When the Llangollen is quiet....

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

The plan this year was to get to the Llangollen before it got busy but, predictably, we were slower than planned. Nevertheless, we got to Hurleston in the third week of May and the canal was delightful. We're still here now, in the second week of June and the hireboats are hunting in packs.

So if you're planning a quiet Llangollen trip, that's what you need to know.

MP.

I have no personal experience of the Llangollen, but i suspect quite a few of the hire boats around would have been doing the Cheshire Ring or Macc. I've certainly seen a lot of hire boats around the Four Counties this week & the Caldon last week, who when getting into conversation with them informed me that they should have been doing the Cheshire Ring.

I'm sure the Llangollen does naturally start to get busy at this time of year, but it will be interesting to see if you think the boat numbers drop once the Macc has been open for a week or so.

We're still here now, in the second week of June and the hireboats are hunting in packs.

Ah, then we passed you earlier this afternoon. Had to moor under some trees at Baddest Gorse in the end for a bit of respite from the glorious sunshine! Pretty quiet down this end though, so I'm hoping my plan to be here now and at the other end at the weekend when the hire fleets are down here handing over proves to be a good one.

Edited to add that it's Baddesley Gorse and not Baddest Gorse as autocorrect would have you believe.

Edited by Sea Dog

The plan this year was to get to the Llangollen before it got busy but, predictably, we were slower than planned. Nevertheless, we got to Hurleston in the third week of May and the canal was delightful. We're still here now, in the second week of June and the hireboats are hunting in packs.

MP.

You passed by the end of the Ellesmere Arm just after we moored today.

MP.

Go down the Monty and enter a completely different world

• Greenie 1

i second this, i was on the Llan at the end of april and it was deadly quiet :) then went on the monty and it's pure heaven.

Very tempted, but Nicholsons says the draft limit is 2' and we're 2'10". Mind you, the limit on the Llangollen to Trevor is 2'3" and we've managed fine.

Has anyone taken a deep-ish boat onto the Monty?

Apologies to anyone we should have recognised and sailed straight past.

MP.

Very tempted, but Nicholsons says the draft limit is 2' and we're 2'10". Mind you, the limit on the Llangollen to Trevor is 2'3" and we've managed fine.

Apologies to anyone we should have recognised and sailed straight past.

MP.

Went on it in 2010 at 2ft 6inches with no problems. Booked to go again tomorrow.

Its someyears ago, but Fulbourne, drawing 3ft, has done the Mont with no problems of depth. I can't imagine a restored canal would be built to less depth than that.