Surveyor

kawaton

Featured Posts

Hi all

I am sure this question has been asked a few times.....indeed a quick search suggests as much, therefore apologies in advance and I will review those also....but could people please recommend a good surveyor in the midlands area?

I expect most replies, if I am so lucky to have a few, will be positive posts about good surveyors, which would be most appreciated.

However if anybody has any strong feelings as to surveyors to avoid, if there are any, then a PM would be most appreciated also.

Nervy times buying a boat when you know little to nothing other than what has been learnt when hiring!

So snippets of advice when appointing a surveyor are all welcome....

Many thanks to anyone who can assist.

Edited by kawaton

Is a 'good surveyor' one who gives all the boats he surveys a clean bill of health so you can get insurance?

Or one who finds and documents every nit-picking fault so you can negotiate doen the price when buying?

Or one whose T&Cs allow you to sue him if he gets it wrong?

Just wondering what the term 'good surveyor' means to you. No need to answer on here but might be illuminating to answer them to yourself!

Is a 'good surveyor' one who gives all the boats he surveys a clean bill of health so you can get insurance?

Or one who finds and documents every nit-picking fault so you can negotiate doen the price when buying?

Or one whose T&Cs allow you to sue him if he gets it wrong?

Just wondering what the term 'good surveyor' means to you. No need to answer on here but might be illuminating to answer them to yourself!

A 'neighbouring liveaboard' have used (for several BSS's) a VERY GOOD surveyor, he turns up, has a cup of tea. fills in the paperwork and departs half an hour later.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

A 'neighbouring liveaboard' have used (for several BSS's) a VERY GOOD surveyor, he turns up, has a cup of tea. fills in the paperwork and departs half an hour later.

Exactly.

Anyway, surely all surveyors fall into the 'good' category. You rarely hear someone saying they want an 'average' or 'mediocre' surveyor, do you?!

And far be it from me to cast aspersions on boat surveyors, in the world of house surveying 'drive by surveys' are reputed to be rife. This is where a surveyor doesn't actually survey the house, but just drives by to make sure it hasn't burned down then just copies over the details of the survey he happened to do on the the same property last time it changed hands, and collects the full fee. I sometimes wonder if this ever happens in the world of boat surveys too.

Craig Allen. We used him last year and were very pleased with him.

Another vote for Craig Allen. He also includes a new BSS Certificate in his price, assuming of course, that the boat passes the BSS examination.

Make sure you are there when the surveyor inspects the bost. You will learn a lot, and he will show you how things like how to operate the boiler and inverter.

Thanks for the responses so far. Your time taken to post is appreciated.

Valid question on what is a good surveyor....particularly for me.

For my requirements, I don't need finance, so no issues with insurance. Driving down the price isn't my immediate aim.

What I want is a surveyor who won't object to me being present, and taking the time to explain as much as possible as we go along.

Not, as I say, to drive down the price but rather what is an issue and what is not. What is easily fixed and what is not. What is normal, and what is not.

And ultimately is the boat worth what I'm paying.

I appreciate there are things put down on paper and then there may be "off the record" pointers.

I want to learn hands on.

I do not want a surveyor who is looking to complete the job as quick as possible. I want honesty, patience and the desire to collaborate :)

I hope that provides a bit of clarity

The two names mentioned here will be on my list.

There is also an Iain Jones that has been mentioned a few times.

I am aware availability will dictate to a certain extent.

Edited by kawaton

Thanks for the responses so far. Your time taken to post is appreciated.

What I want is a surveyor who won't object to me being present, and taking the time to explain as much as possible as we go along.

Not, as I say, to drive down the price but rather what is an issue and what is not. What is easily fixed and what is not. What is normal, and what is not.

And ultimately is the boat worth what I'm paying.

I appreciate there are things put down on paper and then there may be "off the record" pointers.

I want to learn hands on.

That was exactly what i wanted from my surveyor when i purchased my first boat. I used Trevor Whitling and he was brilliant.

Haven't i read things on here from people saying that Craig Allen won't let people go around with him, but only does a thorough de-breif at the end?

For my requirements, I don't need finance, so no issues with insurance. Driving down the price isn't my immediate aim.

But - you wlil need insurance to be able to licence the boat.

On 'elderly' boats (age varies depending on insurance company) you will need a surveyors report to be able to get insurance cover (hence the question - do you just need the report to be able to obtain insurance)

Haven't i read things on here from people saying that Craig Allen won't let people go around with him, but only does a thorough de-breif at the end?

Maybe, but that wasn't my experience. Craig positively encourages you to be present.

Thanks Alan.

Right, understood, will undoubtedly need for insurance......but not my main aim of finding a "good" surveyor.

I write a lot of processes at work and there is one thing following something on paper but you learn more by "doing" I find......so being able to shadow and ask are the priorities :)

Edited by kawaton

Maybe, but that wasn't my experience. Craig positively encourages you to be present.

Same experience with Craig, very thorough and keen for me to be involved. Mind you he did point out an small problem that wasn't . Stilli was very happy with him.

Ian.

That was exactly what i wanted from my surveyor when i purchased my first boat. I used Trevor Whitling and he was brilliant.

Not in my case, Craig was more than happy to show me things as he found them, and to discuss why they were good or bad. He also gave me a small discount, because he was 5 minutes late, and later had to return home to collet the manometer that he had left behind.

Thoroughly professional and a pleasant chap to boot.

Craig was just as the others have said with us, too. He's a really decent chap.

I actually had to prod him a couple of weeks later to get around to sending us his bill, but we'd had the survey results verbally while we were with him and e-mailed to us within a couple of days.

Exactly.

Anyway, surely all surveyors fall into the 'good' category. You rarely hear someone saying they want an 'average' or 'mediocre' surveyor, do you?!

And far be it from me to cast aspersions on boat surveyors, in the world of house surveying 'drive by surveys' are reputed to be rife. This is where a surveyor doesn't actually survey the house, but just drives by to make sure it hasn't burned down then just copies over the details of the survey he happened to do on the the same property last time it changed hands, and collects the full fee. I sometimes wonder if this ever happens in the world of boat surveys too.

I've been selling houses for almost 30 years and am reasonably sure I have never experienced a drive by survey for a buyer. I am sure there have been some, but I'd guess not as rife as you might think.

Steve Hands of Hands on Marine did ours in 2011. Didn't want me on board while he did the survey, but spent over an hour talking me through it, and showing me any issues, after he had finished.

To say I was extremely pleased and impressed is an understatement. 5 years later, I often refer to his report to remind me of things that he suggested might be of concern, or to identify various bits of equipment.