Another cilling on the Middlewich Branch (Cholmondeston Lock)

Theo

Featured Posts

I've only done Maureen's lock once, and the thing that struck me was all the stress and bad temper going on there, as other boaters tried to hurry us through.

It's not as though we were being slow, more that we were not quite as fast as the military thought we ought to have been, there only being two of us....

Must be the norm in that area. A few years ago whilst coming up the last of the three middle locks, we had a near miss caused by an agitated dick-brain opening a paddle fully as I was closing the bottom gates. The front fender caught under the wooden top cill board and with the lock filling quickly I shouted to shut it back down. With no response I had the run the length of the lock across the gate bridge and push the daft sod out of the way so I could drop the paddle before the well deck filled.

He justified his action as we were taking too long. We were, mainly because the pound below the lock was so low we had grounded and, with the bottom gates open, I'd had to flush water through the lock to get moving again. At that stage he did shout to tell me I had opened the wrong paddle, which should have alerted me that we were dealing with Mr I'm-in-a-hurry-and-a-bit-stupid who obviously had no understanding of the situation.

The sad bit is since then I tell anyone with a windlass near the opposite end of a lock to touch nothing unless I ask. Doesn't suit many but who can you trust?

Must be the norm in that area. A few years ago whilst coming up the last of the three middle locks, we had a near miss caused by an agitated dick-brain opening a paddle fully as I was closing the bottom gates. The front fender caught under the wooden top cill board and with the lock filling quickly I shouted to shut it back down. With no response I had the run the length of the lock across the gate bridge and push the daft sod out of the way so I could drop the paddle before the well deck filled.

He justified his action as we were taking too long. We were, mainly because the pound below the lock was so low we had grounded and, with the bottom gates open, I'd had to flush water through the lock to get moving again. At that stage he did shout to tell me I had opened the wrong paddle, which should have alerted me that we were dealing with Mr I'm-in-a-hurry-and-a-bit-stupid who obviously had no understanding of the situation.

The sad bit is since then I tell anyone with a windlass near the opposite end of a lock to touch nothing unless I ask. Doesn't suit many but who can you trust?

Something similar happened to me on the L&L a good few years ago and could have easily sunk my boat. I posted about it on here, but some said I was in the wrong rolleyes.gif

I agree with your sentiments in your last sentence. When your boat is entering/in the lock it is "your" lock for which you are responsible, and not for others to decide the fate of your boat.

Something similar happened to me on the L&L a good few years ago and could have easily sunk my boat. I posted about it on here, but some said I was in the wrong rolleyes.gif

I agree with your sentiments in your last sentence. When your boat is entering/in the lock it is "your" lock for which you are responsible, and not for others to decide the fate of your boat.

A greenie for you

I find all the locks on that branch are what i call half and half locks otherwise if I'm driving I end up bevving the rollocks off the old gal else she ends up going where I don't want her to.

Edited by tillergirl

I find all the locks on that branch are what i call half and half locks otherwise if I'm driving I end up bevving the rollocks off the old gal else she ends up going where I don't want her to.

i'm well used to these locks. My tactic is to put the tiller hard over (so the rudder can't get caught on the gates) then keep it ticking over in reverse, watching the gap between the fender and the gates. As long as the paddles are not raised too quickly this keeps the boat under control as it rises. Take the boat out of gear if it is not needed, then by the time the lock is full it should have drifted gently towards the top gate, maybe just nudging it gently as the lock is nearly full.

I think boat position is key. Up or down, putting the boat at the front of the lock minimises its movement from water flow, because it nudges up to whatever is in front of the boat. Going down there are no issues with the flows. Going up, because they're deep I open 1 paddle 2/3, then fully open it and the other 1/3, then near the top fully open both. The boat rests on the cill with the gear in idle forwards. If there's someone on the boat then they can control is very smoothly, if not then the position of the boat can be controlled by timing the paddle openings - when a paddle is opened the boat is pushed backwards, then sucked forwards. (As it comes forwards and is near cill/gate, open the paddle(s) a bit more and it will go back again, etc).

i'm well used to these locks. My tactic is to put the tiller hard over (so the rudder can't get caught on the gates) then keep it ticking over in reverse, watching the gap between the fender and the gates. As long as the paddles are not raised too quickly this keeps the boat under control as it rises. Take the boat out of gear if it is not needed, then by the time the lock is full it should have drifted gently towards the top gate, maybe just nudging it gently as the lock is nearly full.

This is the method that we use. I must point out that our boat is 40ft and that this method may not work on longer boats.

Steve

I think boat position is key. Up or down, putting the boat at the front of the lock minimises its movement from water flow, because it nudges up to whatever is in front of the boat. Going down there are no issues with the flows. Going up, because they're deep I open 1 paddle 2/3, then fully open it and the other 1/3, then near the top fully open both. The boat rests on the cill with the gear in idle forwards. If there's someone on the boat then they can control is very smoothly, if not then the position of the boat can be controlled by timing the paddle openings - when a paddle is opened the boat is pushed backwards, then sucked forwards. (As it comes forwards and is near cill/gate, open the paddle(s) a bit more and it will go back again, etc).

I use this method if I am single-handing going up locks. However some cills are better than others to leave the boat pushing against. No problem on the Cheshire locks for instance, but not so easy on the Middlewich Canal locks as there is more risk of getting the bow fender caught.