8 sleeps and last minute nerves

Life Goes On

Featured Posts

Hello peeps,

I finally collect my boat a week tomorrow, 1991 50ft narrowboat and am getting some last minute nerves of how will I cope lol

I'm sure some people will be aghast that I went on my first ever narrowboat one day and made an offer the next day, move onto my boat next week and never handled one in my life!!! ?

Am now thinking that I should maybe do a course as I'll be a liveaboard, just me and the dog ???

Parents have narrowboated before and are going to help me bring her home but I am getting the jitters a bit - have I pushed the boat out too far this time ??? (still jolly excited too though ? )

I'm sure some people will be aghast that I went on my first ever narrowboat one day and made an offer the next day, move onto my boat next week and never handled one in my life!!!

Surely not!? Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your adventure anyway. ;)

Thanks Seadog ☺

Just been watching some YouTube videos about going through locks single handedly *gulp*

I can't wait to be on the cut though and can't believe how long its taken too but all good things and all that ......

I had never been on a boat when I made decision to buy, did loads research, asks umpteen zillion questions, had one built and fitted out still asking zillions of questions from those involved..i went on helmsman course and then I had help moving her to Marina..the guy who helped taught me all about boat and how to handle. I then gained experience, made loads mistakes especially in THAT tunnel. I love my boat more than anything, sadly believe gonna have to make THAT other decision soon due to external unpleasant issues. So what I'm gonna say is get out on her, enjoy and live your life. Take each day as it comes.

When we bought ours had never been on a narrowboat before, and was very apprehensive about locks. We had an experienced friend take us out for a couple of hours - never looked back, still learning - but that's part of the fun. Welcome and good luck, sure you'll be fine

We also bought the first narrowboat we ever set foot on - not to live on, mind you! You'll be fine. Your parents are there to help, and there's always the option of a boat handling course to boost your confidence with locks etc.

That is a very compressed timetable you've got there for starting boating, and I hope your boat was good value after so little shopping around, but I have a feeling you'll be fine because you clearly want to be a boater. A course is probably useful if you can afford it, but having your parents along for your first trip should be very helpful. You need to take the opportunity to learn every bit of boating knowledge they have, for as long as the trip lasts. You didn't say how long this trip will be; is it just a short hop from broker to mooring, or weeks moving from one end of the system to the other?

People on this forum are very helpful in all sorts of ways, from technical and boat handling advice up to and including turning up to help you; if you ask (maybe in the Crew Swap section) someone in the area will probably be happy to come along for a day out to teach you the basics of steering, mooring and operating locks, or there are professionals you can hire at about £100 per day.

Thanks boaters and it seems that It's quite a common occurrence then lol that seriously puts my mind at rest so thank you one and all

It has been quite a quick turnaround, in the grand scheme of things but I had done quite a bit of research, watched a fair bit of YouTube and we've got 3 days to bring her home and then I've got the following week off work to aclimatise the dog!

• Greenie 1

Heya all the worry ruminating is normal when it comes to buying a boat, ive had a lot of help from cwdf.

I wish you all the very very best in your new adventure.

Youlle be fine.

Just ask for advice like i do 'a lot'

Have fun. X

Edited by Greylady2

I had never set foot on a narrowboat 18 months ago. Sold my house , bought a boat and have been aboard 15 months now and couldn't be happier. It genuinely is the best thing i have ever done in my life.

• 4 weeks later...

I had never set foot on a narrowboat 18 months ago. Sold my house , bought a boat and have been aboard 15 months now and couldn't be happier. It genuinely is the best thing i have ever done in my life.

It's only been a few weeks for me now and it's just the best :)

I know it's no time at all and I have said to all to ask me again when it's cold lol but am loving it

My almost sunset :)

It's only been a few weeks for me now and it's just the best :)

I know it's no time at all and I have said to all to ask me again when it's cold lol but am loving itpost-26707-0-40208700-1470170614_thumb.jpg

So great if posted it twice lol

Still not managed to have training yet, had a few goes on our trip down which we did over 3 days, was only about 8hrs but it was great, we had some nice food (thanks Mum) and just enjoyed it all :)

We hit our first locks at Stoke Bruerne but Dad shouted out to a boater going past if we could go through with them, lovely couple - thanks Matt & Jill :D

We've moved the boat once, again Mum & Dad came over but they have visited me more since being a boater so don't think they mind, they're bringing other family with them next time and I think I might have to stay at theirs when they want to take her on holiday!!!

Before I know it, I'll be back on dry land and visiting them on my boat ;)