Cheap boat -what am I missing?

grannykins

Featured Posts

Now I dont know what to do sad.png

Could be ply-grp composite roof, so not so bad, the butt strap is covering and sealing a join. The cabin sides look smooth, so might be Masonite clad on top of pine boards, a form of oil waterproofed hardboard, smooth side out.

Now I dont know what to do sad.png

Ask the questions about leaks. Maybe buy it anyway.

Wooden tops are wonderful boats, oozing character and smelling of wood.

I WANT ONE!

P.S. Leaks aren't the end of the world. I lived for three years on a leaky wooden top. Just buy some buckets!

(Far better than a leaky bottom, cue more sniggering.)

Nor is it expensive, don't forget.

I think there is every chance you'll live on it for 20 years and repeatedly post here telling everyone how wooden tops are not the problem steel top owners keep saying they are.

I know a woodentop Josher with a roll of flooring vinyl nailed along the roof. Has worked fine keeping the rain out for twenty years now. The simple solutions are the best.

• Greenie 1

The only thing I would worry about is the underwater condition, at that age its probably 1/4" bottom, 3/16" sides, nothing wrong with that but if the bottom is original and never painted its probably corroded, could be insulated with polystyrene sheets as was common then and could be a sod to remove for welding. BUT after doing the work, and there could be quite a bit, you have a pretty good boat. You need to find someone who's been around boats for a while and built or repaired a few to identity the likely extent of the task.

The majority of replies to this thread are folks who are not afraid to wield a hammer - do their own major work.

Most questions come from folks who have no intention doing that or even have no concept of what is required.

Many judge the boat from it's interior - colour / style / perceived utility for their imagined need.

If our esteemed questioner fits some of the above comments - then please don't buy it.

If a liveaboard / stay aboard for lengths of time then for me the engine would be an issue for me as (at least) I have an electric fridge....

Air cooled Listers are incredibly noisy and difficult to set up a practical method of charging reasonably sized battery banks.

Apologies for being a misery.......

We have both recently done the RCR engine maintenance course, as we intend doing all our own servicing etc. They didnt cover the Lister SR3, as no one on the course had one. Didnt realise it was an air cooled engine.

Is it really that bad at charging the batteries? We do intend to install a reasonable amount of solar too. Definitely will need to run a fridge - can a Lister not even run a fridge?

We have both recently done the RCR engine maintenance course, as we intend doing all our own servicing etc. They didnt cover the Lister SR3, as no one on the course had one. Didnt realise it was an air cooled engine.

Is it really that bad at charging the batteries? We do intend to install a reasonable amount of solar too. Definitely will need to run a fridge - can a Lister not even run a fridge?

A Lister will run a fridge. An SR3 is the right engine for that boat. Spares and maintenance items are readily available for Sr3s

Go and see the boat - you may hate it

Richard

No trouble charging a large bank of batteries with an SR3, as long as it has the large diameter alternator drive pulley on the camshaft. There should be lots of room to fit a 70 or 90amp alternator or even two alternators, 'which it might already have', with a bit of simple adaption.

Edited by bizzard

Thank you so much for everybodys comments and help.

Panicking a bit now. What kind of paperwork should we be signing if we leave a deposit whilst waiting for a survey? If we like it and can knock some off the price, do we still go for a survey?

Half of me hopes we don't like it.

Thank you so much for everybodys comments and help.

Panicking a bit now. What kind of paperwork should we be signing if we leave a deposit whilst waiting for a survey? If we like it and can knock some off the price, do we still go for a survey?

Half of me hopes we don't like it.

You don't have to do anything today. In fact, decide not to. Go and see the boat and see if you like it - it's a very subjective thing that. If you do like it, say you'll be in touch. Leave, then discuss it together. If you want to go ahead, phone up and make an offer. Only after that think about deposits and paperwork

Richard

Edited by RLWP