new to boating..

annie40

Featured Posts

hi ive just brought a mooring that ive got to rebuild with my husband were both ill and have done this to give ourselves soething to do.weve had boats before but only on the grand union ,but now weve moved so were on the river arun...can anyone tell me if i can motor my boat from the arun through to the grand union? also does anyone know how to build a mooring on a fast running river of 6 knots...im thinking scaffold poles as the wood is rotten.at the moment i have no way of getting onto the water as the stairs have collapsed!!

hi ive just brought a mooring that ive got to rebuild with my husband were both ill and have done this to give ourselves soething to do.weve had boats before but only on the grand union ,but now weve moved so were on the river arun...can anyone tell me if i can motor my boat from the arun through to the grand union? also does anyone know how to build a mooring on a fast running river of 6 knots...im thinking scaffold poles as the wood is rotten.at the moment i have no way of getting onto the water as the stairs have collapsed!!

I'm afraid I simply wouldn't do it. Have you looked into this current business?

You will have to wait until the Wey & Arun canal has been restored before you can boat directly to the GU. Should be finished sometime this century.

Sorry, don't know the best way to rebuild your mooring.

It is difficult to make an informed comment without seeing the mooring and knowing what kind of boat it is to be using it. I am quite often in your area on my motorcycle if you would like me to drop by.

Ian.

While you're there, check out that 6kt current.

I would suggest you would be best with 2 proper steel piles (Tubular) driven into the river bed and the pontoon mounted between them in collars so that it floats up and down with the tide, then form a bridge from the river bank to it. This is how they are done on the river Blyth in Southwold harbour. The tide there is just about she same! Try googling Southwold harbour and you may get some photos. It would be a professional job though. Cheers. Mick

A firemans pole to go down and a bucket and counter weight over a pulley to go up.

Bizzard maybe you could go down and give Annie an estimate of building it, once it's built can we have a video of it in use.

AY UP !

Pulls a lever releasing a large blue bucket of broken bricks 20ft up.

Your funny Bizzard I like your posts. Hehe

Annie all the best with your Pontoon. ☺

Edited by GreyLady

I've seen the River Arun at Arundel and it looked pretty tame. But then at Littlehampton it'll be tidal and maybe you could get 6 knots when the tide's halfway out and there's been some rain. Maybe it would help if you do some of the construction work at low or high tide when the water is slack? In your shoes I think I'd be looking to the professionals to put in a strong basic structure, then make the pontoon and ramp myself.

What sort of a boat do you have? If it's seaworthy enough you could sneak round the coast into the Thames in stages when you get a weather window. I recommend you have a good read of this site:

http://www.weyandarun.co.uk/index.php

Have you looked at Timmy & Pru's lark up the Arun & Wey?

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/great-canal-journeys/episode-guide

London's Lost Route to the Sea Timothy and Prunella go in search of London's lost canal route from Teddington, through Surrey and Sussex, and all the way to the sea at Littlehampton

Youtube is 'down' here in Finland at the moment so I can't post the video link direct, but I watched it on Youtube myself 3 weeks ago.

annie40 - an idea would be to get all capable and willing folk here on Canalworld to come down to your place and build a proper landing for you. Then they could take photos and post them on here and show what a clever lot they are!

If your motor boat is small, chuck it on a truck and dump it in the Wey Canal (or whatever it's called) and start from there. The link from Arundel to higher up isn't navigable by boat. Remember there's a speed limit for motor boats of 40mph on the Grand Union.

Ah thanks for that.I watched it....I remember I did record it but never got round to seeing it....very interesting. My boat is a Shetland family four but I've been offered a 23 foot thing!! I think I may take down the steps take the gate down as its only being held on with a sliver of wood and rebuild on the right.the pontoon has 6 plastic barrels its extremely high in the water so I'm thinking of taking apart the pontoon and making it wider and longer to make it stable..I'm not scared of doing the job but get very tired doing it...