Python drive verses centa flex coulpling.

Featured Posts

Morning folks,

can I ask for opinions please on whether to spend the extra 800 quid on the python drive or just stick with the centa flex coupling? - I know it's not an apples and apples situation, but money really is tight and there's about 800 quid in it on the new boat.

If you were as skint as us, would you spend the extra or use the saving to pay for a hospital silencer and 12 fridge freezer?

Centaflex has been just fine for us in both our boats, that's 12 years boating, the first six CC'ing. As long as your builder is competent to set up the engine alignment, you should be fine.

Mind you, 12 fridges seems a bit over the top...

We have a centaflex coupling and it has worked just fine for us for over 10 years (3000 hrs running)

As for spending priorities solar panels would be high on my list.

Top Cat

Edited by Top cat

Centaflex has been just fine for us in both our boats, that's 12 years boating, the first six CC'ing. As long as your builder is competent to set up the engine alignment, you should be fine.

Mind you, 12 fridges seems a bit over the top...

lol - on reflection, we'll just have the 1 12v one ;-) frusty.gif ... it was early and I was up worrying as I just rememberd I forgot to "off hire" a cherry picker yesterday from a plant which might mean another weeks hire charge.... NOT a lot you can do about it at that tie of day I admit!.

Thanks for the centaflex vote though.

cheers TC - I've already funded/budgeted for the solar panels in the "fit out fund" ... I'm just tidying up the 'extras' list before we visit the yard again this morning.

Decision made to go for the centa, contract amended this morning... spent the saving on the hospital silencer and left a few hundred in the bank. Mid October hand over looking promising too so things are looking up now.

clapping.gif

We have had a Python drive for the last 9 years. It seems to do what it is supposed to do. I was a bit disappointed that the thrust bearing gave up after about 1,500 hours. Not an easy job to replace the bearing in its housing(replaced the origional bearing with a better quality one). Personaly, I would be happier if it had a grease nipple. It does remove prop thrust from the gearbox and engine mounts.

The hospital silencer is a waste of money since it only reduces the exhaust sound not the diesel clatter which is what you can really hear. Engine noise can be absorbed or contained in the engine space, the exhaust note is not an issue.

The hospital silencer is a waste of money since it only reduces the exhaust sound not the diesel clatter which is what you can really hear. Engine noise can be absorbed or contained in the engine space, the exhaust note is not an issue.

except that for other canal users, a hospital silencer renders your boat almost inaudible TO THEM.

when I had my boat in the yard, and tested my Isuzu 42, I could only just hear the exhaust by putting my ear near the outlet.

A passing boater shouted out to me that I had left my ignition on. I thought it a bit odd, how else could I be running my engine to charge my batteries? Then it dawned on me - he hadn't realised that my engine was on! I like my hospital silencer.

We have had a Python drive for the last 9 years. It seems to do what it is supposed to do. I was a bit disappointed that the thrust bearing gave up after about 1,500 hours. Not an easy job to replace the bearing in its housing(replaced the origional bearing with a better quality one). Personaly, I would be happier if it had a grease nipple. It does remove prop thrust from the gearbox and engine mounts.

1,500 hours is pretty poor, should be a grease nipple on it somewhere, underneath it maybe? perhaps just a drilled and tapped hole with no nipple?

Sorry I have to disagree, we fitted a hospital silencer to Grace about a year ago and the difference in the noise level, is most marked. This is especially noticeable in a lock or tunnel.

But to realise the benefit you do have to deal with other sources of noise first. Prior to fitting the new silencer I fitted sound absorbent panels to the underside of the deck boards and made sure nothing was rattling. Having a semitrad helps as the engine is in its own compartment. Maybe its not worth it if you have a rattly old BMC badly installed in a trad or an air cooled Buhk banging away but for a well installed modern engine I felt itvwas money well spent.

And its not just me on the tiller who benefits, noise in the cabin and outside is reduced too. We have been asked by passers by if we are electrically powered on several occasions.

Top Cat

Edited by Top cat

We have a centreflex. It's fine but it does require a well-aligned engine to give smoothness. When we took delivery of our boat it seemed smooth and fine but after I spent a day adjusting the engine position it was super-smooth! With a Python the alignment is less critical but you are spending a lot of money on laziness! Yes the python takes the thrust but modern engines/gearboxes are designed to be quite happy taking the thrust.

Hospital silencer - well worth it in my opinion. I am routinely amazed by some boats we pass that are incredibly noisy. I suppose the occupants are deaf and don't notice. Perhaps they weren't deaf when they bought the boat but they certainly are now...