Four Counties Ring

golfer

Featured Posts

looking to do the four counties in august 07, starting out from Middlewhich Hire Boats, anyone done it from this location and can give me a rough guide where i should be each night to be on scedule ( weeks boat hire) I intend going clockwise,

Brochure says boat available after 3pm is this always the case with this company?

4th time on narrow boat but hiring a 70ft this time, any major problems i may encounter

many thanks

G

Hi G

According to 'Pearsons canal guide' the 'Four Counties' is 55hrs traveling time that works out to just over 9hrs a day.

Some will say it is possible, well it is, but the scenario: up at 6, start travelling at 7, travel for 4.5 hrs, break at 12:30 (lunch one hour) continue at 13:30 travel for 4.5 hrs stop at 6.

This will need to be done every day and does not allow for any delays.. Hope you have an enthusiastic crew

The pick up time is 'normal it may be later if there is a delay in turnround work needed also on the last day it will need to be back at probably 09:00 hrs

You could look at Canalplan AC 'plan a journey' on the left hand side.

edit: to add link

Edited by bottle

I did the Four Counties last year. We did our usual - cruising from 6am till about 11, when we stopped for a couple of hours for lunch and to have a look around. We then set off again at about 4 and cruised until around 7 or 8pm.

We started off from the Bridgewater, so 2 days cruising to and from Middlewich at the beginning and the end of the holiday, and we also found time to spend a couple of days in Stone too. You say you've hired before so you should know the basics but it all depends on what you want to do. If you're wanting a relaxing holiday then maybe try Chester/Ellesmere Port but if you're up for a bit of adventure and want to get a bit of mileage and cruising under your belt, go for it, it's definately do-able.

Hi G

According to 'Pearsons canal guide' the 'Four Counties' is 55hrs traveling time that works out to just over 9hrs a day.

Some will say it is possible, well it is, but the scenario: up at 6, start travelling at 7, travel for 4.5 hrs, break at 12:30 (lunch one hour) continue at 13:30 travel for 4.5 hrs stop at 6.

This will need to be done every day and does not allow for any delays.. Hope you have an enthusiastic crew

The pick up time is 'normal it may be later if there is a delay in turnround work needed also on the last day it will need to be back at probably 09:00 hrs

You could look at Canalplan AC 'plan a journey' on the left hand side.

edit: to add link

I agree with bottle, doing this ring in a week is why you hear comments from people that narrowboating is so stressfull. You need 10 days, dont be a hero

Charles

done the four counties four times in last 3 years.....will be 5 in july.

Always done it in a week......

Keep coming back....

Never get stressed......

And others ive taken have enjoyed it too.

Its each too his own, and im guessing as you've been 4x on a nb you dont need telling how much time you should/nt be spending at the tiller.

Do a search there is plenty of similar threads.

For me id do as follows

wheelock

harecastle

tixall

brewood

mk drayton

Audlem

nr middlewhich

only a rough guide though

i can see a least 3 sub 9 hour days in there..

being summer you might get delays at cholmondeston lock

Edited by kawaton

We did the Four Counties Ring (anti-clockwise) a few years ago in the now infamous "Holly".

Yes, the days were long, but it was summer with long daylight hours. We did it comfortably in a week and still had time to go up the Caldon for a day and a half. We found time for leisurely lunches and eating out every evening. Cruising is not stressful. Go for it.

We did most of the Four Counties Ring as an add-on to our two week cruise last May.

Cruise Log

We had to miss out most of the section from Autherley Junction to Great Haywood due to lack of time (but we WILL be back to complete the missing bit!)

As John said, 9 or 10 hours at the tiller isn't excessive, especially when you consider how much you pay as a hire boat. We need to get our money's worth! We cruised from about 8am until dusk, but we enjoyed every minute of it. We wanted to see as much of the system as we could. Although 11-12 hours cruising may sound a lot, when we were doing it, it didn't seem like that. We only stopped when the light went and the wine was at room temperature.

Janet

It depends how you like to spend your holiday. I like being on the boat, and find I'm always awake early and ready to go, and fall asleep early at the other end of the day.

I never find the book estimates of how long a journey will take tend to be on the pessimistic side. It's probably because they allow 20 mins for a lock, and narrow locks in particular don't take 20 mins (unless you find yourself in a huge queue...)

I did it in a day...........................................................................................was by car though :D

Golfer is on holiday and i doubt he wants to going at full tilt all of the time, but he may want to have a go at being a 'fly boater' as I said in my first reply

Some will say it is possible, well it is
, but is it what Golfer wants.

Yes, the guides may be pessimistic on there timings but you only need one major delay..................anyway if you do get to far in front of your schedule you can either slow down or have some time off from actually travelling and chill.

Golfer only you can decide if you want to do it but most of all enjoy the journey, then come back to the forum and let us all know how it went. :cheers:

I did Bunbury to Penkridge in 2 days but it was madness and my excuse was I was boat moving not holidaying.

Now my boat is down on the T&M (from it's usual home on the L&L) I am looking forward to doing the 4CR and have 3 glorious weeks (albeit in school hols). Can't decide whether to hide down the Caldon or brave the Llan-G and the swathes of Canaltime boats.

We did the 4 Counties two years ago in a week with no problems. We had a crew of 3 adults plus a 4 and a 6 year old. Although two of the adults had hired several times in the past, the other was a novice and it was the first time we'd been on the canals since the children were born.

I suppose that it depends on what you want to do. We all have pretty sedentary, indoor jobs. So we enjoy the activity of our week on the canals. However, we typically don't start till 8am, then cruise for 4 or 5 hours - stop for a good two hours for a pub lunch and then cruise on till 7 or even 8 if the light allows. We do enjoy looking around the villages when we stop, but, for us the holiday is the canal. If we see somewhere we want to spend a whole afternoon - we'll sometimes go back there after we collect the car.

One tip with cruising rings is to plan where you should be each night (using canal planner and assuming the same length of cruise each day). Then try to get a bit ahead of this for the first few days. You then have an hour or so in hand for unforseen problems. (Or for longer pub visits...)

As far as the 3pm pick up goes this is pretty typical. But if you want to go earlier, it is worth giving the boatyard a ring and asking them. I usually do this and say that I'll be arriving say at 1pm. They'll never guarantee an earlier start, but since they can't send off all the boats at exactly 3pm they are usually happy for you to go earlier if the boat's ready.

Ann

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...l=four+counties

Here's a link to a previous topic on the same subject.....

The responses are similar on that thread.

Im guessing none of the replies on this thread have come as a surprise....as you started that one also.. :D

And a trip report for you to check out....

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...l=four+counties

Edited by kawaton

done the four counties four times in last 3 years.....will be 5 in july.

Always done it in a week......

Keep coming back....

Never get stressed......

And others ive taken have enjoyed it too.

Its each too his own, and im guessing as you've been 4x on a nb you dont need telling how much time you should/nt be spending at the tiller.

Do a search there is plenty of similar threads.

For me id do as follows

wheelock

harecastle

tixall

brewood

mk drayton

Audlem

nr middlewhich

only a rough guide though

i can see a least 3 sub 9 hour days in there..

being summer you might get delays at cholmondeston lock

We are planning to travel the four counties ring in April 2008 starting at Barton Under Needwood. We will be taking our time, two weeks but we are wondering about the section between Brewood and Market Drayton. How comfortable is it to travel that whole section in one day and is there much to see around there that will slow us down. Also between Market Drayton and Nantwich we are planning to do in one day, so have the same queries for that part.

We know the weather can be pretty unpredictable in "pommy land" but can anyone give us an idea what to expect around this time.

P.S. love the forum

Edited by harleyj

we are wondering about the section between Brewood and Market Drayton. How comfortable is it to travel that whole section in one day

Hi Harley, I make Brewood to Market Drayton 22 miles or 7 hours. On top of that you've got the lock at Wheaton Aston where there could be a queue (it took us 3/4hr last week) and the 5 locks at Tyrley, so that stetch is probably do-able in around 9 hours. There's not that much to see, though you might want to stop a while at Norbury. Personally, I'd stop short of Tyrley and Market Drayton at Goldstone Wharf (bridge 55) as we have been very impressed by the Wharf Tavern.

edit: here you are, a couple of pics and pub mention towards the bottom of post#21

Also between Market Drayton and Nantwich we are planning to do in one day

We're still relative newcomers, but have done Goldstone Wharf to Nantwich in a day. From our log, Sat. 19/8/06 (rainy), 15 3/4 miles, 27 locks. That's about 5hrs cruising + 5hrs locking, so it's a good day's work, but possible. Would certainly have included a pint or two at the Shroppie Fly at Audlem. If you're in no great hurry, why not break your journey there.

As complete novice hirers, we did the ring in 9 days, and were able to detour and mess about for another 4.

We know the weather can be pretty unpredictable in "pommy land" but can anyone give us an idea what to expect around this time.

No. Sorry, no rules. This April has been glorious and it looks set to continue, but I seem to recall April '06 was pretty foul and Spring was very late.

P.S. love the forum

Thanks, and so do I, and welcome :(

Edited by Moley

Hi Harley, I make Brewood to Market Drayton 22 miles or 7 hours. On top of that you've got the lock at Wheaton Aston where there could be a queue (it took us 3/4hr last week) and the 5 locks at Tyrley, so that stetch is probably do-able in around 9 hours. There's not that much to see, though you might want to stop a while at Norbury. Personally, I'd stop short of Tyrley and Market Drayton at Goldstone Wharf (bridge 55) as we have been very impressed by the Wharf Tavern.

edit: here you are, a couple of pics and pub mention towards the bottom of post#21

We're still relative newcomers, but have done Goldstone Wharf to Nantwich in a day. From our log, Sat. 19/8/06 (rainy), 15 3/4 miles, 27 locks. That's about 5hrs cruising + 5hrs locking, so it's a good day's work, but possible. Would certainly have included a pint or two at the Shroppie Fly at Audlem. If you're in no great hurry, why not break your journey there.

As complete novice hirers, we did the ring in 9 days, and were able to detour and mess about for another 4.

No. Sorry, no rules. This April has been glorious and it looks set to continue, but I seem to recall April '06 was pretty foul and Spring was very late.

Thanks, and so do I, and welcome :(

Thanks Moley

Using Nicholson"s and canalplan I have come up with an itinirary which goes something like this;

Fradley Junction

Great Heywood

Penkridge

Brewood

Market Drayton

Nantwich

Middlewich

Hassall Green

Hardings Wood

Etruria

Stone

Rugeley

Alrewas

That gives us 13 nights so we have a spare night so a recomendation for another stop would be most appreciated.

And for any Aussie's out there in Canal World "Go The Eagles"

looking to do the four counties in august 07, starting out from Middlewhich Hire Boats, anyone done it from this location and can give me a rough guide where i should be each night to be on scedule ( weeks boat hire) I intend going clockwise,

Brochure says boat available after 3pm is this always the case with this company?

4th time on narrow boat but hiring a 70ft this time, any major problems i may encounter

many thanks

G

When we are hiring we always arrive very early, announce our presence and then keep well out of the way. In that way we have often managed an extra 2 or 3 hours cruising!

Nick

When we are hiring we always arrive very early, announce our presence and then keep well out of the way. In that way we have often managed an extra 2 or 3 hours cruising!

Nick

Similarly, we normally get close to the boatyard by lunchtime and give them a ring to see whether the boat might be ready early. If it is, they're often glad to get a boat away before the rush starts. If it's not, we go and have lunch before turning up slightly less early.

Incidentally, harleyj, I notice you've got Great Haywood on your list of overnight mooring places. A really attractive place to moor in this area is Tixall Wide, where the Staffs and Worcester becomes more like a lake. It's very beautiful.

We enjoyed a week going round the Four Counties anti-clockwise in October. Three of us on the boat:- two adults and a teenager on his first trip. My husband is an early riser, so he tended to be up and ready for the off well before us. It helps to have an agreed system for going through locks and we found a child's intercom handy as a way of communicating with the people on the towpath and the person steering the boat, so speed could be knocked right back if someone was using the lock ahead.

Avoid mooring near Wildwood on the outskirts of Stafford (we were on the receiving end of stones that broke one of our windows) but apart from that we had no problem. The canal was our holiday and we were loaded with provisions for the week, so we tended not to wander far away during the day.

Have a good trip.

My family did the Four Counties in a week three years ago without a problem. We got an earlier start than you were able to, but this was more to do with avoiding the large numbers of boats leaving Black Prince's Etruria boatyard. We were the second boat to leave and it meant we were at the head of the queue when it came to the locks (which are literally just a minute or two along the canal). One thing we do on our pick up days is to have a 'proper meal' out at lunchtime so that we just have something easy to prepare for the evening meal (and a few beers). With a crew of four we also get showers while we are on the move - not generally while going through locks though!!

Wheelock and Market Drayton are a couple of our favourite stops. We have been up Heartbreak Hill twice, the best, and worst, was when we started out very early. Best because we could send people ahead to prepare the locks the worst because it poured down the whole time - we made a brief stop at the Golf Club to buy waterproof trousers for our teenage sons!

I'm sure you will enjoy the trip.

Zoe

Edited by Zoe