it. I asked if it has a bilge blower. He didn't know what one was. I'm thinking of moving...

Holy crap - is a functioning bilge blower not a BSS requirement on inboard petrol engine boats then?

He probably has one then. They're new to boating as I am. I like to read stuff. I think I may have read a bilge blower in such a petrol boat should run with the engine and continue runnining for a time after? When he cuts the engine I don't hear a fan and I know they tend to be noisy, I have one to help the heating in my camper.

Oh hell, we reported a cabin cruiser owner a few weeks back, he was renting it on airbnb, he was advising the guests to use the oven to keep the boat warm at night and had also provided one of those gas canister camping stoves. You know, the ones you're not supposed to use in boats?

A guest complained of the smell of fumes and said something like, 'yes I know the petrol genny was leaking but it's fixed now.' We thought we'd better do something before he accidentally killed someone.

It's amazing how many people know nothing at all about these dangers.

As said earlier, they are a lovely family, 2 very well behaved kids. They are as green as they come. If I can find out about the bilge blower requirements and take a minute to explain it to him, I might save him blowing himself and his family sky high.

He also has/had a 240v extension draped across the 12v spaghetti ending with a 3-way adapter sitting on the damp floor of engine bilge, cruiser stern. Plugged into that is a washing machine and 12v charger for a light. That was badly damaged in the short circuiting fireworkd too, but thankfully switched off.

Anyone else here run a 240v washing machine under a tarp on a cruiser stern? Am I worrying too much?

Oh hell, we reported a cabin cruiser owner a few weeks back, he was renting it on airbnb, he was advising the guests to use the oven to keep the boat warm at night and had also provided one of those gas canister camping stoves. You know, the ones you're not supposed to use in boats?

A guest complained of the smell of fumes and said something like, 'yes I know the petrol genny was leaking but it's fixed now.' We thought we'd better do something before he accidentally killed someone.

It's amazing how many people know nothing at all about these dangers.

Despite all the publicity over the Arniston deaths! e.g. http://www.pbo.co.uk/news/fatal-co-poisoning-motor-cruiser-18570

Edited by David Mack

one of those gas canister camping stoves. You know, the ones you're not supposed to use in boats?

Speaking to an examiner earlier this year, the use of the stoves isn't the problem it's the storage of the canisters as they don't always seal properly. If you stored the canisters in your gas locker and only took them out to use and then put them back there once you've finished there isn't a problem.

However in the situation you describe I doubt they did that :)

Speaking to an examiner earlier this year, the use of the stoves isn't the problem it's the storage of the canisters as they don't always seal properly. If you stored the canisters in your gas locker and only took them out to use and then put them back there once you've finished there isn't a problem.

However in the situation you describe I doubt they did that smile.png

They didn't! The guests were complaining of both gas and petrol fumes, the 'landlord' said, 'well you did leave the canisters in the heater.' We've got one of the little cookers that uses the same cans, we use it as a gas barbie, (you can buy a barbecue plate for about a tenner), it's great, but both cooker and cans are stored outside on the boat and the cans are not left in the stove.

As said earlier, they are a lovely family, 2 very well behaved kids. They are as green as they come. If I can find out about the bilge blower requirements and take a minute to explain it to him, I might save him blowing himself and his family sky high.

I don't think so as this is from the Boat safety team, Go Boating Stay Safe

"

• Consider having bilge blowers fitted to the boat to remove any flammable vapours prior to starting the engine. Bilge blowers need to be proprietary, have ignition protected circuitry and be sized to the volume of your engine space, so seek competent help to select and fit the right blower for your boat.
  • In use, always follow the bilge blower instructions on when to run it and for how long, but never rely solely on them to keep you safe. Always carry out your checks of the petrol system before fuelling and before starting the engine."