Bedroom refit questions

Featured Posts

Hello

We have a boat with the bedroom at the stern and the real shame is that the Calorifier (sp) has been put into the wardrobe.cloud9.gif

We are going to be live-a-aboards and space is a premium so think we will need to put some money aside for a refit to squeeze in extra storage.

I suspect the "poo tank" is under the fixed 4ft bed (Which we want to remove - I pray its not "welded in") so this will open up more space for a 5ft cross bed (Extending type - Hubby is 6ft so it might just work...) which hopefully will give us more space to fit in a full height skinny cupboard beside the bed and put some baskets underneath the bed, in addition to the existing cupboards going up the stairwell.construction.gif

My questions

1) Does anyone know of a carpenter in Medway who is able to do this kind of thing

2) Does anyone have any photos of something similar you have managed in your boat

3) How much did it set you back (Not talking solid oak here!!!)

Thanks muchly

I have a cross bed with the black water tank under. With the mattress on top makes the sleeping surface close to the gunnel.

I am 5' 10" and can only just fit, at 6' I think he will struggle to lie straight out, unless you can keep the bed very low down.

Note - Before I built the cross bed, I put some stuff across the bed at home to see if I could cope with the reduced length.

Though I am pleased with my cross bed, I would find it more comfortable if I were a little shorter. That said it is a good use of space and the dog has his night bed under ours, so do not regret having a cross bed.

As to cost, I did it myself, so not a lot.

What you are suggesting was done to our boat some time prior to us purchasing it.

It involved :

removing pump out tank

making cross bed

sourcing special custom built sprung 2-piece mattress (very comfortable)

making wardrobe full height (split into two horizontally) for storage of two folding bikes

making 'good' floors and walls

fitting cassette toilet into bathroom

and a few 'fiddly bits'

Work was done by a 'well known' boatyard in the South Midlands

The invoices show it was something over £11,000 (materials & labour)

Edit to add :

I am 6 foot and although the bed was not 'over-long' I could lay 'straight out' by putting toes under the Gunwhale. - look at your bed height carefully. The slightest 'curling up' at the knees (as I usually sleep) meant that the width was absolutely no problem.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Is there any mileage in the idea of perhaps removing the waste tank to create space & fit a horizontal calorifier under the bed , which will use some of that gained space but then u can have your full height wardrobes / cupboards .

Then , instead of a cross bed you could perhaps try to extend your existing bed widthways by designing a sort of " bolster " cushion mattress type thing which would fit under the gunwhale , the same length as the existing mattress ? The bed would need alterations to allow some sort of sliding extension ( like some saloon fixed seating does ) . Or a strong gate leg type extension . I m sure some bespoke mattress firm out there could make such a thing , maybe 18 inches wide . Or use some foam to do it yourself ??? .

The " bolster " can then sit on top of the matress , push the extension back in when cruising ?

Just a thought , shoot it down in flames by all means but could be cheaper , easier & more suitable for someone of 6 foot & could be altogether less hassle

cheers

Edited by chubby

Is there any mileage in the idea of perhaps removing the waste tank to create space & fit a horizontal calorifier under the bed , which will use some of that gained space but then u can have your full height wardrobes / cupboards .

Then , instead of a cross bed you could perhaps try to extend your existing bed widthways by designing a sort of " bolster " cushion mattress type thing which would fit under the gunwhale , the same length as the existing mattress ? The bed would need alterations to allow some sort of sliding extension ( like some saloon fixed seating does ) . Or a strong gate leg type extension . I m sure some bespoke mattress firm out there could make such a thing , maybe 18 inches wide . Or use some foam to do it yourself ??? .

The " bolster " can then sit on top of the matress , push the extension back in when cruising ?

Just a thought , shoot it down in flames by all means but could be cheaper , easier & more suitable for someone of 6 foot & could be altogether less hassle

cheers

Hey this seems like a brilliant idea. I just assumed the Calorifier had to be a standing up one! I guess they only put there due to the waste tank. Duhhhh I never thought of that LOL

Thanks so much

Oh thanks to everyone else too as I am still thinking about the cross bed as they do look lovely and wide biggrin.png

Second question......can you use the Calorifier that's in there or would we need to buy a horizontal one? I guess we could sell the old one (it's actually only 2 years old and hardly used!) and replace?

Hey this seems like a brilliant idea. I just assumed the Calorifier had to be a standing up one! I guess they only put there due to the waste tank. Duhhhh I never thought of that LOL

Thanks so muchOh thanks to everyone else too as I am still thinking about the cross bed as they do look lovely and wide :D

Second question......can you use the Calorifier that's in there or would we need to buy a horizontal one? I guess we could sell the old one (it's actually only 2 years old and hardly used!) and replace?

Sadly horizontal calorifiers are not the same as vertical ones, so you can't just tip it on its side.

Even if you do choose a cross bed it may still be worth considering a horizontal calorifier underneath so you get your full height cupboards . If your current calorifier is in a cupboard already then you can just alter the empty space and no need for new cupboards .

I m not sure how many firms make horizontal tanks . One firm who do is Surejust / Surecal . They aren t cheap but they are a respected firm . I bought mine( upright type ) from them & found them helpful when i needed help .

You may need to source a bespoke folding matress for a crossbed , possibly pricey but i think if you decide on a horizontal tank once the pumpout tanks removed then you should be able to alter your bed type without too much hassle .

cheers

We have a 4 foot 6 inch wide cross bed in a boatmans cabin. Its low enough to sleep head and feet below the gunwales. The mattress is older version of this one http://www.bestpricebeds.co.uk/relaxsan-ortho-soft-mattress-pid1113.htmlwhich we had cut and covered to fit. I am about 5' 11" and I just fit.

You lot are so knowledgeable. Thanks so much I have lots to think about :o)

Sadly horizontal calorifiers are not the same as vertical ones, so you can't just tip it on its side.

I did not think I would be that lucky. it's costing me a fortune happy.png

If you can get a 58' boat through a 57' lock at an angle, can you not get a 6' bloke into a 5'11" bed at a slight angle?

Try it. try sleeping on a bed where your head is touching one end and the soles of your feet on the other, OK for a bit but you will soon be looking to go corner to corner.