Morse Cabels Replacement

Featured Posts

Our boat is 12 years old. One cable snapped at 8 years and I replaced the other at the same time.

The route of the cables is not very good but nothing can be done about that. What sort of time frame should I be looking at, or is it "how long is a bit of string"?

String, I would say. So much depends on the installation since tight bends / poor alignment and water ingress/corrosion are the enemies, plus the condition of what it is actually moving. And trying to put it in calendar time is fairly pointless since it will depend dramatically on holiday boat used a fortnight a year vs hire boat used hard every day, or something in between.

The only thing to say about oil is that it is not a good idea to put oil down cables that have a nylon liner. Unnecessary, and the oil can cause the nylon to swell and make the cable stiff. We have a trad stern so the cables are "inside" for their whole length and I have never lubricated them.

I regularly let oil run into the cables and spray wd40 all over the rear of the control arm. Eleven years, same cables operating smoothly. Perhaps the spare I've had from day one will never get used.

I don't think it's the oil that has saved you. It's the fact the old one knows you have a spare.

Why does 3 in 1 oil stink after a few months? I am reluctant to use it because of this.

It tends to absorb surrounding stinks and re-emit them, like storing jelly in a fridge with a raw onion, the jelly will absorb the onion stink.

Which oil do use, Valrene? 3 in 1 sounds obvious to me, but then I've only had a boat for 6 months so am very definitely still in the lots to learn phase!

Same stuff that goes in engine. As I dribble it into cable casing I move lever back and forth. Being semi trad the weather gets to control lever so a good regular spray of wd40 over mechanism as well keeps it all working smooth.

I don't think it's the oil that has saved you. It's the fact the old one knows you have a spare.

Perhaps an idea to tow a spare boat then. Might guarantee problem free boating.

Being as on most boats the gear and throttle cables are the same I always used to carry a spare. Much easier with speed wheel and gear rod.

You carry a spare speed wheel and gear rod?

Where you a scout by any chance? :)

Being as on most boats the gear and throttle cables are the same I always used to carry a spare. Much easier with speed wheel and gear rod.

On mine gear is shorter than throttle so carry longest as spare. If gear cable goes longer can be routed to work fine.