CRT to introduce mooring strategy for its entire waterway system

GoodGurl

Featured Posts

I hope you are right about that in the future.

Having said that I was warned several years ago that things would get much worse in a just a few years and I'm still enjoying it despite the increase in control freakery.

We are clearly not the paranoid type as we have not noticed any increase in "control freakery" nor have we noticed that "things have got much worse"

What we have continued to do is enjoy our boating and travel many miles per year on the inland waterways.

We are clearly not the paranoid type as we have not noticed any increase in "control freakery" nor have we noticed that "things have got much worse"

What we have continued to do is enjoy our boating and travel many miles per year on the inland waterways.

That seems to be the case with the rivers you spend much of your time on. Maybe not so much on the canals.

...and yes, not giving a toss helps too.

I did.

Well you are very much mistaken.

I care deeply about our waterways. What I don't do is get myself wound up about non issues or get offended on other peoples behalf. That doesn't mean that I don't give a toss.

• Greenie 1

Well you are very much mistaken.

I care deeply about our waterways. What I don't do is get myself wound up about non issues or get offended on other peoples behalf. That doesn't mean that I don't give a toss.

Blimey you type quickly. :)

Well that's good to know. Anyway you called me paranoid...and you are probably right.

Those who you have spoken to who have "low impact lifestyles" and a lifestyle predicated on earning very little, and who expect everything for FREE on the grounds that they have no money.

Not sure this makes sense!

Those who expect things for free or cheap because they have a low impact lifestyle do not actually have a low impact lifestyle. They are just playing at it

• Greenie 1

I might buy a motorhome, anyone want to buy a boat with no secure future.

Crt sort yourselves out or fill the canals with soil, at least i would know whats what

I think you will find that parking a motorhome for 48hrs in a popular place for free is very difficult, and if you park in a private car park and overstay it is generally a lot more than £25.

I think that boating is still a very enjoyable and good value past time or for some a lifestyle, but as it becomes more popular it will become more restricted. But I hope more use of the canals will generate more money for repairs and maintenance etc. Time will tell.........

I think you will find that parking a motorhome for 48hrs in a popular place for free is very difficult, and if you park in a private car park and overstay it is generally a lot more than £25.

I think that boating is still a very enjoyable and good value past time or for some a lifestyle, but as it becomes more popular it will become more restricted. But I hope more use of the canals will generate more money for repairs and maintenance etc. Time will tell.........

My post was meant more in the way of how the Cart are not very good at explaining rules and regulations but they are very good at promoting worry and insecurity.

I love being a livaboard but can somone tell let me know the following ;

Is the whole canal network going to turn into a pay as you go every night ?

Blinking hope not.

Edited by Greylady2

My post was meant more in the way of how the Cart are not very good at explaining rules and regulations but they are very good at promoting worry and insecurity.

I love being a livaboard but can somone tell let me know the following ;

Is the whole canal network going to turn into a pay as you go every night ?

Blinking hope not.

I suspect that city/town centre moorings will become "pay to stay" in only the very popular places.

If you think about a car park, one parking machine probably serves a couple of hundred people per day, and so will pay for itself and raise money for the operator.

On a canal mooring where there is space for only a handful of boats it would not justify a machine unless you were paying something like £10 or more per night. No one will pay that unless it is a very desirable place such a central London or Slough (maybe not Sloughclapping.gif )

So I think for a good while yet you will be able to find nice moorings that are free in most places. But I am often wrong on my predictions.

I suspect that city/town centre moorings will become "pay to stay" in only the very popular places.

If you think about a car park, one parking machine probably serves a couple of hundred people per day, and so will pay for itself and raise money for the operator.

On a canal mooring where there is space for only a handful of boats it would not justify a machine unless you were paying something like £10 or more per night. No one will pay that unless it is a very desirable place such a central London or Slough (maybe not Slough:clapping: )

So I think for a good while yet you will be able to find nice moorings that are free in most places. But I am often wrong on my predictions.

Omg this is going to ruin boating i fear.

Thank you.

Edit 365 x £5 a night if it comes to it £1825 + £870 licence = £2695

Why dont they just get crane and turn every boater upside down to shake their pockets out at every bridge.

Edited by Greylady2
  • Greenie 1

Omg this is going to ruin boating i fear.

Thank you.

Edit 365 x £5 a night if it comes to it £1825 + £870 licence = £2695

Why dont they just get crane and turn every boater upside down to shake their pockets out at every bridge.

£5 per night - I wish.

York Marina is around £50 per night

Most BWML Marinas are £10+ per night

Coastal marinas are around £2.20 - £5 per metre so a 15 metre boat - £60 per night.

You pay for the 'services' (water electricity, wi-fi, toilets ? etc) If C&RT are going to provide 'services' to support their charging for mooring you should expect more than £5 per night.

£5 per night - I wish.

York Marina is around £50 per night

Most BWML Marinas are £10+ per night

Coastal marinas are around £2.20 - £5 per metre so a 15 metre boat - £60 per night.

You pay for the 'services' (water electricity, wi-fi, toilets ? etc) If C&RT are going to provide 'services' to support their charging for mooring you should expect more than £5 per night.

That was without our home mooring. + £2500

Edited by Greylady2

And my figures were not inclusive of our home mooring @ £2600 per annum

I fear the swipe to pay meters may become a part of the canals, this is the direction i was posting.

It would be a great great shame.

I fear the swipe to pay meters may become a part of the canals, this is the direction i was posting.

It would be a great great shame.

And I think you are catastrophising. I see no prospect whatever of pay to stay outside mega honeypots like Llangollen. It just wouldn't be economic anywhere else. Don't let the NBTA wind you up!

• Greenie 1

And I think you are catastrophising. I see no prospect whatever of pay to stay outside mega honeypots like Llangollen. It just wouldn't be economic anywhere else. Don't let the NBTA wind you up!

You know what thats music to my ears.

Cheers Bruce.

Catastrophising!!! Is that a real word?? If it isnt it should be!!

Yes it is. But I claim first use on this forum. The rest are plagiarising me! If they carry in it's all going to end in tears / disaster / end of the world / reversion to pre-Big-Bang.

Edited by nicknorman

When's the last time you went through SB? I don't see many boats on the 48h tunnel stretch so it's not as if everyone is fighting over the 'mooring resource'.

Back in the days it was 14 day, it was busy but we always found a mooring on that stretch. Now everyone seems to go for the 7 day pound. Even that has spaces when we go through.

The thing is, not all of us want to cruise every day. Many people stay 7 or 14 days in the same place on holiday.

SB is a pretty little place but seems much quiter than it used to be. I know the pubs have complained about the changes to the mooring durations.

'If it isn't broken, don't fix it' springs to mind.

Just to correct.......

Before the South East Visitor Mooring changes were made, the "tunnel" pound was already actually 2 day mooring, (though that was only signed at the Southern end, not the North end), and the "long" pound 2 locks down was actually only 24 hour mooring.

So, in its latest revision, the new SEVM regime is actually more relaxed than what it replaced, other than the issue of the £25 charges and "maximum days in a month" rules. It is, as you say, (in Summer months) 2 days at the top and 7 in the long pound. (You also now get relaxations in the winter months, which you did not before).

So the fact that is is now relatively deserted compared to what is claimed in the past is most certainly not down to the stay times being reduced, because actually the reverse is the case. I still hear people say things like "I prefer not to stop at a place where the signs threatening to charge me are in bigger letters than the ones saying how long I can stay", and that I think is part of the reason Stoke Bruerne sees less boats stopping, (and hence the museum and local pubs and restaurants probably suffer a loss of trade).

I love Stoke Bruerne, but I still insist that the SEVM initiative was not only unnecessary, but has actually proved to be a considerable own goal, particularly if South East waterways want maximum visitor numbers at the Museum, (which has also now transferred to be part of the SE remit).

From Tuscan's remarks it seems much the same applies at Foxton, a location I end up visiting far less often.

Yes it is. But I claim first use on this forum. The rest are plagiarising me! If they carry in it's all going to end in tears / disaster / end of the world / reversion to pre-Big-Bang.

Yes but your hudson will protect you so dont worry, yoghurt pot shrapnull is very very dangerous so make sure your hatch bolts are done up. :-/