Lister SW2A. 23

Creel

Featured Posts

Hi new to the site have been and introduced my self . so I will get to the point .I have got a

23ft taymar creel boat as a project sound hull needs a bit of wood work and paint . it has a Lister Sw2A water cooled engine . The jabsco water pump has been removed and a electric pump fitted for cooling has any one done this mod or seen it done all so I cannot find any information on my engine I know it is 15hp any one know where I could get a manual for it

Cheers Neil

I have not heard of a Lister SWA2 engine, and I can't immediately find a match by Goiogling.

Are you sure that you have the exact type correct?

The STW2 would be about 15BHP, if it were set up to run at 1,800 RPM maximum.

Here is a workshop manual for the ST range, for example.

Linky

The SW range of engines was made by Lister's from 1969 to 1976 and is a modified SR block to allow it to be water cooled, They were only offered in either single or twin versions

The Jabsco pump IIRC is now obsolete BUT there was an alternative pump available which only need ed a change of outlet ports to be useable

Richard will have a copy of the workshop manual in stock I am sure .. they are a great engine we fitted one into our 35ft tug HAYLEY which is still going well

Chris

Edited by Chris-B

Thanks for the replys will get some pics of engine on . This engine has not been run for three years I can turn it over by hand when it is decompressed and the injectors are working .What do I need to do to recommission it .

The Lister SW engines were the water-cooled equivalent of the air-cooled SR series. You may get some help therefore from the SR workshop manual download here .

The A23 suffix suggests an anti-clockwise rotation version built in (1950 + 23) 1973.

Bore and stroke 3.5" - 15.5hp @ 2500 rpm - same as SR2.

Thanks for the replys will get some pics of engine on . This engine has not been run for three years I can turn it over by hand when it is decompressed and the injectors are working .What do I need to do to recommission it .

Check that that electric water pump works and that any water circuit stop cock is open. Check coolant level. Make sure it has sufficient clean oil in it and the fuels clean and whirl it over for 1/2 minute decompressed to circulate oil and get oil pressure up and fling the decompressor levers over and it'll probably start right away then check coolant water circulation.

Yes, sorry all, I got the model designation mixed up somehow - my mistake :blush: - I do know what an SW2 is.

I would have thought to get 15BHP it must be set up to run at a higher top speed than a typical marine SR2, as these are usually only quoted at 13HP, aren't they?

Yes, sorry all, I got the model designation mixed up somehow - my mistake blush.png - I do know what an SW2 is.

I would have thought to get 15BHP it must be set up to run at a higher top speed than a typical marine SR2, as these are usually only quoted at 13HP, aren't they?

Have a look at this useful listing Alan.

Yes, I think the SRs are usually quoted as emitting 6.5 h.p.per cylinder. Mr. 'eck quotes the h.p.at 2,500 r.p.m. which does in deed sound fast for an engine of that type.

Here are pics of my engine .got it running today.

Hoorah!

I had a SW2 in our first boat (36 ft Springer). Good engine, albeit very noisy. It had the Listet mechanical box.

We did many miles with it, over 5 years, including the Thames tideway and the whole of the Severn.

The only problem I had was failure of the felt oil seal behind the flywheel. It took about 3 goes to fix so I got real good at box and flywheel removal.

N