Caldon or Bridgewater?

Dave_P

Featured Posts

I've got a bit of time off work at Easter so was planning a cruise north from Stone to the Weaver and back down to Audlem. I just discovered that I have slightly longer than I thought so I'm after some advice on extending the cruise. My two choices would be the Caldon or the Bridgewater. I've never been on the Caldon and i've only ever done a short bit of the Bridgewater on a friend's boat.

What are the pros / cons of each choice?

We/I dont do a lot of exploring around the canal, but in terms of boating the bridgewater is a wide deep canal with large bridges, where the cauldon is a narrow canal.

The bw has the barton tank, worsley which is nice, upto plank lane? Beyond? Or a short detour up into manchester, meal at the whalf pub.

Cauldon backs onto the steam railway, and you can then see if you will fit throught froghall tunnel, its tight but a lot will.

Up to you really I guess?

Daniel

Caldon every time. The Bridgewater has the historical cachet but I find it a pretty boring cruise until you reach Manchester; whereas the Caldon is full of interest - Leek, Cheddleton, Hazelhurst, Froghall, the Churnet river section, the steam railway, the urban bit through Stoke. The Bridgewater's worth doing as a transit route on the way to somewhere else, but I wouldn't choose it as a destination.

It depends how much time you've got off work. Stone to Froghall Basin is only about 25 miles, OK there's a lot of locks (30ish) but it's only 2 or 3 days each way, the Bridgewater trip or as suggested Anderton lift and maybe the River Weaver would be much longer and then save the Caldon trip for when you have less time.

If as suggested you might get as far as Manchester then that's a totally different trip to 25 miles up the Caldon.

K

Caldon every time. The Bridgewater is pretty boring. An alternative would be T&M to Anderton then down into the River Weaver via the lift

I'm doing that anyway.

It depends how much time you've got off work. Stone to Froghall Basin is only about 25 miles, OK there's a lot of locks (30ish) but it's only 2 or 3 days each way, the Bridgewater trip or as suggested Anderton lift and maybe the River Weaver would be much longer and then save the Caldon trip for when you have less time.

If as suggested you might get as far as Manchester then that's a totally different trip to 25 miles up the Caldon.

K

You misunderstand. I'm doing Stone to Audlem with a detour on the Weaver anyway. I'm asking about which of the two to add on.

Personally I would add the run up the Caldon as long as you have the time to take in Leek and Froghall along with the various spots along the way and not just blast to the end and back. I found the Bridgewater a bit boring although the last time along we only went as far as Lymn which is a pleasant village.

I'm doing that anyway.

You misunderstand. I'm doing Stone to Audlem with a detour on the Weaver anyway. I'm asking about which of the two to add on.

Assuming it's your boat, and it's based in Stone, do the Bridgwater

The Caldon is only 9 miles and a dozen or so locks from your base and can be done in a long weekend, whereas you are based 42 miles and nearly fifty locks from the Bridgewater, but are getting to within six miles and 1 lock of it at Anderton - returning to the Bridgwater at some future date won't be anything like so easy

The Caldon is only 9 miles and a dozen or so locks from your base and can be done in a long weekend, whereas you are based 42 miles and nearly fifty locks from the Bridgewater, but are getting to within six miles and 1 lock of it at Anderton - returning to the Bridgwater at some future date won't be anything like so easy

It can indeed be done in a long weekend, if you don't want to savour the peace and beauty of the upper reaches. It took us over a month.

Again. Misunderstanding. I'm not sure what else I can say to make it easier to get. I'm after opinions on whether the Bridgwater or the Caldon is a better cruise. Where I'm based is irrelevant. (My home mooring is in Brum but I cruise within commuting distance for a good proportion of the year. The Weaver, The Bridgewater etc aren't in commuting distance so count as a holiday for me.)

I suppose the Bridgewater doesn't really lend itself to an out-and-back cruise due to the restriction to 7 consecutive days for CRT licence holders, although I suppose that clock resets if you venture out the far end (unless there's a 'no return within' rule?) I believe you're also only allowed to moor for 24 hours in any one spot, so it's not a destination for leisurely boating! I also seem to remember services like Elsan points seeming a bit thin on the ground.

Having said that, I don't remember it being as boring as some are suggesting! There's Worsley, there's the Barton Swing Aqueduct... Sale is quite nice by the waterside... I suppose I picture it as being a bit suburb-y much of the time, rather than particularly scenic and rural; that's the impression I'm left with after a couple of cruises a couple of years ago, anyway. I've never done the Caldon, so can't comment on that.

Edited by magictime

Caldon every time. The Bridgewater has the historical cachet but I find it a pretty boring cruise until you reach Manchester; whereas the Caldon is full of interest - Leek, Cheddleton, Hazelhurst, Froghall, the Churnet river section, the steam railway, the urban bit through Stoke. The Bridgewater's worth doing as a transit route on the way to somewhere else, but I wouldn't choose it as a destination.

I can see that being a fair call.

Really like the Bridgewater, but one of the things thats nice is that you can put the boot down and get along it! The boat was also launched over the side at Worsley, so it sort of feels like home!

K

Canal plan ac.....

Daniel

EO on the Bridgewater told me 7 days with no return for 28. No mention of 24hrs - there are always boats moored in Sale for several days and the displayed limit in Lymm is 48hrs.

There are probably more places of interest away from the canal on the BW compared to the Caldon but less scenic - depends what the OP wants.

EO on the Bridgewater told me 7 days with no return for 28.

The enforcement officer provided incorrect information unfortunately, there is no mention of any "no return" time frame written down in any canal rules, byelaws, license terms and conditions or user guides.

CRT boats are allowed upto 7 consecutive days, and can return at any time. Just like Bridgewater licensed boats are able to spend 7 consecutive days with no return restrictions.

Mooring along the whole length of towpath is restricted to 24hrs as mentioned earlier, apart from when signposted such as in Lymm, The Old No 3, Castlefield etc.

Liam

The enforcement officer provided incorrect information unfortunately, there is no mention of any "no return" time frame written down in any canal rules, byelaws, license terms and conditions or user guides.

Does that mean you can return after half an hour?

Mooring along the whole length of towpath is restricted to 24hrs as mentioned earlier, apart from when signposted such as in Lymm, The Old No 3, Castlefield etc.

Is it enforced anywhere? The EO didn't seem to think it worth mentioning.

Does that mean you can return after half an hour?

I suppose if the rule is simply 'seven consecutive days,' and you'd used up all seven, you'd have to stay away so that the day you left the Bridgewater and the day you returned to it were non-consecutive - e.g. if you left on the Monday, you'd have to wait till Wednesday to return.

So no, it doesn't mean you could return after half an hour.