Dover is for Sale Again!

john6767

Featured Posts

It's been sold twice since the TV programme....the "first" owner had the TV fit out replaced by D & J Narrowboats...it was all MDF...replaced with solid Oak... and a heap of overplating done by Dave Thomas. He then sold it thro ABNB to the current owner due to not using it enough. I believe it then moved to the K & A.

Cheers

Gareth

It's neither fish nor fowl- the conversion looks wrong (far too wide "top plank") so won't attract an enthusiast, but the boat puts off non enthusiast buyers who might like the fit out.

I know what you mean but the top plank used to be the least of its issues. After all it is a full length conversion so in that respect it remains more faithful to original looks than a similar full length conversion with a metal or wooden top, exposed windows etc.

We followed her from Napton to Oxford when we cruised last summer when we went up to Braunston and then down the Oxford canal. From the photos the fit out has certainly changed!

The interior is much better in my view than it used to be. in fact I rather like the layout and interior now and think it is a much more saleable boat than it used to be with all the rather wacky stuff that used to be in there.

The interior is much better in my view than it used to be. in fact I rather like the layout and interior now and think it is a much more saleable boat than it used to be with all the rather wacky stuff that used to be in there.

I agree, I often look at these 'designer' boats and think, 'but where do you keep all of your stuff?' It still has far too many windows for me, I'm used to portholes.

It might be a bit difficult to stand up straight thanks to the sloping sides. It's taking tumblehome a bit far for a leisure boat.

You might be surprised!

A "Town" class working boat like Dover has hull sides that are 4' 9" deep - massively more than any modern build leisure narrowboat, and at least 6" more even than most other carrying narrowboat types, (albeit that there are some exceptions!).

So most people would be able to stand across a fair width of the conversion, as they will be many inches below the simulated "top plank" part when stood in the middle.

Additionally the fact that the "top plank" has been made over-wide, (thereby marring any illusion that it is a genuine working boat!), is to increase the width across which standing height is achievable.

The biggest thing you notice when entering any converted "Town" class boat is usually just how far down inside it you are, (Flamingo has 5 deep steps to enter), and, if it has conventional windows, just how high above any floor they are.

"Under cloth" conversions of FMC Joshers, or the smaller "Grand Union" "Star" class boats tend to be quite claustrophobic, often with not a lot of width an average person can stand in. "Town" class boats tend to offer a lot more space.

(Nick Norman would still be challenged for height, I feel sure, but he is probably the least likely person to buy a working boat conversion!)

• Greenie 1

You might be surprised!

A "Town" class working boat like Dover has hull sides that are 4' 9" deep - massively more than any modern build leisure narrowboat, and at least 6" more even than most other carrying narrowboat types, (albeit that there are some exceptions!).

So most people would be able to stand across a fair width of the conversion, as they will be many inches below the simulated "top plank" part when stood in the middle.

Additionally the fact that the "top plank" has been made over-wide, (thereby marring any illusion that it is a genuine working boat!), is to increase the width across which standing height is achievable.

The biggest thing you notice when entering any converted "Town" class boat is usually just how far down inside it you are, (Flamingo has 5 deep steps to enter), and, if it has conventional windows, just how high above any floor they are.

"Under cloth" conversions of FMC Joshers, or the smaller "Grand Union" "Star" class boats tend to be quite claustrophobic, often with not a lot of width an average person can stand in. "Town" class boats tend to offer a lot more space.

(Nick Norman would still be challenged for height, I feel sure, but he is probably the least likely person to buy a working boat conversion!)

Hi Alan. Thanks for the reply, which I have just seen. I wonder how much the average height has increased in the past couple of hundred years.