Caldon or Bridgewater?

Dave_P

Featured Posts

We've been on both & enjoyed both of them. But...I have to say we really loved the Caldon.As others have said-plenty to see & do,a steam train by a pub (which was a cracking place to moor),lovely scenery & both picturesque & interesting locks.A great canal.

Trina

Last time I spoke to him,the enforcement officer on the Bridgewater was the manager of the marina at Preston Brook. Spread pretty thinly,as he has to look after Castlefield as well . I like the Bridgewater,but I would go for the Caldon in your case .Froghall has no facilities apart from the railway station and the pub.If you cant get through the tunnel and moor in Froghall Basin or the Utoxeter Basin,then mooring next to the remains of Thomas Bolton Copper Works is nothing special. On the other hand,the Leek arm is very nice and Leek is worth a visit(15 or 20 minutes walk from the end of the arm and up a steep hill)

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd give an update. We chose the Caldon and you lot were right. It's stunning. We stopped near Stockton Brook the first night. Then went down to Froghall the next day and had a ride on the steam train. Yesterday we came up to Leek and walked into town for drinkies and food.

We have tickets for Batman v Superman tonight at Etruria so I'm now contemplating braving the storm for the journey back to the T&M.

I thought I'd give an update. We chose the Caldon and you lot were right. It's stunning. We stopped near Stockton Brook the first night. Then went down to Froghall the next day and had a ride on the steam train. Yesterday we came up to Leek and walked into town for drinkies and food.

We have tickets for Batman v Superman tonight at Etruria so I'm now contemplating braving the storm for the journey back to the T&M.

So soon? Batman had a home match yesterday:

http://uk.soccerway.com/matches/2016/03/27/turkey/3-lig/batman-petrolspor/darica-genclerbirligi/2111610/

Glad you enjoyed it, might have a run up there myself later in the year. We stayed in a cottage near Froghall last year which was very pleasant.

This is a hard call, the Caldon is hard work, lots of locks which you will have to do twice, but it is very pretty. Having said that the real question is are you just boating along and bagging a length done,or are you going exploring.

Both win in the explore front

The Caldon has Leek which is nice to walk and explore. Then there is Foxt village at the far end. There are several nice pubs along the way, The Fox & Goose, in Foxt, The Black Lion at Consall Forge, The Boat Inn at Chedleton Station and the Churnet Valley Railway to visit. Followed by the black and red lions and the flint mill at the other end of Cheedleton Village.

Next is the Hollybush at Denford and then the Sportsman at Stockton Brook. Finally at the end of the countryside you have the Foxley Arms. Don't forget to visit the flint mill at Etruria.

The Bridgewater, is very easy boating, Runcorn although some may consider it a very depressed area, is worth a visit if it is only to walk along the promanade. and a look at the Ship canal and the old lock line. Norton Priory on the Runcorn arm is worth an explore.
Worth while walking up to the Talbort Arm Tunnel Pub on top of Preston Brook tunnel.

Don't know what the Red lion is like in Preston Brook

Nice pub at Walton, and Lymn is well worth an explore.

I like Dunham Massey, there are several good pubs here abouts, IT is also well worth going and seeing the Deer in Dunham Massey Park and NT place, right nextr to the canal,

Both Manchester and Worsley are worth a visit and as a bonus you get to sail over the Tank at Barton when doing the later, and pass under the first ever Intercity Railway bridge.

--

Cheers Ian Mac