Instrument panel sounder

Featured Posts

I suspect the start / stop sounder. Within the last hour a constant sound is coming from the instrument panel it sounds like a high pitched Morse code, I've checked for loose conections but can't find anything wrong. I have placed tape over the sounder to mufflel the sound, but what is causing it.

Any ideas please.

Does the engine start and stop properly?

The diagram here may give a clue to what might be wrong - short circuit sensor.

You need a meter to check it, but if you are wired like this then disconnect each sensor in turn.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=rzpDCgAAQBAJ&pg=PT180&lpg=PT180&dq=marine+engine+start+stop+sounder&source=bl&ots=fBgM8xktgN&sig=_uTaw_u1W01lTWklZmS_XGe0MEo&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiwubn3wtzNAhWCOsAKHUXrC6sQ6AEIOzAE#v=onepage&q=marine%20engine%20start%20stop%20sounder&f=false

Edited by Tiggs

I suspect the start / stop sounder. Within the last hour a constant sound is coming from the instrument panel it sounds like a high pitched Morse code, I've checked for loose conections but can't find anything wrong. I have placed tape over the sounder to mufflel the sound, but what is causing it.

Any ideas please.

It's not really a start / stop sounder it's a alarm warning you on oil, temp, etc so check the gauges for oil, temp and voltage.

Edited by Robbo

Is it the same sound as when you turn the 'ignition' key to 'on' but not cranking which goes off a moment after the engine starts running?

Added - you said like morse code in your post so - and this is just a guess - it may be a damaged wire that is rubbing and giving a varying short connection. This would change the tone of the sounder as the voltage is a bit low and could also vary as the wire rubs giving the morse effect.

The wire will be from the panel to one of the senders - again guessing, but oil pressure and coolant temperature are the two that come to mind.

Edited by Chewbacka

If it is the same sound as when you first turn on it MIGHT be that the batteries are fully charged and solar charging has caused the alternator to keep on shutting down and charging. Mine does something similar and the warning lamp does not illuminate. If you think this may be the cause put a electrical load on like the water pump running. If the noise stops it probably is fully charged batteries plus solar.

Any ideas please.

You say within the last hour... is this when the engine is running?

If it is then we had a similar issue last summer. I traced the fault to our 'Photonic Universe' split battery charger. It's a cheapy model, not MPPT - but does have the ability to send a percentage of charge to two separate batteries. Ours was set to 90% leisure, 10% crank. As Tony mentions above - seems the solar was tripping the alarm.

Interestingly, I noticed that unless the cranking battery was disconnected from the solar charger, the alarm still sounded after the engine had been running a while, even if it was set to 100% leisure and 0% crank.

Its not an alarm in the conventional sense with a control box. It is just a sounder that gets earthed through one of a set of diodes depending upon which system has a fault. In this case it is "earthing" via the alternator rotor when the alternator regulator shuts down because of excess charging voltage. The diodes are there to stop (say )low oil pressure illuminating the charge warning lamp and temperature lamp.

Sorry for not relying sooner but my Internet connection hasnt been great.

Thanks everyone for your responses, I will read them all again thourally after this update.

My battery light has started flashing, the beeping is still their, I have checked for damaged cable but cannot find anything, batteries have been recently changed so should be like new.

Sorry for not relying sooner but my Internet connection hasnt been great.

Thanks everyone for your responses, I will read them all again thourally after this update.

My battery light has started flashing, the beeping is still their, I have checked for damaged cable but cannot find anything, batteries have been recently changed so should be like new.

Well at least we now know its alternator related.

Do as SG suggests and check the alternator belt for tension and condition. If that's fine then I fear its alternator off to test time unless you are using a Sterling A to B thing. If you are its anybodies guess which is playing up and it can't be EASILY disconnected like other charge controllers.

I see you have not mentioned if you have solar charging. If you do read my post 5 again.