Keeping Dry

aceware

Featured Posts

If you wear overtrousers be careful that they are properly secured. Trying to jump across lock gates can be awkward if you discover that you can't separate your legs because your trousers have descended slightly. DAMHIK.

Over the head as opposed to zip-front stuff can be a pain.

I wear a boilersuit with a windproof jacket & trousers over the top with a waterproof top & trousers over that, removing layers as the weather changes. You can be hot, cold, wet and dry, easily within a single hour, and even quicker if you have to work locks.

The boilersuit is excellent for those of us of a hernia age, the trouser belt is the invention of the devil and is specially designed to force parts of your body into places they are not meant to go.

A sunhat ie broad brimmed is good for when the sun is low, and sunglasses are sometimes essential.

I have never had to get my wellies out yet, if the towpath is boggy I just wash my trainers later.

I use two pairs of gloves, one inside the other, with the inner pair being waterproof.

I am thinking about a hat that protects me from the clouds of insects that dive into your nose, ears and eyes, at certain times of the year, ie now, but I haven't made any progress on that.

I think I will just add the word "Religion" to this post to see if I can get it locked. Anything for a bit of fun.

"Religion"

All good stuff, but I nominate this post for a chutzpah award, advising an Aussie of the need for a sunhat...

Mine is to don waterproofs, boots and hat. The best bit of boating in the rain is no-one bothers you. Cabin crew stay inside with the doors shut and you have the canal to yourself

A big thunderstorm is even better, one I experienced at Thrupp is one of my best boating memories

Richard

As is mine, early morning massive thunderstorm near frankton junction, just me in the middle of all that

Have you decided what sort of boat you are hiring?

A Cruiser stern gives you a large sociable outdoor space, but it is much more exposed to the weather, especially when the steerer is out there alone with the rest of the crew taking shelter inside.

A Trad stern enables you to shut the stern doors behind you, and draw up the slide (hatch) in front of you so that your bottom half stays warm and dry. A few trad sterns have hatches which are large enough that two of you can stand in there, but other wise they are less sociable spaces - you don't want anyone else standing on the stern deck while you are going along as any one in the arc of the tiller is at risk of being swept off in the (rare) event of a mishap. So any crew with you end up standing on the gunwales alongside the cabin or sitting on the roof.

A Semitrad stern is something of a halfway house - room for two or more crew, but only partially sheltered from the weather.

Hi fellow sandgroper, welcome to this great forum. We have hired six times and only once (Napton Nsrrowboats) did the hire company supply wet weather gear.Last year I bought a drizabone before we did the Cheshire Ring and it sure came in handy. A good umbrella is also essential. You may also get a shock, in 2010 we bought two items that we never thought we would buy in the UK, sunscreen and a hat. It was bloody hot for a couple of days, mind you not Feb 2016 Perth hot. Wish you all the best on your holiday you are going to love it. We love it so much we have bought our own boat.

Harley

Have you decided what sort of boat you are hiring?

A Cruiser stern gives you a large sociable outdoor space, but it is much more exposed to the weather, especially when the steerer is out there alone with the rest of the crew taking shelter inside.

A Trad stern enables you to shut the stern doors behind you, and draw up the slide (hatch) in front of you so that your bottom half stays warm and dry. A few trad sterns have hatches which are large enough that two of you can stand in there, but other wise they are less sociable spaces - you don't want anyone else standing on the stern deck while you are going along as any one in the arc of the tiller is at risk of being swept off in the (rare) event of a mishap. So any crew with you end up standing on the gunwales alongside the cabin or sitting on the roof.

A Semitrad stern is something of a halfway house - room for two or more crew, but only partially sheltered from the weather.

I was contemplating hiring from Black Prince - from my understanding these are traditional ?

Main reason - my wife bought me "Britain's Best Canals" with John Sergeant and this was the company he was using (I guess sponsorship does work)

Hi fellow sandgroper, welcome to this great forum. We have hired six times and only once (Napton Nsrrowboats) did the hire company supply wet weather gear.Last year I bought a drizabone before we did the Cheshire Ring and it sure came in handy. A good umbrella is also essential. You may also get a shock, in 2010 we bought two items that we never thought we would buy in the UK, sunscreen and a hat. It was bloody hot for a couple of days, mind you not Feb 2016 Perth hot. Wish you all the best on your holiday you are going to love it. We love it so much we have bought our own boat.

Harley

Thanks for the welcome :-)

Having my own boat is my ultimate fantasy - well done :-)

I was contemplating hiring from Black Prince - from my understanding these are traditional ?

Main reason - my wife bought me "Britain's Best Canals" with John Sergeant and this was the company he was using (I guess sponsorship does work)

Thanks for the welcome :-)

Having my own boat is my ultimate fantasy - well done :-)

I think you will find they are cruiser sterned

http://www.black-prince.com/canal_boats/

Edited by ditchcrawler

Many thanks for all the responses.

The Dickies looks like a good one stop solution.

Any more suggestions very much welcomed.

Thanks

Tony

Until someone needs the loo biggrin.png

I don't think you can ever stay completely dry but I'm currently using a (very) cheap poncho and waterproof trousers quite effectively

I agree that September should not see continuous rain and that waterproof jacket and trousers is the way to go for the OP. But since the topic's been raised, I thought I should mention that we have started using these: http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/product/WP7004-dickies-dartmouth-coverall

They've kept us dry in seriously wet conditions and have the advantage of no gap in the middle when working locks. Dickies kit in general is hard wearing and good value, we find.

No connection to the firm, just satisfied customers.

I prefer this on my saily boat

http://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-floatation-suit-630054?colcode=63005457&src=google&gclid=CJC7hpTe4MsCFdYK0wodTV8AeA&gclsrc=aw.ds