Moving a stove

Featured Posts

Hello.

I have a stove which is pretty rusty and old and so needs replacing. It is in a really annoying place and so want to move the new smaller one to the corner of the room (bow)

This will mean moving the old one and making good the flue hole inside and out and making a new hole in the boat....which is the bit i dont fancy.

I am guessing this is a big job. Has anyone here done this and was it a major headache / wallet ache?

Thank you

Can i ask please ....

Whereabouts is this really annoying place where current stove is ?

My stove is in a really annoying place too ........ its exactly where you want to move yours to !

If your stove is halfway down the boat then i would humbly suggest that you leave it exactly where it is and spend a winter onboard before making a decision to move it . From a position midway down the length of the boat it stands more chance of heating both ends .

I would love to move mine from beside the bow doors to further down the boat but its not possible without major hassle and so i 'll just leave it as it is .

My next boat will most definately not have a stove by the bow . That said , it does a good job so no complaints as such but IDEALLY i'd prefer it elsewhere .

Think well before commiting to move it

cheers

Making a new hole in the roof, I suggest is actually the easy bit, and can be done by a DIYer with just a decent jig saw and the right blades. (O.K., before the pedants step in...... and a drill to make an initial small hole for the jig saw blade!)

Making good an existing hole in the roof is a much harder job, if you are to do it in a tidy way. I'm assuming welding it up, and trying to make it look flat, rather than just bodging a plate over it. Also you may have quite a lot to do to make good the interior.

If your current stove is properly installed you are likely to have large areas of heat board and tiles and maybe hearth to strip out as well, all of which will need an equivalent installed at the new location.

I would strongly echo Chubby's comments. A stove located part way along a cabin with no other heating will heat the boat far more evenly than one at a cabin extremity. Like chubby, if I could have easily relocated a stove AWAY from the end of our last boat (50 foot trad), I would have done.

Moving a stove is surprisingly expensive even for DIY.

Assuming none of the existing stuff can be reused then roughly it will cost you at least a couple of hundred quid for the hearth and back board and tiles etc.

A new flue will be about £500. And then the repairs to the previous location.

These are very approx costs for the bits, nothing for labour.

The regs also require certain clearances which may incur further trouble moving cupboards etc. These clearances can be reduced with the use of special thermal boards (expensive).

I would leave well alone until you are certain you want to move it, and where to.

Ok you guys. Lots of good advice there. I think the best advice is dont touch anything for a year and then work out what you need and what you can afford!!!!! Oh and dont move the darn stove ? my guest chair will have to stay in storage

Ok you guys. Lots of good advice there. I think the best advice is dont touch anything for a year and then work out what you need and what you can afford!!!!! Oh and dont move the darn stove my guest chair will have to stay in storage

Why not put the guest chair in the front corner? smile.png

Moving a stove is surprisingly expensive even for DIY.

Assuming none of the existing stuff can be reused then roughly it will cost you at least a couple of hundred quid for the hearth and back board and tiles etc.

A new flue will be about £500. And then the repairs to the previous location.

These are very approx costs for the bits, nothing for labour.

The regs also require certain clearances which may incur further trouble moving cupboards etc. These clearances can be reduced with the use of special thermal boards (expensive).

I would leave well alone until you are certain you want to move it, and where to.

I am nor sure where that figure came from. a flue pipe and coller should not coat more than £100 from any larger chandlery, Limekiln sell a complete kit including chimney and cowl for £105

put a mushroom vent at that location (even a dummy one). simples.

Even if you can cover the main hole, most cast chimney collars rely on two extra holes through the roof to hold them on. It would need to be an unusually large mushroom vent to cover everything.

Also when you remove a collar you often reveal the worst pitting in the steel you will find anywhere on the entire boat. Not always of course, but I think certainly often.

Even if you can cover the main hole, most cast chimney collars rely on two extra holes through the roof to hold them on. It would need to be an unusually large mushroom vent to cover everything.

Also when you remove a collar you often reveal the worst pitting in the steel you will find anywhere on the entire boat. Not always of course, but I think certainly often.

use your imagination and lateral thinking - there is always a neat solution if you think long enough.

I am nor sure where that figure came from. a flue pipe and coller should not coat more than £100 from any larger chandlery, Limekiln sell a complete kit including chimney and cowl for £105

Just examples of the complete double wall kit required to meet the (advisory for boats) regulations -

Morso Narrowboat straight flue kit from Ely boat chandlers = £529

Morso Flue Kit Offset Version from Budget chandlery = £604

Canal Boat Stove Fitting Kit from Salamander = £585

Just examples of the complete double wall kit required to meet the (advisory for boats) regulations -

Morso Narrowboat straight flue kit from Ely boat chandlers = £529

Morso Flue Kit Offset Version from Budget chandlery = £604

Canal Boat Stove Fitting Kit from Salamander = £585

Advisory

I really don't want a double skinned flue in the room, it wastes so much heating. Never in all the years of living onboard did I burn myself on a flue.

I thought the purpose of a double-walled flue is to improve the draw, not to prevent burns on contact?

Edited by Sir Percy

I thought the purpose of a double-walled flue is to improve the draw, not to prevent burns on contact?

Quite possibly, but I belive that only the external chimney requires a double skin to do that, as the air temperature poutside the boat will cool it more quickly.

Quite possibly, but I belive that only the external chimney requires a double skin to do that, as the air temperature poutside the boat will cool it more quickly.

The double skin also stop the condensation of coal tars that would otherwise run down the collar and over the roof and paintwork. AsDave Moore and many others will attest, this ruins the paint.

There is, imo, no need to help the draw on a narrowboat flue, as it is so short. If it does need help, then something is badly wrong and needs sorting out.